Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

2 members and 2,885 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

My first attempts at breeding are going well, I think!

Quote Originally Posted by trnreptiles View Post
    I have over 20 ball pythons and have no issues feeding them in the afternoon when there’s still light out. Mine don’t ever refuse food except a few individuals when they’re in shed, and during known reasons such as the breeding season.
    All of my other hatchlings besides two have had to be assist fed so far. The rest have taken at least 1-2 or more meals.

I also feed live, which is controversial in itself but I will not argue about that.

What works for you is fine, and you should keep doing that... but don’t make judgments on others for doing it differently if it works for them, and their snakes are healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who’s making judgments ??

Certainly not me ... last time I looked Royals were regarded as shy and reclusive, nocturnal species so I’d say my comments were fine .

Mine don’t even show their faces until around 7pm so it makes perfect sense yo feed them when they are alert ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 09-12-2020 at 12:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-12-2020)

Thanks

Re: My first attempts at breeding are going well, I think!

Perhaps I was being a little too defensive there, I’m sorry. I’ve dealt with a lot of people in this hobby that would jump on the opportunity to attack me for doing something differently lol

I'm a very enthusiastic young hobbyist that is excited to see what the future brings!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trnreptiles View Post
    Perhaps I was being a little too defensive there, I’m sorry. I’ve dealt with a lot of people in this hobby that would jump on the opportunity to attack me for doing something differently lol

No worries .. I’m more defensive than anyone around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    So basically you went headfirst into breeding with no training or experience and killed a bunch of snakes in the process. A+ job.
    This is why we need rein in the breeding trend. These inexperienced keepers think it'll be cool or profitable to breed snakes and have no idea what they're doing which just leads to dead snakes or snakes with issues that end up being sold and bred to create more issues. The fact that you're so okay with just one surviving baby is disgusting to me.

And no, we're not "jumping on you for doing something differently". We're jumping on you for doing things that endanger living animals. Snake keeping isn't art, you don't get to have your own unique spin on it. They have very specific needs and if you don't meet them properly you don't deserve to own snakes. Your mishandling of this clutch and the fact that you feed live despite knowing it poses a danger to the snakes is absolutely unacceptable.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2022)

Thanks

Wow. One clutch went bad, I’m the most horrible person in existence now.
    Yet my second clutch is healthy and all eating. My third and fourth clutches are doing great in the incubator and should be hatching soon.

What’s disgusting is your accusations and judgments towards me as a person. I was and still am absolutely devastated that most of the clutch didn’t make it, why can’t I be happy that at least one baby survived and is doing well?

Somehow I “don’t care” because I’m not letting it ruin my motivation and love for these animals?
    I could have sold my entire collection and quit on the spot because I failed, but instead I chose to take it in stride and learn from my mistakes. Not everyone gets it right the first time. Stop acting like you’re so much better, it makes you look like a prick.

Either be respectful in sharing your knowledge and what your opinions are, or don’t bother talking to me at all. I don’t listen to people who use insults and ad hominem attacks to try and convince me differently.

I'm a very enthusiastic young hobbyist that is excited to see what the future brings!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trnreptiles For This Useful Post:

cincy (09-16-2020),jmcrook (09-12-2020),Zincubus (09-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Namea View Post
    So basically you went headfirst into breeding with no training or experience and killed a bunch of snakes in the process. A+ job.
    This is why we need rein in the breeding trend. These inexperienced keepers think it'll be cool or profitable to breed snakes and have no idea what they're doing which just leads to dead snakes or snakes with issues that end up being sold and bred to create more issues. The fact that you're so okay with just one surviving baby is disgusting to me.

And no, we're not "jumping on you for doing something differently". We're jumping on you for doing things that endanger living animals. Snake keeping isn't art, you don't get to have your own unique spin on it. They have very specific needs and if you don't meet them properly you don't deserve to own snakes. Your mishandling of this clutch and the fact that you feed live despite knowing it poses a danger to the snakes is absolutely unacceptable.
    Are you sure you can actually see any of us here from all the way up there on that high horse of yours...?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

cincy (09-16-2020),Spicey (10-08-2020),trnreptiles (09-12-2020),Zincubus (09-12-2020)

Thanks

And for the record — I am well aware of the risks associated with live feeding. Hence why I don’t feed anything larger than a weaned/small rat, and why I closely supervise each and every snake I feed, so I can be quick to intervene in the case of a bad strike.

The only time I leave a rodent unsupervised is with young rodents such as rat pups or mouse hoppers, because I know those can’t hurt the snake.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trnreptiles For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (09-12-2020)

Thanks
    Bro your on the right track, most people don’t get it perfect the very first time. How do u get any experience if u don’t do it. You don’t do everything that I do and I’m ok with u as long as the animal is being treated right, most people would have just lied about it if they had this happen. So I see the right thing being done when u said u can do things better and learn from it
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

trnreptiles (09-12-2020),Zincubus (09-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Bro your on the right track, most people don’t get it perfect the very first time. How do u get any experience if u don’t do it. You don’t do everything that I do and I’m ok with u as long as the animal is being treated right, most people would have just lied about it if they had this happen. So I see the right thing being done when u said u can do things better and learn from it
    Thanks man. I did do a ton of research and planning ahead of time before I jumped into breeding, so it’s not like I didn’t have a single clue what I was doing.

And the thing is, I’m still not 100% sure if the babies not making it was because I was checking on the eggs too often. I wasn’t checking them like every day, but it was more like once a week or so. A bit more often when I was monitoring the dying eggs, but still.
    I’ve learned to just “forget” about them, now I only check a week in to make sure they’re still good, and then at 30 days, and again closer to hatch date to monitor them.

My tiny 3 egg clutch from my pewter female that’s due to hatch in the 29th of this month has started dimpling, which is expected, but the eggs are still healthy.
    My nice 10 egg clutch from my spider female are also doing great, and they’re due to hatch on October 13th.

Thanks

Speaking of, Charlie’s clutch just started pipping yesterday.

All look healthy and beautiful! Charlie is a pewter, and she was paired to Peanut, my butter spinner.

The first one to pip was also the first one out, and it’s a little boy. I think he’s a butter spider.
    The other two I believe are a cinnamon pastel spider, and a pastel butter spinner. Just guesses based on some research I did

Gwen’s clutch is also still doing fine, all 10 eggs are healthy with good veins. Some are dimpling, but they are on day 44 now so I know it’s just because we’re getting closer to their hatch day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast