Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

0 members and 2,801 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    How often is he yawning? Once or twice every time you take him out, or multiple times within 10-20 mins?

In my experience nervousness may also cause a BP to yawn. As mentioned above, it may be a way for them to take in more smells in the air by letting air hit their Jacobson's organ directly.

Thanks

Re: Snake yawns frequently, is it bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    How often is he yawning? Once or twice every time you take him out, or multiple times within 10-20 mins?

In my experience nervousness may also cause a BP to yawn. As mentioned above, it may be a way for them to take in more smells in the air by letting air hit their Jacobson's organ directly.
    I don't monitor him constantly but I have a pet cam on him and he does it mostly at night when he is active. And I see it on the footage that he does it almost daily but not a couple if times in a row.
    He yawns, than he goes on exploring.

Thanks
    It could be a way to test the air if he does it consistently before he explores. How much cover do you have in the tank?

Thanks

BP yawns have always intrigued me. I'm aware of the RI aspect of them, and this is priority check one when I see any of mine yawn.

But I feel I've also noticed some yawn.... 'patterns'.

For example, my eldest male is bit of a shy eater, so it's rare to catch him yawning just after a meal as is a common time to see a BP yawn, but when you do catch him yawn, it'll generally be that one yawn and that's that.

My eldest female, also arguably my best eater (as it stands), when she displays a yawn, I can almost be certain it will be followed by a few more (unless you've just caught her final yawn, that is). Her yawns almost seem longer lasting than any other of the BP's yawns too and I always try to use the opportunities to inspect for anything that looks 'off'.

It's interesting to read in this thread that they can do it for a better sniff of food and that fits in with what may be the habit my the oldest female here as she does act like bit of a starver quite often!

I've found this thread interesting, thank you for raising it.

And to echo what everyone is suggesting, your little guy sounds like he's doing all the snake stuff he should, so unless there is anything that just doesn't seem right, just enjoy learning about him.
    Last edited by Bleh; 10-03-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks

I've just had him out and he did yawn again on my hand. He was extremely excited/nervous. So I am still not sure with this.

This is his enclosure https://www.instagram.com/p/CUkZpbpM...dium=copy_link

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    I don't monitor him constantly but I have a pet cam on him and he does it mostly at night when he is active. And I see it on the footage that he does it almost daily but not a couple if times in a row.
    He yawns, than he goes on exploring.
    Daily or a few times a day sounds normal to me I think most animals probably yawn a few times a day.

Thanks
    I wouldn’t worry about it too much. My green anaconda, mainly when I first got him, but he still does it, just not as much, yawned frequently. I worried about it but no sign of mucus and still feeding so I just let it go. Same thing as you, I have cameras in my cages. That’s when I would see it. I’ve seen my daughters ball yawn a couple times randomly as well. Numerous reasons, just make sure they aren’t holding their mouth open and your not seeing any mucus.

wait until you hear/see them fart. That’s freaky.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Waterman For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Honestly, I love it when my snakes yawn, because that gives me a chance to see inside their mouth (without a struggle), & besides, they look sorta goofy when they do it, but I don't see any of my snakes yawning very often. Then again, I have 19 to keep track of, & I'm not watching them 24/7 either- they're not all in the same room either. Frequent yawning might just be a quirk of this particular snake, so as long as no real symptoms of a problem (like an RI) are being seen, I wouldn't "lose any sleep" over this.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Honestly, I love it when my snakes yawn, because that gives me a chance to see inside their mouth (without a struggle), & besides, they look sorta goofy when they do it, but I don't see any of my snakes yawning very often. Then again, I have 19 to keep track of, & I'm not watching them 24/7 either- they're not all in the same room either. Frequent yawning might just be a quirk of this particular snake, so as long as no real symptoms of a problem (like an RI) are being seen, I wouldn't "lose any sleep" over this.
    It's over so quick that it's tough to get a good look inside. Plus his mouth is tiny but as far as I can see his mouth looks clean without mucus and has a healthy light pink color.
    Haven't been able to inspect teeth yet since he's still so tiny and for not getting tagged reasons.
    Last edited by CakeLike; 10-06-2021 at 02:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12