Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

0 members and 2,931 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Re: Substrate issues

Quote Originally Posted by Snakemom85 View Post
    I don't think infrared bulbs are good for them especially not if you run them all the time. They can see the red light so it messes up their day night schedule. I use a che for ambient temps and a uth to keep his hot hide around 90. People have different ways of doing things. Lots of people keep their bp in tiny dark plastic tubs on newspaper and a water bowl and nothing else. I highly disagree with that method but I don't ridicule people who choose to house their snakes like this.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    Unless you have actual facts about red or infrared lights, please don’t go on about how awful they. The 4 male ball pythons and countless other boids I’ve keep over the years, are and were extremely healthy. 2 of my boys (balls) at 5 years old are pushing 1700 to 1800 grams. Doesn’t sound unhealthy to me. Stick to what you preached about many “ways to skin a cat”. And maybe a little less opinion.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Um, I was not trying to be rude or bash anybody. I was just saying what I have heard and I was not saying absolutely don't use red bulbs. I never once said anything to bash anybody using those I just stated what I use.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ok, phew.....

I was worried there was a recall on ReptiBark.

This is why it's so important to cross reference information and learn from reputable sources. Just cause one meathead says there's something wrong with ReptiBark doesn't mean it's true. I use it, all my animals are thriving...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpowell View Post
    He seems happy with it..... I going to try coco husks next to see if I like that better The only problem I have with the forest floor was just the chemical smell it almost smells like kerosene or like a really strong paint thinner that’s not a good smell And Lucifer was going crazy he was always hanging out at the top refused to come down he was he would sit elongate along the side of his tank going upward towards the top of the tank so I knew something was wrong

Another thing occurs to me, & may or may not be the case: for whatever reason, scents (even like perfumes) don't register (smell) the same to all of us; it might even be that you have a sinus issue (again, pure speculation) that affects how you perceive the scent of Forest Floor? Just a thought anyway...it seems odd that you didn't notice the smell when you first put it in his cage? Personally, I like what I'd describe as the "earthy" or "grassy" smell of moss & such products used for our snakes, but possibly it smells different to you?

Since you observed your snake avoiding the substrate & since this smelled like kerosene or paint thinner*, it's for the best that you didn't ignore this. You don't have to read much news today before you find all sorts of products that have been recalled for contamination, & you have to figure that not all products with contamination get called out-especially if only one or two bags are affected. *Both of those products are highly flammable too- personally I'd probably test that out cautiously in a safe area with a tiny amount of the stuff.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-22-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Ok, phew.....

I was worried there was a recall on ReptiBark.

This is why it's so important to cross reference information and learn from reputable sources. Just cause one meathead says there's something wrong with ReptiBark doesn't mean it's true. I use it, all my animals are thriving...
    that's why I came here I am so sick of jerks on fb who thing they know everything..... ug.......

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-23-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-23-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpowell View Post
    that's why I came here I am so sick of jerks on fb who thing they know everything..... ug.......
    I ditched FB entirely probably 6+ years ago. I don't miss it at all. But I have heard (primarily here on the forum) that a lot of the snake groups on FB are pretty toxic.

Thank you for raising the question here though. It can't hurt to ask and may potentially help others by bringing it up

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-23-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123