Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,968

0 members and 2,968 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Credible?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Credible?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    I was in an email exchange with Vin Russo last week, and while he didn't have any more specific details about when the new edition of The Complete Boa Constrictor is coming out, he did mention that his other book, Boas in Captivity, is shorter but still a good crash course on boas. It's also considerably more budget-friendly; the paperback edition is available on Amazon for $11, and the Kindle edition is $3.
    That's an excellent option!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I was in an email exchange with Vin Russo last week, and while he didn't have any more specific details about when the new edition of The Complete Boa Constrictor is coming out, he did mention that his other book, Boas in Captivity, is shorter but still a good crash course on boas. It's also considerably more budget-friendly; the paperback edition is available on Amazon for $11, and the Kindle edition is $3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's an excellent option!
    Aw thanks guys I’ll make sure to check this book out

You helped a lot
    do the jah

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Vin russo talks about his new book coming out in this autumn(fall) in an interview he did with Brian cusko, was really interesting interview, talking about the new taxonomy etc with boas, can't wait for his new book
    Here the link

https://youtu.be/N0mg9Rd1x2I

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2019),RedRabbit (07-11-2019),tickyyy (07-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Vin russo talks about his new book coming out in this autumn(fall) in an interview he did with Brian cusko, was really interesting interview, talking about the new taxonomy etc with boas, can't wait for his new book
    Here the link

https://youtu.be/N0mg9Rd1x2I

I'm excited to read the newly revised edition of The Complete Boa Constrictor, too! Though I admit, the original reason I watched the above interview was because the little hypo blood boa that Vin brings out to show -- around the 12:50 mark -- is actually the exact one I just bought from him, haha! The little guy just arrived home on Tuesday.

@tickyyy: I think, if your main goal right now is to study up on boa care and husbandry for pet-keeping purposes, then the smaller book Boas in Captivity is a perfect fit for you. The big book mainly expands upon the history, taxonomy and genetics of the various boa subspecies/localities, as well as advanced care information that is important for boa breeders. Essentially, Boas in Captivity is good for a handbook/manual, while The Complete Boa Constrictor is more of a comprehensive reference textbook.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2019),richardhind1972 (07-11-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

I'm excited to read the newly revised edition of The Complete Boa Constrictor, too! Though I admit, the original reason I watched the above interview was because the little hypo blood boa that Vin brings out to show -- around the 12:50 mark -- is actually the exact one I just bought from him, haha! The little guy just arrived home on Tuesday.

@tickyyy: I think, if your main goal right now is to study up on boa care and husbandry for pet-keeping purposes, then the smaller book Boas in Captivity is a perfect fit for you. The big book mainly expands upon the history, taxonomy and genetics of the various boa subspecies/localities, as well as advanced care information that is important for boa breeders. Essentially, Boas in Captivity is good for a handbook/manual, while The Complete Boa Constrictor is more of a comprehensive reference textbook.
    That is so cool RedRabbit
    He really does some amazing hypo blood boas, so red, congratulations

8. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (07-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Congratulations RedRabbit...I foretell more amazing photos from you somewhere in the future...

And I think you nailed the essential differences in the books mentioned too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (07-11-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    That's a fine book and has generally good info (been years since I read my copy). There are plenty of good boa people here that can help if you have questions or need clarification on anything for care.
    Jeff wrote the breeding section and along with his old reptile article (he took offline years ago sadly) it's what helped me successfully breed boas since 2003.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2019),Gio (07-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    That's a fine book and has generally good info (been years since I read my copy). There are plenty of good boa people here that can help if you have questions or need clarification on anything for care.
    Jeff wrote the breeding section and along with his old reptile article (he took offline years ago sadly) it's what helped me successfully breed boas since 2003.
    Agree with this.
    I have a copy myself.
    Read everything and you will learn.

Thanks

Thank you guys so much!! You are really helpful and supportive of all the questions I ask (I feel like I ask a lot and I don’t wanna be annoying lol). I’m really glad I stumbled across this forum; I have like tons of more questions to come so I think I’m gonna make a separate thread for them. Also thank you ab the books, I think ima buy boas in captivity
    do the jah

Thanks
    Heh, thanks Richard and Bogertophis! He's a little beauty, it's been SO hard to force myself to leave him alone and let him settle in, haha ...

And tickyyy, the more questions the better, you are absolutely not being annoying at all! It's awesome and very responsible of you to be doing thorough research and preparing like you are.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-11-2019),richardhind1972 (07-12-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast