Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    By the way, I mentioned using the skid-proof carpet mat on top of the "giant hide" for my boa: before I made that hide, she had a really big black plastic hide, but it was slippery for her to climb on top of- so basically, that space went to waste- & plus, the hide also could be pushed around (lighter weight- plastic- and also didn't completely fit the space), so it didn't have much stability.

But once I re-did her home, her activity increased dramatically, & I know it's because she had traction & stability- she moved with confidence- it made a huge difference. She could get on & off the top of her new 'hide' without slipping, & like I said, the double doorway was a "hit" too for a big snake like she was. She acted like "Hey, what's this? I couldn't DO this before." and she was all over it. It was so much fun to watch her.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-06-2021 at 09:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Enclosure Size Question

Also, the PVC enclosure came with Lexel to seal the interior edges in order to waterproof it. I was wondering if it will be necessary to use it if I’m not planning on making the enclosure bioactive in the near future? The substrate I’ll be using is Reptichip.

Thanks
    Personally, I'd waterproof it for sure. Sooner or later, your snake will do a big juicy excretion, or dump the water bowl, & I won't envy you in cleaning up the leak from the enclosure.

In fact, if the moisture contacts some electrical things, it may also be a safety issue. Take that little bit of time, always, to be on the safe side, so you're more likely to have many disaster-free years enjoying your pets.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aminevoo (12-07-2021),Homebody (12-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I seal the bottom seam and just a little ways up each corner. You'll want to do that too.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Personally, I'd waterproof it for sure. Sooner or later, your snake will do a big juicy excretion, or dump the water bowl, & I won't envy you in cleaning up the leak from the enclosure.

In fact, if the moisture contacts some electrical things, it may also be a safety issue. Take that little bit of time, always, to be on the safe side, so you're more likely to have many disaster-free years enjoying your pets.
    I hate to bug with so many questions, but the lexel tube says it fully cures in 1-2 weeks. Does this mean I have to wait 1-2 weeks after applying it to start decorating the enclosure and then move my snake into it? I’ve never worked with any kind of sealant so all of this is brand new to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aminevoo View Post
    I hate to bug with so many questions, but the lexel tube says it fully cures in 1-2 weeks. Does this mean I have to wait 1-2 weeks after applying it to start decorating the enclosure and then move my snake into it? I’ve never worked with any kind of sealant so all of this is brand new to me.
    Yes, I'd wait at least 2 weeks to make sure there are NO fumes (odors) off-gassing that could harm your snake. Many adhesives are non-toxic only AFTER they're fully dry- like with using aquarium silicone sealant, it's gives off very irritating fumes until it's fully dry, & if it's put on too thick, it takes much longer to cure. Not sure about Lexel (how long it takes), as I've never used it- just something to keep in mind though. And of course, adhesives are sticky when they aren't full dry too. Sometimes a fan or using a blow dryer will hasten the drying process- but put your snake's health first- don't take a chance by exposing them too soon. Remember that your snake will be locked in, smelling any trace of fumes for "24/7"- it's not like us, where a tiny amount will dissipate in the room, & we can avoid it. So if you can smell it- wait until you can't. (& their nose is better than ours too)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-07-2021 at 01:21 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aminevoo View Post
    I'm planning on making a "second level" in his new enclosure that would give him more floor space and that opportunity to climb and get more exercise. I was thinking of making the second floor above the main ground floor though, and it's a little hard for me to visualize the "false floor"/basement you're talking about. Would you by chance have any example photos of what you're talking about?
    I think my 3x2x2 is set up similarly to what Boger describes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-07-2021)

Thanks
    Yup! Unless the snake is really arboreal in nature, it makes sense to make the best use of the horizontal space for them by giving them a "two-story house".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12