Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

0 members and 2,845 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

View Poll Results: How do you rate this single gene morph?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know what this animal is and think it is a below average specimen.

1 3.57%
  • I know what this animal is and think it is a average specimen.

9 32.14%
  • I know what this animal is and think it is a above average specimen.

4 14.29%
  • I don't know what it is and I don't like it.

2 7.14%
  • I don't know what it is and I like it.

12 42.86%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Re: Rate A Single Gene Morph Poll #3

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Post a pic of him if you can. I'd love to see him.
    It's not a good comparison because I forgot to add that he's also pastel and yellow belly but I'll share a pic I saved from the breeder anyway

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-07-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    It's not a good comparison because I forgot to add that he's also pastel and yellow belly but I'll share a pic I saved from the breeder anyway

I was wondering what you are talking about with the blushing and this answers my question. The blushing is definitely not coming from the phantom gene. I would be very surprised to find a phantom with extreme bushing. This however is a beautiful animal, and is a great example of the cool things you can make with phantom. Phantom is what you add when you want to kick up golds. It generally combines very well with enchi, and obviously, by the looks of this animal, yellowbelly as well. Nice combo for me to shoot for. Excellent purchase.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

rufretic (07-07-2017)

Thanks

I was wondering what you are talking about with the blushing and this answers my question. The blushing is definitely not coming from the phantom gene. I would be very surprised to find a phantom with extreme bushing. This however is a beautiful animal, and is a great example of the cool things you can make with phantom. Phantom is what you add when you want to kick up golds. It generally combines very well with enchi, and obviously, by the looks of this animal, yellowbelly as well. Nice combo for me to shoot for. Excellent purchase.
    Thank you! I really was just looking for a phantom boy for future breeding plans but this guy caught my attention and I decided to dish out a little extra to get an animal I really liked the looks of. The two things that stood out to me was his blushing which was already mention but also his funky pattern which I do believe is coming from the phantom because I've seen a lot of pastels and yellow belly but none with a wild pattern like this. His clean lines are also a plus but I believe that is more of a quality thing than from a specific morph. I'm a little confused where the blushing comes from because it really isn't something any of the 3 morphs in him are known for so I guess it's just one of those cool crazy cool things you can get when blending multiple morphs. I can't wait to see what he produces for me. He'll be going to a mojave fire and possibly a mojave fire black pastel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    Thank you! I really was just looking for a phantom boy for future breeding plans but this guy caught my attention and I decided to dish out a little extra to get an animal I really liked the looks of. The two things that stood out to me was his blushing which was already mention but also his funky pattern which I do believe is coming from the phantom because I've seen a lot of pastels and yellow belly but none with a wild pattern like this. His clean lines are also a plus but I believe that is more of a quality thing than from a specific morph. I'm a little confused where the blushing comes from because it really isn't something any of the 3 morphs in him are known for so I guess it's just one of those cool crazy cool things you can get when blending multiple morphs. I can't wait to see what he produces for me. He'll be going to a mojave fire and possibly a mojave fire black pastel.
    If you look at the pictures of the possible combos here, you will see how they arrive at that degree of blushing, which I believe is the yellowbelly combined with the pastel giving it an almost super pastel look. The prospective mates should make for some wild looking babies but be aware you are going to have lots of fun figuring out what they are. I have my doubts that I would be able to accurately identify a couple of the combos. Most of my females are single gene or ALS combos that I breed to multi-gene males. This tends to make identifying the babies a little easier. Take for example the little guy to the left. His dad was a phantom/pin, his mom a mojave. I know that he is a phantom/mojave/pin. If there was pastel or yellowbelly involved I doubt that I could make the determination he was carrying either.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 07-07-2017 at 10:59 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

rufretic (07-07-2017)

Thanks

If you look at the pictures of the possible combos here, you will see how they arrive at that degree of blushing, which I believe is the yellowbelly combined with the pastel giving it an almost super pastel look. The prospective mates should make for some wild looking babies but be aware you are going to have lots of fun figuring out what they are. I have my doubts that I would be able to accurately identify a couple of the combos. Most of my females are single gene or ALS combos that I breed to multi-gene males. This tends to make identifying the babies a little easier. Take for example the little guy to the left. His dad was a phantom/pin, his mom a mojave. I know that he is a phantom/mojave/pin. If there was pastel or yellowbelly involved I doubt that I could make the determination he was carrying either.
    Yep, your exactly right, figuring out what's what is going to be tricky. Some of the purple combos look almost identical to me. Having them to compare side by side and with the help of wobp, I'm hoping it will be possible. I guess I won't really know until I try.

I never really understood the single morph female thing, doesn't it basically come down to how many morphs in the mix? So say you have a single morph female x a 5 morph male, isn't it going to produce just as many possible combos as a 3 morph female x a 3 morph male? Seems like it just comes down to limiting how many morphs total that you put in the mix to keep it easier for distinguishing which combos you produce. But maybe I don't fully understand how the genetics are passed on, I let the wizard do all the work for me lol.

for the record, I don't think many can pick out yellow belly in most multi morph combos, I know I sure can't haha.
    Last edited by rufretic; 07-07-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    Yes it is a reduction thing and a money thing. I get more bang for my buck with multi-gene males. Also, as time goes on, by starting at the bottom, you end up with pictures of the combinations of your lines and as you add a gene it is easier, at least for me, to see the effect that gene has. I also try to plan my breedings so I know a gene will be there. If I was to introduce yellowbelly to my phantoms, I would use an ivory so I know the yellowbelly is there.

Thanks

It is a trait I am specifically breeding for. I am trying to make better, as in easier to care for, ball pythons. Feeding issues are the most common complaints associated with ball pythons. Snakes that are this large definitely do not have feeding issues. Since feeding issues are often a byproduct of stress I am killing two birds with one stone. These specimens have super easy going dispositions and are extremely hard to stress out. They have not even used hides since they were very young. They have never been power fed. They just do not turn down meals and are moved up a size in rats as soon as it is safe to do so. They are now all on their permanent adult diets of one medium rat weekly.

I do have other lines that are not as large and do not have the feeding response these girls and their parents have. Eventually I hope to have a "super" version of the large gene. I may already. The father of these girls has produced quite a few offspring and has only thrown one reluctant feeder. All his babies but one are larger than average. Once I think I have the "large" isolated it will be bred into my smaller lines. The brother of these girls who is also large was already breeding at around three months. I have two of his clutches in the incubator now and I hope he proves that the size is genetic. The eggs are very large.
    Where do you sell? Mellow, quick growing, strong eaters are my kind of snake lol

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    0.1 Woma Pinstripe "Gemma"
    0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    0.1 Rio(Super Arroyo) "Wendy"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Ghost "Unser"
    1.0 KillerBee Yellow Belly "Half-Sack"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12