Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,840

0 members and 1,840 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Longest holding humidity substrate?

What is the longest holding humidity substrate?

I live in arizona... i currently use a mix of forest floor and cocohusk... but still dries out quickly and even with heavy misting still just drys right out by night time... just wondering if there might be a more humidity holding substrate out there?

Thanks
    Forest Floor cypress mulch and cocohusk are already some of the best humidity holding substrates around. Some other ways to boost humidity are scattering damp sphagnum moss (soak with water, then squeeze out the excess) throughout the enclosure and increasing the size and number of water dishes.

The type of enclosure you use also makes a big difference. Plastic Sterilite containers with holes drilled in the sides work best for maintaining humidity because there is much less humidity escaping compared to the screen top of a glass tank. That said, glass tanks can work too if you block most of the screen top with tin foil.

Thanks

Re: Longest holding humidity substrate?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Forest Floor cypress mulch and cocohusk are already some of the best humidity holding substrates around. Some other ways to boost humidity are scattering damp sphagnum moss (soak with water, then squeeze out the excess) throughout the enclosure and increasing the size and number of water dishes.

The type of enclosure you use also makes a big difference. Plastic Sterilite containers with holes drilled in the sides work best for maintaining humidity because there is much less humidity escaping compared to the screen top of a glass tank. That said, glass tanks can work too if you block most of the screen top with tin foil.
    about 95% of the top of the enclosure is covered with foil (screenside) and painters tape on top of that... my temps are perfect... its just holding humidity in this arizona dry weather ughh... they are in my walk in closet to keep humidity in a little longer.. in my bedroom the humidty lasts even less.

Their sheds are perfect.. its just alot of daily work to keep humidity in... i was hoping maybe to get it to every other day lol
    Last edited by rockmissjess; 07-02-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I used a mix of Orchid bark and Eco Earth very successfully years ago ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cypress mulch and coconut cheap (not husk) will be the beddings that hold humidity the best.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockmissjess View Post
    What is the longest holding humidity substrate?

I live in arizona... i currently use a mix of forest floor and cocohusk... but still dries out quickly and even with heavy misting still just drys right out by night time... just wondering if there might be a more humidity holding substrate out there?

I live in AZ also. Tucson. I use Cypress Mulch and I still have to spray it 2x a day. I haven't tried anything else yet.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    There are lots of tricks you can use to keep humidity up.

Are you using a glass tank with a screen top? If so, I'd be happy to help you out. I've been successfully using glass for many years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (07-02-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I live in AZ also. Tucson. I use Cypress Mulch and I still have to spray it 2x a day. I haven't tried anything else yet.
    I havent either which is why im curious.. im up by prescott

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    There are lots of tricks you can use to keep humidity up.

Are you using a glass tank with a screen top? If so, I'd be happy to help you out. I've been successfully using glass for many years.
    yes, I have two 40 gallon breeders with screen tops... tops are foiled with painters tape over the top.. about 95% covered... i thought about getting the clear plastic sheeting (thats like glass but not glass) instead... and just cutting it to fit each to hold humidity better... if I run a humidifier in the snakes closet i can get up a little (i have a small humidifier) i was also thinking of investing in a bigger humidifier that can run longer times...

Thanks

Covering the top with aluminum foil or aluminum foil tape is a must. I think you already said you do that. Cypress mulch is the best I've found, but even in Florida which is very humid, the humidity only holds for a couple weeks. Don't bother misting with water. Instead, when your humidity drops pour a couple cups of warm water over your substrate and mix it in very well with your hands. Much more effective than misting.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast