Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

2 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Weird poops

Thanks

Weird poops

One of my girls has been a little off recently. She was on frozen thawed rats but started only taking live mice recently. She's had diarrhea with a redish tint at times. There is also poop that appears to have a good bit of hair in it. Considering her size and the size of her food, I'm assuming it's some kind of digestion/intestine issue or possible parasite? She's around 1200 grams and was around 1400 when things started going downhill.

I know the obvious move would be to take her to a vet but unfortunately due to recent personal issues, I don't have the time(no reptiles vets near me) or funds at the moment.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how the dealt with it.

1.0 Black Pastel, Lesser, Het Clown
    1.0 Black Pastel ( Possible Sapphire )
    1.0 Bongo, Red Stripe
    1.0 Pastel, Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 African Import Dinker
    0.2 Het Clown
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Yellow Belly, Fire
    0.1 Orange Ghost
    0.1 Mystic, Special
    0.1 African Import Dinker
    0.1 Clown

Thanks

Re: Weird poops

How long have you had the snake and have there been any other recent changes?

My first instinct with anything strange in pooping behaviour is always to jump to parasites - others may correct me, but in other reptiles that has been my experience.

Unfortunately if it is a parasite there aren't really home remedies that will take care of the problem, it needs to be treated by a reputable reptile vet after a fecal sample has been provided. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

My first thought is that there is something wrong with the mice you fed to the snake. Not necessarily that the rodent contained parasites, but, did not digest well. I've fed off rodents with large tumors/abscesses and have seen similar results.

My second thought is that the digestion process was hindered due to poor thermoregulation. If you are running a thermal gradient in the enclosure you may want to reconsider and establish optimum temperatures instead.

Unless you notice a marked decline in your snakes body condition--I wouldn't consider a Vet at this point.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Absololol (01-15-2020)

Thanks

With the 200gram drop in weight and the runny poop I would go with the vet check take stool sample. Has there been any regurgitation?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    My thoughts: I'd take a FRESH stool sample (as best you can) to a vet a.s.a.p.- the reddish tint concerns me (internal bleeding?) & snakes are stoic...often in far
    worse shape than they let on when they have parasites or other illnesses.

Even if no reptile vet is near you, another regular vet could probably be talked into just checking the stool if you explain your "limited" situation & that alone shouldn't
    cost "an arm & a leg".

One more thing though: Maybe you should reconsider having any pets IF "due to recent personal issues, I don't have the time(no reptiles vets near me) or funds at the moment." That's just not fair to the animals, is it?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (01-16-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Absololol View Post
    How long have you had the snake and have there been any other recent changes?

My first instinct with anything strange in pooping behaviour is always to jump to parasites - others may correct me, but in other reptiles that has been my experience.

Unfortunately if it is a parasite there aren't really home remedies that will take care of the problem, it needs to be treated by a reputable reptile vet after a fecal sample has been provided. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
    2 years. No other recent changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    My first thought is that there is something wrong with the mice you fed to the snake. Not necessarily that the rodent contained parasites, but, did not digest well. I've fed off rodents with large tumors/abscesses and have seen similar results.

My second thought is that the digestion process was hindered due to poor thermoregulation. If you are running a thermal gradient in the enclosure you may want to reconsider and establish optimum temperatures instead.

Unless you notice a marked decline in your snakes body condition--I wouldn't consider a Vet at this point.
    Mice are breed a grow here ATM so not getting from outside source. I know that doesn't really matter much. We have a male also on live mice and he hasn't had any issues so far. Temps don't seem to be a problem as I check regularly.

I'll continue to monitor and get her to a vet before long!

Quote Originally Posted by Mha8649 View Post
    With the 200gram drop in weight and the runny poop I would go with the vet check take stool sample. Has there been any regurgitation?
    There was a regurg a while back. She went off food for a bit after that but then seemed to go back to normal for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    My thoughts: I'd take a FRESH stool sample (as best you can) to a vet a.s.a.p.- the reddish tint concerns me (internal bleeding?) & snakes are stoic...often in far
    worse shape than they let on when they have parasites or other illnesses.

Even if no reptile vet is near you, another regular vet could probably be talked into just checking the stool if you explain your "limited" situation & that alone shouldn't
    cost "an arm & a leg".

One more thing though: Maybe you should reconsider having any pets IF "due to recent personal issues, I don't have the time(no reptiles vets near me) or funds at the moment." That's just not fair to the animals, is it?
    I didn't think about just having a stool sample checked by local vets. I'll look into that.

I completely understand that thinking. If the other snakes start to have issues, I'll consider that option. I do plan on a vet visit or stool sample sooner than later. Thanks for the feedback all!
    1.0 Bongo, Red Stripe
    0.2 Het Clown
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Yellow Belly, Fire
    0.1 Orange Ghost
    0.1 Mystic, Special
    0.1 Clown

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpyt For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-16-2020)

Thanks

I’m just worried, there’s been an outbreak of cryptosporidium serpentis in my area around reptile shows so it is the first thing that I thought of. If you haven’t had any new reptiles or haven’t had the snake exposed to any reptiles that might have it it’s probably not. But I would have the stool checked. There are a number of other parasites that it could be that can be taken care of with drugs. It could also be husbandry issues. I would clean everything really well make sure everything is correct like temp and get the stool checked. I hope everything turns out for the best good luck.

Thanks
    I really do wish you all the best as well, it's not fun having a sick snake; don't forget to let us know what you find out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Absololol (01-16-2020)

Thanks
    She pooped again today/last night. Wasn't full on diarrhea but not solid at all. Had a mouse tail that was undigested. Definitely seems to be something gastrointestinal.
    1.0 Bongo, Red Stripe
    0.2 Het Clown
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Yellow Belly, Fire
    0.1 Orange Ghost
    0.1 Mystic, Special
    0.1 Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpyt View Post
    She pooped again today/last night. Wasn't full on diarrhea but not solid at all. Had a mouse tail that was undigested. Definitely seems to be something gastrointestinal.
    I sure hope she's not housed close to the rest of your healthy snakes & that you're practicing "quarantine" techniques in case this is contagious. It's concerning for a snake to pass parts of prey that are undigested. I hope you get her some help soon, incidentally.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-16-2020 at 09:42 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (01-17-2020)