Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

1 members and 3,032 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Anything I'm missing on this regurg/vomit?

I moved him last week to a small 6L tub to help with his security and temperatures. Small flower pot hide, water bowl, UTH. It's 55-60% humidity and UTH has the bottom of the hide at exactly 90 for 1/3 the bottom of the tub, air temperatures 75-85 across the gradient. But he refused a 5g live fuzzy last night and his weight is down to 50g. Not sure what else to do

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    I moved him last week to a small 6L tub to help with his security and temperatures. Small flower pot hide, water bowl, UTH. It's 55-60% humidity and UTH has the bottom of the hide at exactly 90 for 1/3 the bottom of the tub, air temperatures 75-85 across the gradient. But he refused a 5g live fuzzy last night and his weight is down to 50g. Not sure what else to do
    Not sure I'd have moved him to a different set-up...that alone is scary, disorienting & can put a snake off-feed. But he's there now, so I hope it works out for him.
    This is why we nag everyone to set up & actually test their enclosures for at least a week before any creature moves in- it's stressful for them when you have to re-do things & they're still afraid of you on top of the fact that "their world" keeps inexplicably changing.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-20-2020),dakski (11-20-2020)

Thanks

It wasn't my first choice either, but based on the reading I'd done, including some of the stickies here, a 30G terrarium seemed too large for a 60g baby. For what it's worth, the reptile store I purchased him from talked me into the larger terrarium and as a new owner I didn't argue the point.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

It wasn't my first choice either, but based on the reading I'd done, including some of the stickies here, a 30G terrarium seemed too large for a 60g baby. For what it's worth, the reptile store I purchased him from talked me into the larger terrarium and as a new owner I didn't argue the point.
    I understand. And that's a very common situation, btw- listening to & believing the retail sales pitches- most stores put profits way ahead of expertise, if they even have expertise. Many don't.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

As Bogertophis said, what's done is done.

Absolutely leave him alone for a week and then offer again.

Did we go over the steps of properly defrosting and offering prey? If not, I will post.

If so, just follow those steps and offer again in a week.

No taking him out. Leave him be.

If he doesn't take the F/T you might have to offer live to get him going again. That's a last resort, but honestly, you are getting close to that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-20-2020)

Thanks

I've never used f/t on him because the reptile shop that sold him to me said he'd only taken live prey to that point and I wanted to first get him to take food in his new home before I tried to transition him to f/t. Unfortunately, by timeline he arrived here at ~60g on Oct 17th, took a small adult and fully digested it on 10/22, took another small adult on 10/28 but vomited up the hindlegs on 10/31. Since then he was rested until 11/11 and has refused live large-fuzzy or small hoppers on November 12th and 19th. He's down to 50g and has noticeable wrinkling along the last 1/3 of his body length.

The only handling has been when I needed to refill with clean water. Otherwise he's in his tub which is in a terrarium and is in a room out of the way so gets no foot traffic.

At this point I'm fine with any feeding option, but I feel like at 50g he's dangerously low weight. He seems very chill in his tub. Spends some time in his hide, some time outside his hide.

Thanks

I thought I'd give up update on how this whole situation ended up playing out...

I kept the little fellow, Joe, in his 6L tub until mid-to-late February and he still wouldn't eat despite various trials of f/t and live prey. He bottomed out at around 50g and got relatively dehydrated. I ended up being put in touch with a snake and reptile breeder who walked me through the process, and over the course of November through January did 5 assist feeds. We'd wait a couple weeks, offer food, if refused, he got an assist and then we'd go back into waiting to see if his appetite would kick in. His weight stabilized and he gained a little bit back up to the 70g range but still would not take food on his own. At that point, I was noticing that he was spending most of his time being active in his tub and trying to leave, despite temperature and humidity being right on. I decided to take a chance and moved him to a 15L tub and gave him a couple weeks during which he seemed more calm.

At this point it was March, he hadn't had an assist feed in ~8 weeks.

His next food offering in the 15L tube was a f/t weaned rat which he refused but I tried being a bit aggressive, which I had tried before without success, bopping him a bit with the rat to try and prompt a strike, and he got the idea and struck. He had no idea what to do with the rat though at that point and got very worked up, poking it with his nose a lot but seemingly clueless beyond that. Using tongs I moved the rat and it was very clear he wasn't going to let it leave the tub, biting onto it and wrapping it up immediately. Rinse and repeat for about 30 minutes...confusedly poke at rat, move rat, bite and wrap, poke, move rat, wrap, etc. Eventually he figured it out and swallowed all on his own. The breeder wanted me to take things slowly to acclimate him to eating and to keep him a little hungry to stimulate feeding, so 2 weeks later I tried another feed, which he took instantly as soon as he saw it come into the tub. Similar poking and wrapping, but he figured things out sooner than the prior time and got everything down. Unfortunately, about 72 hours later and completely undisturbed, he threw it up into his water dish while shedding. Lesson learned there...the rat was probably a bit too big on the weight side for him, despite his ability to swallow it, and I think I need to be very careful with this snake to not feed around shed time as right now he just does not like uncomfortable stimuli when digesting! He went back on food holiday for a few weeks to let his system rest, but now we're back to the "new normal".

He's taken 4 consecutive feeds from early April to present. No more poking, wrapping, poking, etc...he strikes and swallows and is now steadily, albeit slowly, putting on weight, up at 95g. He finally had a complete shed with no retained parts this last week during which I skipped his feeding to make sure he could focus on his skin, and ate again 72 hours ago.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we made it through this learning period and he's figuring out how to do the things he needs to do as a snake! Maybe by next year I'll have gotten over the trauma of the last 6 months to even consider a 2nd ball since this one technically belongs to my daughter!

https://imgur.com/a/qyNeKu6

https://imgur.com/a/NngOpJn

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempo36 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-15-2021),Bleh (10-09-2021),Bogertophis (05-15-2021)

Thanks

Almost one year anniversary for Joe...291g, eating very readily every week. We'll see if he has a winter fast...

Thanks all for the encouragement during our initial difficult time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempo36 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-09-2021),dakski (10-10-2021),EL-Ziggy (10-09-2021)

Thanks

Almost one year anniversary for Joe...291g, eating very readily every week. We'll see if he has a winter fast...
    What an enjoyable outcome to this thread. And what a pretty little guy he is. Interesting pattern with the alien heads too

Whilst still growing, and now an established eater, if he does decide to fast, it shouldn't be for long.

I have a small collection of BP's all of which I've had since snakelets and only 2 have given me a winter fasting worry with the longest being two months. The others have maintained their food eagerness throughout as youngsters.

The adults I have, one has only gone off her feed whilst building (as expected), and my oldest male has gone up to 6 months (last season), which, although you know the score, is still a worry. They enjoy making you worry. I'm sure of it

Congrats on getting him through, as I said earlier, he's looks really nice.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleh For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Good looking BP. I’m glad he’s eating well for you now.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-10-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast