Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

1 members and 2,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I read your post (and may have missed this) but how are you presenting the f/t prey? Most snakes won't strike at non-moving prey, so it helps to offer it on tongs...grasp the prey around the shoulder region and "zombie walk" it around the tub, mimicking rodent movements. If she takes mice more readily, then start with f/t mice.

To thaw mine, I put them in the fridge overnight. Then the day of feeding, I place them out, on top of or near my snakes for 2-3 hours to get up to room temp. After that, I heat with a blow drier until they feel warm to the touch, heating the head more than the rest of the body. I then offer on tongs using the zombie dance walking. I have one feeder that sometimes will not take on first offering, so I offer to her first, feed everyone else, wait about 15 minutes, then offer to her again after re-heating with the blow drier. She will usually take then. I also have one that will only take rats that have been scented by rubbing a f/t mouse on them. I've got one that is shyer and won't take if you walk the prey towards her.. You have to walk it around the tub like it is unaware of the snake (i.e. from side to side) she will then get interested and stalk it and strike.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Michelle-07 (10-11-2018),Ronniex2 (05-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I've tried all feeding "tricks" but BP still not eating F/T

^As post above ^

Also try feeding in the evening with dim-low lighting .

Also the mouse/rat has to be warm for some - which means reheating each attempt with a blow dryer and offering instantly.

I saw one post a while back , saying he'd warmed it up and dangled it for TEN MINUTES !!

For some that's no use as the mouse cools down so quickly ,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-16-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Highly recommend feeding it during the night if you haven't done so already. Its their instinctive hunting time, and I've gotten much faster strikes while doing so. I kind of see morning feedings like a breakfast-in-bed that you were woken up for; you want to eat the food, but your also half awake and barely know whats going on.

Zombie dance seems to be almost a must for Paarthurnax, he will eat stuff thats left around the tank, but he was actually a bit scared of his food this week (moved him up to weaned) until I danced it around, and then he instantly turned around and struck. Definitely get an email back over to Brian at BHB, I've heard them giving decent advice in the past to people who are having problems with their snake.
    Last edited by Slicercrush; 04-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

What about Deff strikes v/s Feeding strike (wrapping/coiling)

If theystrike from within their hides, I saw someone mention, maybe in another thread,that it may be a defensive strike and not a feeding response?.

But even if they wrap around the F/T and pull it back in the hide?

That’s what my baby boy did last night... I found the mouse in the hide this morning? he was on the other side of the enclosure... would you say this was his hunger or defensive? it’s been almost 2.5 weeks (friday) sense I got him and last night was my 1st attempt feeding, he was on F/T before I got him and

Thanks
    Usually, they won't wrap and pull if they are being defensive. I have one baby that when I first got her, was very shy and nervous...She would do repeated-fast-strikes at the prey with no attempt to hold on or wrap. When she got more settled an calm, she then would strike and wrap normally.

If mine want food, they will typically have their neck / head out of their hide, pointed towards the front of the bin. If they are defensive or not interested, they will be completely in their hide or will move away from the feeder.

Your snake striking and wraping the prey is a good sign. You might want to try a slightly smaller prey item or try warming the prey a little more and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes they will just not like a particular feeder also and "reject" it by leaving it.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-04-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: What about Deff strikes v/s Feeding strike (wrapping/coiling)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniex2 View Post
    If theystrike from within their hides, I saw someone mention, maybe in another thread,that it may be a defensive strike and not a feeding response?.

But even if they wrap around the F/T and pull it back in the hide?

That’s what my baby boy did last night... I found the mouse in the hide this morning? he was on the other side of the enclosure... would you say this was his hunger or defensive? it’s been almost 2.5 weeks (friday) sense I got him and last night was my 1st attempt feeding, he was on F/T before I got him and

I suggest starting your own thread.
    A) you won't be hijacking another old thread
    B) you'll get more traffic on a new thread and likely receive more replies

Thanks

Re: I've tried all feeding "tricks" but BP still not eating F/T

Quote Originally Posted by slseals1969 View Post
    Do you know how warm you are heating the food?

I thaw mine in the fridge overnight then put in hottest tap water (around 100f) for around 20 mins then take them out of the water and nuke the water 2 minutes which gets it up to around 120f. Put them back in the water for about 5 mins and then feed right away straight off tongs. It works for both snakes, haven't had a refusal in months from either snake except once each when their eyes were cloudy and they obviously couldn't see going into shed. Successfully switched both from mice to rats.

Now my girl will take either/or/both at the same time if I'm supplementing smaller rats. It sounds like maybe I just got lucky from all the stories but best of luck. Have you tried the zombie dance? Moving the warmed prey around with tongs as if it's living? Just one more suggestion...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    When you say you put the rat in hottest tap water, then again in the nuked water - are you putting the rate in a ziplock bag & in the water (keeping it dry) or do you put the rat right in and feed wet? Thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soulparagon View Post
    I received it from BHB reptiles. Prior to them sending a snake they call you and let you know what they're feeding them and how many times they've eaten prior. They told me she was on f/t large mice and had eaten for 2 months just fine. I guess it might just be a unlucky change. She's a sweet snake, only ever stricken once when I first got her and opened the bag. Ever since then, never again. She not skittish at all unless i place a f/t rat/mouse in front of her. But I'll try switching her every few weeks of proper feeding on live. Tha k you.
    Did you ever have luck getting your snake to take f/t? Any feedback to share? Very interested to know how you made out. Thanks!

Thanks
    My female Lesser was a picky eater when I first got her. She was in a 20G terrarium. As son as I moved her to a rack setup she became a better eater. If its an option, consider moving to a rack setup.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rottn View Post
    When you say you put the rat in hottest tap water, then again in the nuked water - are you putting the rate in a ziplock bag & in the water (keeping it dry) or do you put the rat right in and feed wet? Thank you!
    That's a good point as two of mine won't eat anything that's been dipped in water - I'm guessing it washes off most of the scent .

That's the beauty of the hairdryer method of course .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast