Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,341

2 members and 2,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shed question

Thanks

Shed question

My guy is a July baby. Got him on the 27th of Aug. He looked very sharp when i got him so I'm guessing he was pretty recently shed. He hasn't shed for me yet. Humidity is 60-65 on the warm side, 45-50 on the warm. Should I give him more time yet? Or give him a soak. I see very small pieces of shed in his enclosure. Like tall tiny single scale looking pieces

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I take it this is your first snake? & that you don't know how to tell when they're "in shed"? One thing that confuses most ppl is that snakes cloud up for a few days to a week, then "go clear" (look normal, as if they've already shed, but they didn't-& you won't find it anywhere) and only THEN they actually shed. Reason: their body secretes moisture between the old & new layers of skin, making the old skin (that's about to come off) translucent so you think it has already come off when it hasn't yet. That moisture helps them shed, & IF they're dehydrated (or just busy digesting a meal) they may be unable to do this effectively.

I'm asking because you don't want to be randomly soaking a snake if you aren't sure he needs help & really is due to shed. If you see small pieces of shed skin in his enclosure, you should also be seeing evidence that some skin is stuck ON him...are you seeing that? Are his eyes cloudy, or were they? Have you LOOKED for the rest of his shed in his home? (sometimes it's rolled into a tight wad & underneath substrate or under cage furnishings- it may not have come off all at once, so LOOK for it)

Soaking a snake is also stressful for most snakes- better to give him a very moist "humid hide" (or a very damp towel) to lay in for a while, to soften up remaining stuck shed, if any.

Also bump up his humidity to 70%- & maybe mist his enclosure- during the time he's in a shed cycle & when he's physically trying to shed.

BTW- avoid feeding a snake that's cloudy or due to shed soon- it often makes it worse- trust me. Both digestion & shedding uses up water from the snake's body- if they aren't very well-hydrated, they may have trouble doing both simultaneously, & may require lots of help if they get stuck in their old shed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-05-2021),rzeppy (10-06-2021)

Thanks

Re: Shed question

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I take it this is your first snake? & that you don't know how to tell when they're "in shed"? One thing that confuses most ppl is that snakes cloud up for a few days to a week, then "go clear" (look normal, as if they've already shed, but they didn't-& you won't find it anywhere) and only THEN they actually shed. Reason: their body secretes moisture between the old & new layers of skin, making the old skin (that's about to come off) translucent so you think it has already come off when it hasn't yet. That moisture helps them shed, & IF they're dehydrated (or just busy digesting a meal) they may be unable to do this effectively.

I'm asking because you don't want to be randomly soaking a snake if you aren't sure he needs help & really is due to shed. If you see small pieces of shed skin in his enclosure, you should also be seeing evidence that some skin is stuck ON him...are you seeing that? Are his eyes cloudy, or were they? Have you LOOKED for the rest of his shed in his home? (sometimes it's rolled into a tight wad & underneath substrate or under cage furnishings- it may not have come off all at once, so LOOK for it)

Soaking a snake is also stressful for most snakes- better to give him a very moist "humid hide" (or a very damp towel) to lay in for a while, to soften up remaining stuck shed, if any.

Also bump up his humidity to 70%- & maybe mist his enclosure- during the time he's in a shed cycle & when he's physically trying to shed.

BTW- avoid feeding a snake that's cloudy or due to shed soon- it often makes it worse- trust me. Both digestion & shedding uses up water from the snake's body- if they aren't very well-hydrated, they may have trouble doing both simultaneously, & may require lots of help if they get stuck in their old shed.

ok thanks. i'll try the holding his food back for a couple days and keep that humidity up. but i havent seen him curled up lately and his neck has some pretty good wrinkling on it when i finally saw it. i think 2 days more ill give him otherwise hes going to the vet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rzeppy View Post
    ok thanks. i'll try the holding his food back for a couple days and keep that humidity up. but i havent seen him curled up lately and his neck has some pretty good wrinkling on it when i finally saw it. i think 2 days more ill give him otherwise hes going to the vet.
    It sounds like you may have missed the shed cycle he was in, & now he's got 'stuck' skin. This requires help from you, not likely a vet's care- it's time-consuming & vets primarily treat illnesses & do needed surgeries. Don't feed him until all the old shed skin is off- otherwise any assistance he needs to "un-dress" may cause him to regurgitate what you feed him.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2021 at 01:21 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

rzeppy (10-06-2021)

Thanks

It sounds like you may have missed the shed cycle he was in, & now he's got 'stuck' skin. This requires help from you, not likely a vet's care- it's time-consuming & vets primarily treat illnesses & do needed surgeries. Don't feed him until all the old shed skin is off- otherwise any assistance he needs to "un-dress" may cause him to regurgitate what you feed him.
    Ok. i stuffed some damp paper towel in is hides. should i just lay a well wrung out washcloth on the floor of the cage too?

I must have misunderstood when i read that some people still offer food in blue? he hasnt missed a meal since ive had him. wonder if that was the catalyst to this
    Last edited by rzeppy; 10-06-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks
    It depends on how big his home is? If his skin is as "wrinkled" as you said, it suggests he needs more than minor help, more than just raising humidity. Humid hides or a very damp towel will be more effective if you restrain his activity so he's in contact for some time- might take 2+ or more hours to really soften the dried-on "shed" skin. If you just lay the damp washcloth in his cage, he may or may not stay in contact with it. I like to use those plastic "critter cottages" with the snap-on ventilated tops* for this kind of thing, so there's just enough room that the snake stays in contact with damp cloth. Make sense?

Like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...eeper-aquarium

(they've changed what they call them) (And the ventilated "tubs" that some here use would work too)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2021 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks

It depends on how big his home is? If his skin is as "wrinkled" as you said, it suggests he needs more than minor help, more than just raising humidity. Humid hides or a very damp towel will be more effective if you restrain his activity so he's in contact for some time- might take 2+ or more hours to really soften the dried-on "shed" skin. If you just lay the damp washcloth in his cage, he may or may not stay in contact with it. I like to use those plastic "critter cottages" with the snap-on ventilated tops* for this kind of thing, so there's just enough room that the snake stays in contact with damp cloth. Make sense?

Like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...eeper-aquarium

(they've changed what they call them) (And the ventilated "tubs" that some here use would work too)
    makes sense. do you just loosely place it in there so he can crawl under if he wants to?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rzeppy View Post
    makes sense. do you just loosely place it in there so he can crawl under if he wants to?
    Whatever works. Watch & see what he does- if he doesn't make good use of it, you need to be more involved. You could literally wrap him up in a damp towel & let him rub against it for a while (while you hold the towel with him inside), but he probably won't stay in there if left to his own devices. A humid hide in his cage from now on would probably be a good idea, so he uses it before he gets stuck like this. Once their old skin get stuck on (so it's wrinkling & all) they need more help from you with a damp towel or a soak.

I think you'll find that in the future, it helps to pay attention to when his eyes go cloudy- that's when you want to make sure his cage humidity is about 70% until he sheds, which can be a week or more.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2021 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks

Whatever works. Watch & see what he does- if he doesn't make good use of it, you need to be more involved. You could literally wrap him up in a damp towel & let him rub against it for a while (while you hold the towel with him inside), but he probably won't stay in there if left to his own devices. A humid hide in his cage from now on would probably be a good idea, so he uses it before he gets stuck like this. Once their old skin get stuck on (so it's wrinkling & all) they need more help from you with a damp towel or a soak.

I think you'll find that in the future, it helps to pay attention to when his eyes go cloudy- that's when you want to make sure his cage humidity is about 70% until he sheds, which can be a week or more.
    I'll will try that then. Thank you very much!!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Bogertrophis has probably covered everything you need to know so I'm just going to tell you what works for me when necessary and so it's a possible option for you.

First off, the signs of shedding. When I see belly pinking and / or clouding of the eyes, I increase the humidity in the enclosure. My main method of doing this is to spray the dried out tree bark I have in each their enclosures. It's great and holding moisture and releasing it slowly to raise the internal humidity in their homes.

I'll also spray them directly with some gentle misting. Maybe once every other day until they shed, or humidity starts looking to much in their enclosure.

Now, I have an adult male who's shed is quite unpredictable. Most times he's a clean, off in one go kind of shed but on other times, his shed breaks up, gets everywhere and often has several bits are loosely stuck to him. When this happens, we have a good relationship where he chills and I pick it off him. Jobs a good one.

But then there's the ones where it sticks and need a bit more help with bit of a soak.

When I do this, I use a clear tub with air holes near the top and a lid. I use warm(ish) water (try to match the temp of the BP), put them in the tub which filled maybe just higher than the thickest part of the snakes body and I'll place the tub in the enclosure (as I have space to do so) and after approximately 20 mins, I remove the lid and allow the snake to leave when they're ready (often, they just chill for a little while longer as if they're enjoying a soak in the bath).

More often than not, as they exit the tub their old skin will stay behind, if not, it will easily fall off with a bit of assistane from me.

As I say, you've already been assisted by someone who's told you everything you need to know really, what I'm offering is some things that helps for me.

Hope this helps.

Good luck
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast