Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,157

2 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Scabbed, Thinning Scales Around Spine + Infected(?) Eye

I don't know specifics for temperature and humidity because I don't have readers. Just know there's a hot, or warm end and a cool end. I spray the cage with warm or lukewarm water 2-3 times a day to keep humidity up. He's in a 20 gallon tank and has pine wood shavings as a substrate.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    I don't know specifics for temperature and humidity because I don't have readers. Just know there's a hot, or warm end and a cool end. I spray the cage with warm or lukewarm water 2-3 times a day to keep humidity up. He's in a 20 gallon tank and has pine wood shavings as a substrate.
    Ok, well maybe I was wrong....

Maybe these animals need a new home regardless. You don't even know your temps?? No wonder your parents didn't know what to do. The person responsible for teaching them doesn't know how to properly care for them...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2020),jmcrook (03-15-2020)

Thanks

Im sure there are other with more experience than me who will chime in, but there are a lot of red flags there.

You need to know exact temps, as it doesnt take much to be too hot or too cold for a bp.

You also need a humidity gauge, as obviously your tank is way too dry, thats why he isnt shedding properly.

Shavings shouldnt be used as they dont hold humidity and mold when wet.

Im not criticizing you in any way. I myself had a bp years ago and did not do great with husbandry, but have learned a lot since then.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2020),MamaRhea (03-15-2020),Nixon (03-15-2020)

Thanks

If you search this site, there is great info on bedding, thermometer, thermostat, etc choices. There are people on here who are very knowledgeable and helpful that we can learn from. Our snakes all deserve wonderful and proper care, and its up to us to learn and provide it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-15-2020),GoingPostal (03-15-2020),Nixon (03-15-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Ok, well maybe I was wrong....

Maybe these animals need a new home regardless. You don't even know your temps?? No wonder your parents didn't know what to do. The person responsible for teaching them doesn't know how to properly care for them...
    While I understand that husbandry is important, you have no place to tell me I'm a bad owner. I worked my ass off years ago trying to help my ball python recover from slipped skin disease. I care about my animals, and it's not full on full on neglect to not have a thermometer and a tracker for the humidity. I've seen snake breeders shove their living animals into small boxes with paper bedding and they get praised. So don't shun me for not having the perfect husbandry. If you can't get your point across respectfully, then just get out and leave this thread alone.

---

TurningStar;

Thank you for taking a more respectful approach to it. I'll look into going to Petsmart tomorrow and getting gauges. If better bedding isn't horribly expensive, I'll get some. But as of the corona virus nonsense, I'm not getting paid from my part time job. Hell, I haven't even gotten my first paycheck because for some reason the first pay isn't direct deposit.
    Last edited by Nixon; 03-15-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks

Reptibark, coco coir or even cypress mulch are good at retaining humidity and can be found inexpensively. You can also make a humid hide out of a tupperware container and damp sphagnum moss. Place it in the cage for them to utilize whenever needed.

I use thermostats from amazon for about $20. Not everyone recommends them, but I havent had any issues with our 3 snakes and tortoise.
    You can also get a point and shoot laser thermometer on amazon or walgreens for about $10.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turningstar For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-15-2020),GoingPostal (03-15-2020),MamaRhea (03-15-2020)

Thanks

New bedding is a definite must. Pine has oils that are extremely harmful to snakes and will only exacerbate any existing issues. I personally would consider removing the substrate and using a few layers of paper towels, both to keep the wound clean and easier to monitor, but also to replace the pine if you can't afford a better substrate.

Knowing the exact numbers for your Temps and humidity is also important though. Especially with an under tank heater. They are notorious for getting too hot and burning reptiles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that since you don't have temp or humidity sensors that you don't have a thermostat?

Some of these fixes are slightly on the pricey side, but it's going to be very important in helping your snake recover. I get money being tight. I'm a single mom that can't reasonably work until the schools open again. Still, if you take the responsibility for a life, it's up to you to either provide it with what it needs, or surrender it to someone who can. Just my two cents. I hope your baby gets better, and I hope you find a way to afford the needed changes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaRhea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2020),Craiga 01453 (03-15-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    While I understand that husbandry is important, you have no place to tell me I'm a bad owner. I worked my ass off years ago trying to help my ball python recover from slipped skin disease. I care about my animals, and it's not full on full on neglect to not have a thermometer and a tracker for the humidity. I've seen snake breeders shove their living animals into small boxes with paper bedding and they get praised. So don't shun me for not having the perfect husbandry. If you can't get your point across respectfully, then just get out and leave this thread alone.

---

TurningStar;

Thank you for taking a more respectful approach to it. I'll look into going to Petsmart tomorrow and getting gauges. If better bedding isn't horribly expensive, I'll get some. But as of the corona virus nonsense, I'm not getting paid from my part time job. Hell, I haven't even gotten my first paycheck because for some reason the first pay isn't direct deposit.

You may care about your animals, but unless you're willing and able to provide proper homes and care for them it's not fair to the animals. YOU have a choice, THEY do not.

Yes, breeders do use racks and provide little as far as space or enrichment, but I guarantee they know their temps and their heating equipment is regulated by thermostats.
    That's because they do it the right way. With the safety of the animals being top priority.

I'm not saying you're a bad owner, I'm just saying you should have been prepared and set your enclosures up properly. There's a reason EVERY SINGLE CARE SHEET talks about temperature... because it's IMPORTANT to the well being of the animal. If you can't be bothered to spend ten bucks on thermometers then maybe it's time to reconsider keeping them.
    I saw above you're planning on going to PetSmart. Save yourself some money and go to Walmart or Amazon and buy decent digital thermometer/hygrometer combos. I use Accurite brand, but there are others you can use.
    However, you made no mention of buying thermostats. They're literally the most important piece of equipment you can have.
    Google snake burns if you need to, but unregulated heating equipment can burn your snake, cause neurological damage or even be fatal.

And unless you get the right equipment and start keeping the animals properly it's inevitable that you'll have more vet trips in your future. And since your a college kid earning a part time paycheck that may not be possible.

I'm not bashing you, I'm teaching you. And if you aren't able to hear constructive criticism you'll never improve. I may not wrap everything in rainbows and bunny rabbits, but what I say is true. It's our responsibility as keepers to keep them the best way we can. That means buying proper equipment before buying animals. That means teaching the people watching our snakes how to properly care for them.
    But it starts with us, and the animals don't get a choice.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-15-2020),MamaRhea (03-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Looking at it for a while I see stuck shed and scrapes down the back.

I'd try a soak in warm water ( around 86f - and only deep enough to come half way up his body. about 20 minutes is long enough to start to loosten the skin) and then trying to remove the shed from his head and back so you can get a better idea of what you are dealing with. Then you will be in a better position to judge his overall condition.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-24-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12