Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

2 members and 3,207 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

I spent some time today at the local Repticon picking up some supplies and food for my BP. For some reason, I’ve been thinking I want to get a 2nd snake and I’m leaning towards a Hog Island Boa. There’s so many beautiful BPs out there but I think I want something a little bigger and with a little more personality. Found this guy at Repticon but was hesitant to pull the trigger. I’m the kind of person who needs to do their research and have everything set up beforehand.

To anyone who owns a Hog Island, I would love to get your opinions.

Also found this scaless BP for just 13k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-15-2018),C.Marie (04-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Wow that boa is rediccc!!

you didn’t get it ?!?

are you thinking of having it sent to you ? Is it a true hog island? Any info on it. Breeder etc?

i just got a dwarf boa myself. Love bps but want more of a mix and collection.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Sunset Boa (Hog Island)

Very pretty baby! Hog isle care is basically the same as a normal common Bi, they can do fine with slightly lower temps, I keep my pair with a hot spot around 86. As an adult should do just fine in a 4x2 enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Is it a true hog island?
    It's a sunset which means it's a locality cross of a hypo Bi and a hog isle Bi. Most hypo lines came from animals from Panama and it was very heavily bred into Colombian localities.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Very pretty baby! Hog isle care is basically the same as a normal common Bi, they can do fine with slightly lower temps, I keep my pair with a hot spot around 86. As an adult should do just fine in a 4x2 enclosure.

It's a sunset which means it's a locality cross of a hypo Bi and a hog isle Bi. Most hypo lines came from animals from Panama and it was very heavily bred into Colombian localities.
    Ahhh ok thank you! Do you have true hog islands or mixed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    you didn’t get it ?!?

are you thinking of having it sent to you ? Is it a true hog island? Any info on it. Breeder etc?

i just got a dwarf boa myself. Love bps but want more of a mix and collection.
    no, I didn’t pull the trigger because I’m not yet ready. Still waiting on my AP cage that I ordered 2-3 months ago. Plus I feel more research is needed on my part. This looked to be a small time breeder who happens to live close to me so no shipping needed if I pull the plug and go with him. I’m not 100% on a Hog Island but they caught my eye a few months ago and I’ve been exploring YouTube videos constantly. I was asking one of the other big time breefers at the show about a Boas temperament compared to a BP and he immediately said most Boas are like puppy dogs. He proceeded to pull some out and gently grab their head and none of them objected or pulled back like most BPs do.

So you’re enjoying your dwarf so far??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post

Thanks April. I don't know much about Hog Islands or other Boas for that matter but I should be up to speed before I make a purchase. Do they need ambient temps on the same line as BPs (high 70s)??? I'll have a 3x1x1 pvc enclosure w/ a UTH & Tstat but sometimes the ambients could dip. That's why I have an AP cage w/ an RHP on the way.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I was kindof like you, I wanted a bigger snake but not keen on the size the boa got. I researched the different types of dwarf Boa's and decided on the Hogg Island Boa. I purchased a hypo Hogg earlier this year and it was the best decision I've made so far. My girl has such a sweet personality and is chill when I handle her. I decided a couple months later to purchase get sister, so now I have 2 wonderful Hogg Island Boa's and couldn't be happier!!!!
    Don't get me wrong though, I love my 2 BP's but they don't like being messed with to much as they stress out. My other snake, which is a Hognose is another one I enjoy as he is an absolute clown and makes me laugh all the time.

I wouldn't look pass the Hogg Island Boa. They for the most part are low key for a boa, don't get big and have a great personality. Although, like everything else, there can always be a few grumpy ones out there as well.
    Do your research, ask the breeder lots of questions. Ask how big the parents are and what their personality is like? Ask to see pictures or arrange to take a visit and see the parents in person. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (04-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    I was kindof like you, I wanted a bigger snake but not keen on the size the boa got. I researched the different types of dwarf Boa's and decided on the Hogg Island Boa. I purchased a hypo Hogg earlier this year and it was the best decision I've made so far. My girl has such a sweet personality and is chill when I handle her. I decided a couple months later to purchase get sister, so now I have 2 wonderful Hogg Island Boa's and couldn't be happier!!!!
    Don't get me wrong though, I love my 2 BP's but they don't like being messed with to much as they stress out. My other snake, which is a Hognose is another one I enjoy as he is an absolute clown and makes me laugh all the time.

I wouldn't look pass the Hogg Island Boa. They for the most part are low key for a boa, don't get big and have a great personality. Although, like everything else, there can always be a few grumpy ones out there as well.
    Do your research, ask the breeder lots of questions. Ask how big the parents are and what their personality is like? Ask to see pictures or arrange to take a visit and see the parents in person. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Appreciate the info! Sounds like I'm in the same boat you were in. Do you have any Hog Island breeder recommendations? Any pictures you can share of yours? I would love to see some.

Thanks
    Smart to take your time and feel comfortable. Not many have that control! Good on you for sure. Can’t wait to see what you end up with !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    no, I didn’t pull the trigger because I’m not yet ready. Still waiting on my AP cage that I ordered 2-3 months ago. Plus I feel more research is needed on my part. This looked to be a small time breeder who happens to live close to me so no shipping needed if I pull the plug and go with him. I’m not 100% on a Hog Island but they caught my eye a few months ago and I’ve been exploring YouTube videos constantly. I was asking one of the other big time breefers at the show about a Boas temperament compared to a BP and he immediately said most Boas are like puppy dogs. He proceeded to pull some out and gently grab their head and none of them objected or pulled back like most BPs do.

So you’re enjoying your dwarf so far??
    ive only had my Caye Caulker for a few days now. She was sent to me Thursday. So she’s in out of sight Out of mind mode ! Lol

peeking in on her and water and all but that’s it.

She was a dream to handle handle when I got her. I’m dying to get her out but I want her settled and a few meals in her. She sort of fell in my lap and I had to take her but I’m glad I did.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (04-15-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast