Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

0 members and 2,800 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New ball python owner/Help!

Hello there, I bought a ball python a week or so ago and I can’t seem to get her enclosure correct. I started with a glass enclosure with a mesh top for the lid but it wouldn’t keep humidity in so I purchased a plastic enclosure/tub. I have a heating mat but the humidity is now too high and the air temp stays way too low. The humidity would go up to 70-75 and the night temps would be low 70s. I’ve run out of ideas. I saw a video on someone cutting a hole In their enclosure and putting wiring on that to make sure the snake didn’t escape and then putting a heat lamp on top of that. But what would I do about the heat for night since they need a day/night cycle? Any suggestions to help my ball python I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Welcome. It's an inconvenient time to point this out, but for future reference, it's highly recommended that you set up AND TEST all enclosures/& equipment for at least a week prior to bringing home any occupant for that enclosure, to make sure that it actually meets their needs, & to give you time to obtain any additional supplies that you might need.

Do you have an accurate way to measure temperatures? Do you have a thermostat to control each heating device for the safety (& life!) of your snake, so they aren't harmed? Do you have an accurate gauge to measure humidity?

FYI- the humidity is under YOUR control, either way. If using a glass tank & screen top, you need to cover most of the screen with something that air cannot move thru. Some ppl use foil, some use plexi or other materials- it's your choice. The reason that the professionally-made "enclosures" are so good at retaining humidity is because the ventilation is minimized. Look at them closely & you'll see what I mean. The same goes for "tubs" that people set up: they need some air-holes, but if you make too many, you can always re-cover a few from the outside with tape until you get the humidity right. Understand?

You need to pick the enclosure you're going to use & stick with that, as modifications depend on what you're using. Have you read over the threads here on doing this? It seems you haven't researched much of anything before bringing this snake home. The kinds of heat you need to use depends on what kind of enclosure you're using, so until you do that, it's hard to help you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-24-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I just responded to your PM and will simply add what I said here to keep things together.

So we can get you squared away using either the glass tank or the tub.

GLASS TANK
    1. Create a cardboard cutout for the top and cover it with foil. This will help train heat and humidity by simply laying it on top.
    2. Using a heavy paper(art paper, construction paper) cover the sides and back. This will help retain heat.
    3. Add a lamp or che to boost the temps. (You will need to have a hole in the cardboard cutout.) You will at least need a dimmer to get it dialed in.
    4. Add moss to the hides. This can be made damp during a shed and it boost the humidity where the snake is most of the time.... Their hides. This will not raise the humidity outside the hides but that will not matter. I've used this trick for years with great success. If the rest of the humidity in the tank is between 40-50% I'm happy.

TUB
    1. You can add a bulb or che overhead but you will need to hang it somehow so you don't melt the tub lid. I've used ZooMed lamp stands in the past doing this.
    2. The same as above for adding a bulb or che.

You can get a red bulb or che if you don't want two overhead heat sources.

A che is a ceramic heat emitter. I recommend the wire framed fixture if you go with one. They last must longer than bulbs if used with a proper fixture. They get blazing hot so a dimmer will be a must.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: New ball python owner/Help!

I thought I had everything squared away but unfortunately I was wrong. I have a thermostat hooked up the heating pad that I am currently using. It is set to the proper temperature. I’m just trying to find a way to keep the ambient temperature up to where it’s supposed to be without heating up the cooler side. I am assuming the only way to do this is to use a overhead heat lamp.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    A overhead lamp on the warm side will work. It will probably raise the cool side a little too but it should not be a problem. Just get a dimmer so your can dial it in..
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bp1 View Post
    I thought I had everything squared away but unfortunately I was wrong. I have a thermostat hooked up the heating pad that I am currently using. It is set to the proper temperature. I’m just trying to find a way to keep the ambient temperature up to where it’s supposed to be without heating up the cooler side. I am assuming the only way to do this is to use a overhead heat lamp.

FYI, every set-up is a little different, because how warm or chilly the room is will have an impact on how well the heat stays in whatever enclosure you're using. As far as "keeping heat in", it's easier to insulate* a glass tank, since the sides are straight. (*You can use various things like foam board cut to fit & taped to sides, back & bottom- depending on use of UTH)

Overhead lamps used for heat are probably best replaced with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) since most snakes don't like it very bright, and since they also need a proper photoperiod (ie. they need to experience darkness at night-time.) Or you can use a red or black incandescent bulb for warmth with a lot less light output, & using a lamp dimmer (aka "rheostat"- available & not expensive at any hardware/home improvement store) always.

Regarding use of heat pads (aka "UTH"): be sure to measure what actual surface temperature is, inside the enclosure where the snake can make contact -with substrate pushed away, as snakes often do that (attempting to burrow). In other words, don't just take the t-stat's "word for it"- you should always verify the actual temperatures being achieved.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-24-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-24-2021),GoingPostal (09-24-2021),Hugsplox (09-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

No need to panic. All of the husbandry issues you’ve mentioned can be easily resolved. I’d personally go with the glass tank with the UTH and use a CHE if you want to boost the ambient temps inside the enclosure, you can use a tub with a UTH and overhead CHE, or you can raise the ambient temps in the room with a portable heater. Figure out an option that works for you and you’re good to go.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-25-2021),Hugsplox (09-27-2021)