Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,742

0 members and 1,742 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Bp rubbing face on hides

So was wondering is it normal for bp to rub there face on stuff first time I've seen my guy do it. He doesn't have mites and no respitory issue's. He feed on Wednesday. His temps have been good hot side is usually 88 to 90 cool side is low 80s humidity is 54 to 56 usually. So don't know why he would be doing it unless its normal

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Bp rubbing face on hides

Quote Originally Posted by Billy1222 View Post
    So was wondering is it normal for bp to rub there face on stuff first time I've seen my guy do it. He doesn't have mites and no respitory issue's. He feed on Wednesday. His temps have been good hot side is usually 88 to 90 cool side is low 80s humidity is 54 to 56 usually. So don't know why he would be doing it unless its normal
    Snakes rubbing their faces on rocks or branches is NORMALLY the way they start to loosen their shedded skin ...

I’d start spraying the viv to help it come off in one or two pieces ..

If it isn’t a shedding issue the spraying won’t do any harm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-31-2020 at 02:58 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Billy1222 (05-31-2020),Bogertophis (05-31-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-31-2020)

Thanks

Re: Bp rubbing face on hides

So what if he isn't going through shed is it a normal thing for them to do. Or will they do it a week before they start shedding. Just new to bp so don't know what types of things they do just normally. When I looked it up it said could be mites or ri but he doesn't have either so just want to make sure its not health related

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Billy1222 View Post
    So what if he isn't going through shed is it a normal thing for them to do. Or will they do it a week before they start shedding. Just new to bp so don't know what types of things they do just normally. When I looked it up it said could be mites or ri but he doesn't have either so just want to make sure its not health related
    It he's not starting a shed, he might just have an itch on his face, or water in his heat-sensing pits. And many snakes actually wipe their faces after they eat...presumably to remove the scent of their prey, in case they meet another snake (any kind) or even a potential mate. If you're a snake & your face smells like rat urine, you might just get bit or even killed by mistake. Except for shedding or the possibility of getting eaten by our friends, most of us wipe our faces for the same reasons as snakes...

BTW, in the past when I've put snakes together for mating I've always rinsed their faces first as a precaution. Especially king snakes, since they're not so discriminating about what qualifies as dinner, but other snakes could make a mistake too...especially if the timing is wrong for mating.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-31-2020 at 06:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Billy1222 (05-31-2020)

Thanks

Ok so no need to worry then. Any of you use a humidity box for your bp. If so do they do pretty good with using it was going to make one for my guy come time he sheds

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts
    I don't currently have BPs but many here who do have posted about using humid hides...it can't hurt, & I've found that most snakes really appear to appreciate them.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It he's not starting a shed, he might just have an itch on his face, or water in his heat-sensing pits. And many snakes actually wipe their faces after they eat...presumably to remove the scent of their prey, in case they meet another snake (any kind) or even a potential mate. If you're a snake & your face smells like rat urine, you might just get bit or even killed by mistake. Except for shedding or the possibility of getting eaten by our friends, most of us wipe our faces for the same reasons as snakes...

BTW, in the past when I've put snakes together for mating I've always rinsed their faces first as a precaution. Especially king snakes, since they're not so discriminating about what qualifies as dinner, but other snakes could make a mistake too...especially if the timing is wrong for mating.
    Was about to say, mine always yawns and rubs her face after a meal even if there's nothing visible caught on her face

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Absololol For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-01-2020)