Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

0 members and 2,860 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ball Python Stuck!! Hurting himself, please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I so hope the cuts aren't too bad & that he recovers. I know you didn't mean for this to happen. Sooner or later, snakes in captivity have nothing better to do than check out everything within their reach -it's up to us to do the thinking for them, they don't know better than to get stuck. Even in the wild, snakes get killed this way, going thru some kinds of fences (especially 'bird netting' that some ppl use in their garden) or other debris. Just because pet stores sell cage "decor" doesn't mean it's safe...it may be fine for fish to swim thru, but never for snakes. Even driftwood, you have to make sure there's no holes that your snake can get stuck in, & never use cholla logs either.
    My ball python got stuck in BBQ tongs one evening as I was trying to feed him. I have no idea how it happened. In the am, I had my cleaning lady hold his tail (afraid of snakes) while I doused him and the tongs in vegetable oil. I had to squeeze him strongly and pull him out. Unbelievably stressful. The whole time the snake never panicked or struck at me. I still have no ideas how he got into them as his body was at least 3X the width of the opening and I didn't leave him unattended for more than 10 seconds. A little rub mark but be was back to normal in 2 days. I was incredibly lucky. Like OP, lesson learned and now hopefully taught.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Bunsen (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SMTHook View Post
    My ball python got stuck in BBQ tongs one evening as I was trying to feed him. I have no idea how it happened. In the am, I had my cleaning lady hold his tail (afraid of snakes) while I doused him and the tongs in vegetable oil. I had to squeeze him strongly and pull him out. Unbelievably stressful. The whole time the snake never panicked or struck at me. I still have no ideas how he got into them as his body was at least 3X the width of the opening and I didn't leave him unattended for more than 10 seconds. A little rub mark but be was back to normal in 2 days. I was incredibly lucky. Like OP, lesson learned and now hopefully taught.
    Wow, that's a "new one". You & your snake were very lucky, especially since he could have gotten fatal internal injuries that way. Psst, get some long tweezers instead! Midwest sells them...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wow, that's a "new one". You & your snake were very lucky, especially since he could have gotten fatal internal injuries that way. Psst, get some long tweezers instead! Midwest sells them...
    I did the next day. Fortunately they are very flexible animals and built to squeeze.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bunsen View Post
    Omg I have had to worse couple of hours. I couldn't get hold of anyone apart from a local vet who had no clue so I have been easing away the snake with oil and lubrication and I finally got him free!!! He is feeling very sorry for myself and I am on the verge of a panic attack...... He is cut up around the area but he is alive... I am will be going to the vet I know first thing to get him treated but he is back in his hide on the warm side for the time being...

I have had that stupid T rex thing and the ball python for 1.5 years (first time snake owner, got him when he was 3 months old) and I have never seen him do this. It is in the bin already, lesson learned.

Thank you all for your replies, I was way too stressed to answer but I was reading them <3

Will keep you all posted on recovery and treatment
    Good to hear you got it out ..

Did it go completely through or did you pull it out backwards..incidentally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bunsen (01-22-2020)

Thanks

He is the luckiest snake ever. Vet said there was no spinal damage or organ damage (thank god for his mobile heart) and just bruised himself where he got stuck. Some loose scales but overall a clean bill of health. He suggested putting some sudocrem or flamazine on the affected area and keep an eye on it for any scabbing etc. Next time I feed him i might give him a smaller rat size too.

https://imgur.com/a/5v6YFzh

Bogertophis: I know, its 100% my fault and it had honestly never occurred to me that he would do it... There is a photo of his whole enclosure in the link, if there is anything you think is wrong with it let me know. The branches I have are 'Lucky reptile dark grapevine'.

Zincubus: In the end I managed to slide him back out the way he came. He stopped tensing up for a second which was just enough time to slide him back out, either way so so so lucky...

Thanks again for all your input, now I can go to work while he sleeps it off!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bunsen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),O'Mathghamhna (01-21-2020),Team Slytherin (01-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Go through every bit of décor and ensure that there is no fully enclosed "hole" that he could get stuck in. I've even heard of snakes getting trapped in the clear, thin, almost invisible plastic wire loops used to attach price tags to fake plants.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Bunsen (01-22-2020),dr del (01-29-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Wow your so lucky,really glad your snake is OK too
    snakes do daft stuff sometimes that's for sure
    Mine for her head stuck in the circular vent, just couldn't believe it, just glad I was home and heard the commotion from upstairs, she was thrashing about, I had to cut it off her, she wasn't best pleased, luckily the glue gave way and came back with her, she must of pushed her nose into it and when she tried to pull back must been the wrong side of scales, and locked her in place, was round her mouth when I first went up, boy was she freaking out

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 01-21-2020 at 11:07 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2020),Bunsen (01-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Bunsen, I'm SO very happy that your snake is apparently going to be ok after that near-disaster.

Part of the reason snakes go thru "holes" is that they always seek something to hold onto as they move forward. Unfortunately they aren't very visual, & obviously
    not very logical...they're unable to foresee the danger of getting stuck. Sometimes it's because they smell the fresh air from outside their cage and are drawn to try
    to escape, as richardhind1972's snake tried by going thru the vent. It's almost unbelievable but those of us who've been around have seen this before, your snake is
    not the first...and sadly some die from their injuries. I'm very glad that you & your snake have gotten thru this...I'm sure you'll be checking the decor more critically
    from now on. I & many others usually do point out any hazards when we see them, but it's really the job of the owner. It's not the same just looking at a photo.

I agree with you, his next meal would best be on the small size...and I'd led him rest too, as opposed to any handling for a while- I suspect he's plenty sore.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bunsen (01-22-2020),richardhind1972 (01-21-2020)

Thanks

I got some of that flamazine for him and rubbed it on his belly and he doesnt seem to be in any pain at all. I am truly amazed how he managed to get through this relatively unscathed. Watching him like a hawk for the time being!

I'm sure you'll be checking the decor more critically
    from now on. I & many others usually do point out any hazards when we see them, but it's really the job of the owner. It's not the same just looking at a photo.
    Of course, just don't want him getting hurt ever again. I even filed down the edges of his hides when I got them as I thought they were a bit sharp... I will always will conscious of this from now on! The air vents are shut in from the outside so he shouldn't be able to push through it... but richardhind1972's snake just plowed through it!! Well done for getting her out of that. No BBQ tongs in sight either

Go through every bit of décor and ensure that there is no fully enclosed "hole" that he could get stuck in. I've even heard of snakes getting trapped in the clear, thin, almost invisible plastic wire loops used to attach price tags to fake plants.
    I definitely cut all those stupid plastic loops off the plants but I have double, tripple checked his enclosure for anything else but he should be safe....

Thanks again everyone

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bunsen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2020),richardhind1972 (01-22-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12