Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,400

3 members and 3,397 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New rescue!!!! need advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Correct, Pedialyte or plain water injected into dead rodent would be helpful, IF hydration is an issue. Sounds like once you get the enclosure at the proper temps &
    humidity, & then maybe offer a humid hide, it's only feeding you have to worry about. Though it's also possible that many of those urates in the cage were pretty old?

We're all rooting for her & you.
    While I wouldn't usually just assume that they were fresh, she let me know she was comfortable enough in my travel pillowcase to confirm they all weren't to old. I have never had a snake "pee" during transport.. But then again I also have never rescued a snake in this condition, shes giving me a lot of firsts haha

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yesiwantacookie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-18-2018)

Thanks

I'm really torn right now. It's feeding day for my other bp and I brought a rat through the room the calico is in and she popped her head out of the hide and started smelling everywhere. She seems to be comfortable here and interested in a meal. I know she needs time to settle in, but I feel like it might just be better to go grab a rat pup to see if she will take it.
    Anyone see any huge downside to offering her a small meal after only 5 days with me? Even just in the time it took me to sit down and start typing this she has completely come out of her hide and started searching her enclosure. The only real downside I could see is having to throw away her meal and trying again in another 5 days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yesiwantacookie View Post
    I'm really torn right now. It's feeding day for my other bp and I brought a rat through the room the calico is in and she popped her head out of the hide and started smelling everywhere. She seems to be comfortable here and interested in a meal. I know she needs time to settle in, but I feel like it might just be better to go grab a rat pup to see if she will take it.
    Anyone see any huge downside to offering her a small meal after only 5 days with me? Even just in the time it took me to sit down and start typing this she has completely come out of her hide and started searching her enclosure. The only real downside I could see is having to throw away her meal and trying again in another 5 days.
    I've always offered meals to my new acquisitions when it's regular feeding time. If they take it, great. If not, I try again the next week. They usually eat.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yesiwantacookie View Post
    If she’s showing interest, I don’t see any harm in offering. I think 5 days is a good enough settling in period. It seems like you are already prepared and willing to throw away uneaten prey, so I’d give it a try.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I've always offered meals to my new acquisitions when it's regular feeding time. If they take it, great. If not, I try again the next week. They usually eat.
    I seriously hope she does!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    If she’s showing interest, I don’t see any harm in offering. I think 5 days is a good enough settling in period. It seems like you are already prepared and willing to throw away uneaten prey, so I’d give it a try.
    Okay good, thank you! I've never rehabbed a snake, but I feel pretty confident in my ability to do so only because I know I can come here for some solid advice.
    Heading back to the pet store now! Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    If I were in your shoes, I'd try feeding her since she really showed interest. There's no magic number of days you must wait with new acquisitions, as long as you
    can live with the results either way. Some snakes are ready much sooner than others.

All my fingers are crossed for you too now.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-22-2018),yesiwantacookie (12-22-2018)

Thanks

Smile Re: New rescue!!!! need advice please

SHE ATE!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!

They didn't have any rat pups or any weaned rats, soooo i decided to go with a mouse ~20 grams. She slammed it against the wall as soon as I brought it in the enclosure and instantly coiled. As soon as she was content with how dead it was (even though I feed pk) she tried to eat it from the side. it took her a couple tries to position the mouse correctly but she did! I don't think I've ever seen a meal go down so quick! She is still searching for more but i'm sure shes just stuck in feeding mode and will settle back in her hide later tonight.
    We aren't out of the woods yet, but this little girl is a fighter and has already surprised me! Thanks to everyone for the great advice and encouraging words. I'll probably start a progression thread soon for her.
    In the meantime, how to I post pictures on here?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yesiwantacookie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-22-2018),Dianne (12-22-2018),Godzilla78 (12-22-2018),MR Snakes (12-22-2018),Skittles1101 (12-22-2018),WhompingWillow (12-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    AWESOME!!!!! You're off & running! (sorry I don't know a thing about posting pics here but someone else will fill you in, I'm sure)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Download the tapatalk app to post pictures. Soooo easy!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

I'm so happy she ate! Definitely a good sign, and I'm sure now that she has proper care you'll get her back to good health and where she should be in no time.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast