Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

1 members and 2,804 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

My Coasty Keeps Growing!

For a girl that doesn't eat much, this girl continues to grow. She's 4 years old and getting longer.

She's still leaner than most but she'll eat a rabbit when she's hungry.

Carpets are great. I had a beer out on the deck with my wife last night and Jewel just hung out.

The length is getting to impressive levels. She's not huge yet, but getting longer and longer each year.

Love these Aussie pythons!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-13-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-12-2017),jmcrook (08-12-2017),John1982 (08-13-2017),Jollyrogers (08-13-2017),KevinK (09-07-2017),Prognathodon (08-13-2017),Reinz (08-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: My Coasty Keeps Growing!

My oh my... she looks outstanding, Gio! Definitely leaner than some but looks very fit and athletic. You've got a great crew at your place! Cheers brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    My oh my... she looks outstanding, Gio! Definitely leaner than some but looks very fit and athletic. You've got a great crew at your place! Cheers brother!

Hey JM,

She's a terrible eater, almost as bad as the royal, but when she eats she takes A LOT of food in. Usually 2 large rats, or a decent sized small bunny.

She's the nicest, most personable snake here. I wish she'd eat regularly, but in a way I like when my snake control their intake. The boa and even Wallace will refuse at certain times. Usually when in shed.

How are things going at the new place?

I just got word my cage is a few days away from being shipped!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

My Coasty Keeps Growing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Hey JM,

She's a terrible eater, almost as bad as the royal, but when she eats she takes A LOT of food in. Usually 2 large rats, or a decent sized small bunny.

She's the nicest, most personable snake here. I wish she'd eat regularly, but in a way I like when my snake control their intake. The boa and even Wallace will refuse at certain times. Usually when in shed.

How are things going at the new place?

I just got word my cage is a few days away from being shipped!
    That's one of the nice things about Geoffrey's winter fasting habits, no worries of him getting obese but it is annoying after a few months. Gerald won't take anything in shed or come out of his hide at all. Haven't tried to feed Phyllis in shed for a while, but she's taken prey in the past while in blue. Took her considerably longer to figure it out and get the rats down though.

Things are going alright, thanks for asking. Getting my Drawing 1 and Design 1 syllabi prepped for the new semester that starts next week. Kinda nervous about establishing myself at a new campus in a new setting and all, but I know I'll be fine after the ball gets rolling. I tend to make things a bit more high anxiety than they need to be sometimes lol!

It is a bit of a culture shock though. Being from a more progressive and bigger city, moving to a town of 24,000 people is definitely a big transition. Most noteworthy for me is the severe lack of solid beer options around here. I'm admittedly a bit of a brew snob and apparently brewing has only been legal in Mississippi in the last several years so my choices are lacking to say the least. Having beer refrigerated at the store is apparently a new thing in the last 6-7 years down here!?!? Yikes... I got a bit spoiled having numerous craft beer bars and bottle shops in Columbia, MO. I'll survive though.

That's awesome your new cage is almost ready! I expect a deluge of photos hahah. Ali at AP said mine should be shipping next week. Not sure what day but after 18.5 weeks of waiting I'm beyond ready for this thing to be up and running. Definitely doing a sky hide and possibly a perch. Perch will be easier to install post-build than the sky hide so I may wait to install closet rods and holders until I figure out how much space I'll really have to maneuver in there with an, at times, wiley 7-8' Phyllis hahaha!

Geez that post got a little long winded...

Last edited by jmcrook; 08-12-2017 at 08:22 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    That's one of the nice things about Geoffrey's winter fasting habits, no worries of him getting obese but it is annoying after a few months. Gerald won't take anything in shed or come out of his hide at all. Haven't tried to feed Phyllis in shed for a while, but she's taken prey in the past while in blue. Took her considerably longer to figure it out and get the rats down though.

Things are going alright, thanks for asking. Getting my Drawing 1 and Design 1 syllabi prepped for the new semester that starts next week. Kinda nervous about establishing myself at a new campus in a new setting and all, but I know I'll be fine after the ball gets rolling. I tend to make things a bit more high anxiety than they need to be sometimes lol!

It is a bit of a culture shock though. Being from a more progressive and bigger city, moving to a town of 24,000 people is definitely a big transition. Most noteworthy for me is the severe lack of solid beer options around here. I'm admittedly a bit of a brew snob and apparently brewing has only been legal in Mississippi in the last several years so my choices are lacking to say the least. Having beer refrigerated at the store is apparently a new thing in the last 6-7 years down here!?!? Yikes... I got a bit spoiled having numerous craft beer bars and bottle shops in Columbia, MO. I'll survive though.

That's awesome your new cage is almost ready! I expect a deluge of photos hahah. Ali at AP said mine should be shipping next week. Not sure what day but after 18.5 weeks of waiting I'm beyond ready for this thing to be up and running. Definitely doing a sky hide and possibly a perch. Perch will be easier to install post-build than the sky hide so I may wait to install closet rods and holders until I figure out how much space I'll really have to maneuver in there with an, at times, wiley 7-8' Phyllis hahaha!

Geez that post got a little long winded...

I like a long winded post like that.

My wife and I also like the brew pubs.

There is an awesome heavy metal brew pub in Denver that we like. Lots of sours/farmhouse brews there.

Here in MN we have a few too and food trucks are becoming popular near the pubs.

OK, ok. That's non-snakey but quality beer is essential LOL!

I wonder if I should ever do a royal python post.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-12-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    She's a beaut no doubt about it. I can't wait for my copy of Nick/Justin's book to get here so I can read up, learn, and make an educated decision on whether or not to get a carpet for the collection and which one.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    She's a beaut no doubt about it. I can't wait for my copy of Nick/Justin's book to get here so I can read up, learn, and make an educated decision on whether or not to get a carpet for the collection and which one.
    Oh you should get one. They are really one of my all around favorites.
    I think you'll be amazed at how easygoing and fun they can be when properly cared for.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Jewel is one of my favorite snakes on the forum Gio. She's a gorgeous carpet. Looks like she's pushing 8 ft there.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Jewel is one of my favorite snakes on the forum Gio. She's a gorgeous carpet. Looks like she's pushing 8 ft there.
    That's really nice of you to say!

I consider her a mutt, and just wanted a costal carpet. She was 1 of 3 I thought was pretty at the expo back in 2014, but I wasn't after anything special. Of course after getting her I researched carpets endlessly.

She tends to look better in pictures which is unusual but I do love her.

I WISH she was a better eater, but she does eat and really does grow. I actually have a hard time getting her full body in a picture when she's stretched out.

I love my retic but carpets and boa constrictors are IMO the best combo.

You get the live birthing boas and the egg laying pythons. So different in so many ways but also so similar in habit.

I'd take another coastal in a heartbeat!

That was a really nice comment Zig,

Thank you.
    Last edited by Gio; 08-13-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Jewel definitely lives up to her name, she's a real beauty.

I know what you mean by adding more Coastals.

I was satisfied with Lizzy, but ended up with two more Coastals, Mack and Etta. Etta is slender like Jewel and is approaching 7 foot or right at it. She only cuts back on meals in the Winter.

Lizzy and Mack, while only a foot longer, absolutely dwarf Etta in size and weight. They are not overweight, just big. Lizzy has a giant head, it amazes me every time I study her. Both of them rarely ever refuse a meal.

I like how you can use your porch railing. I have nothing to set my snakes on anymore for any amount of time. They are all so long they can reach furniture, ceiling fans, and other fixtures that are not appropriate. You see in my past posted photos that I use the ski machine a lot. It only works short term as a perch until my snakes figure a way of "off the island".

Like you, I'm a huge fan of Boas and Aussies. Just wish I had room for dozen more of them. Why not, I'm already known as "that guy"!

Keep posting your fine photos, I really enjoy your collection.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-14-2017)