Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,980

1 members and 2,979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SD Retic

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: SD Retic

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you want a large lap snake look at a Dumerils boa.
    My Borneo STP is a perfect example of a lap snake. Bloods and STPs may be worth checking out too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Don't have a SD or D but my retics are energetic and fun experience to have out. They have a mind of their own and are determined sometimes to do what they want. Love them though. Would not change a thing.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    My Borneo STP is a perfect example of a lap snake. Bloods and STPs may be worth checking out too.
    I was going to suggest this as well. My blood is more sedentary than my BPs!
    They are a great heavy bodied snake that doesn't get *too* big to handle alone
    For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-26-2019)

Thanks

I’m not really a fan of blood pythons and that type of look. I love retic faces, they’re so beautiful. I’ll think about it but I think I’ll just stick to boas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    I’m not really a fan of blood pythons and that type of look. I love retic faces, they’re so beautiful. I’ll think about it but I think I’ll just stick to boas.

There are plenty of Borneo and Sumatran morphs out there now too. Not sure if you meant bloods specifically or short tails in general

Thanks

Sorry I meant short tails in general.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to svtvenom For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    Yeah I think it would be cool to see him actually move around the cage (unlike my boa) but I want something I can hold too. I can hold my boa for hours and he’s very docile but he’s always in his hides. I guess that would asking for a perfect world . Unfortunately, I don’t want a huge snake so I don’t want a Burmese. Thanks everyone, I think I’ll stick to boas unless I just want a display animal.

I concur on Carpet Python. Some get big, but several species stay small.

Irina Jaya's (IJ's) stay small as do Darwin's.

Yafe, is a mix of both. He shouldn't be longer than about 5-6 feet and probably will be noticeably less thick than a Ball Python. Being a male, 5ft is probably more reasonable. I was told by multiple people that a IJ/Darwin mix could live it's whole life happily in a 3X2' tank. However, they need height as they like to climb and love perches.

My Boaphile for him is a 4X2X1.5' with 2 perches (2") running from side to side on the tank. He went on a 4X2' tower so I gave him a little extra room. He does use the room and spend 75% of his time out and about as a display snake. At night he's all over the tank and during the day, he's usually on his warm perch.

Darwin's are know as the most arboreal carpet and IJ's the least. He's pretty arboreal, but will spend time in his hides.

Of note, Darwin's are more expensive. Both are known to be more docile/placid species even as young ones. However, Carpet's are known to be bitey when young. Yafe hasn't nailed me yet, but likes to his, especially when I try to get him off his perch!

I've heard 90% of them grow out of it.

Yafe loves to wrap around my arm and chill, but is more active than a boa by a little bit, I'd say. That doesn't mean he doesn't like to chill, but when he moves, he tends to move faster and a little less relaxed than my two boas.

Yafe's thread is below, if you want to see what he's about. You can skip more towards the back, as the beginning has a lot of drama. He was very sick when I got him.

I have heard that Carpet's are not as hardy as Boas, but get a captive bred individual, and meet husbandry requirements, and you should be fine. I don't think they are any worse than a BP, but Boas are pretty tough, especially BCI.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ression-Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I concur on Carpet Python. Some get big, but several species stay small.

Irina Jaya's (IJ's) stay small as do Darwin's.

Yafe, is a mix of both. He shouldn't be longer than about 5-6 feet and probably will be noticeably less thick than a Ball Python. Being a male, 5ft is probably more reasonable. I was told by multiple people that a IJ/Darwin mix could live it's whole life happily in a 3X2' tank. However, they need height as they like to climb and love perches.

My Boaphile for him is a 4X2X1.5' with 2 perches (2") running from side to side on the tank. He went on a 4X2' tower so I gave him a little extra room. He does use the room and spend 75% of his time out and about as a display snake. At night he's all over the tank and during the day, he's usually on his warm perch.

Darwin's are know as the most arboreal carpet and IJ's the least. He's pretty arboreal, but will spend time in his hides.

Of note, Darwin's are more expensive. Both are known to be more docile/placid species even as young ones. However, Carpet's are known to be bitey when young. Yafe hasn't nailed me yet, but likes to his, especially when I try to get him off his perch!

I've heard 90% of them grow out of it.

Yafe loves to wrap around my arm and chill, but is more active than a boa by a little bit, I'd say. That doesn't mean he doesn't like to chill, but when he moves, he tends to move faster and a little less relaxed than my two boas.

Yafe's thread is below, if you want to see what he's about. You can skip more towards the back, as the beginning has a lot of drama. He was very sick when I got him.

I have heard that Carpet's are not as hardy as Boas, but get a captive bred individual, and meet husbandry requirements, and you should be fine. I don't think they are any worse than a BP, but Boas are pretty tough, especially BCI.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ression-Thread
    Dakski, you may be slightly mistaken about a couple of points.

IJ's are quite similar (habit wise) to Darwins. IJ's are the only carpet species that don't live in Australia (New Guinea). Both however display semi arboreal characteristics so do coastals and jungles. The whole species in general is semi arboreal.

Python Spilotus Imbricatus (Southwestern carpet python) inhabits treeless areas with just thick shrubs about half a meter high for cover. They nest and live in rock crevices. Mostly a terrestrial carpet python in many areas. So they would be considered "less arboreal". That is likely due to habitat not because they won't climb.

Another common mistake people make about carpets is in regard to sexual size dimorphism. Male carpets, in the wild, will be the larger of the two sexes generally, in the species that engage in pre-mating combat. In captivity things likely will even out, but a male coastal or Darwin doesn't guarantee it will be smaller than a female.

If you are into carpets, read THE COMPLETE CARPET PYTHON by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander. It is a fantastic book.

I also find carpets every bit as hardy as boas, with the exception of the diamond which has some specific care requirements that need to be met.

Back to topic, OP, you certainly can find a SD that will behave differently than mine, as every individual is different.

A total lap snake is probably less of a display snake so you have to think about what you want most.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-27-2019),jmcrook (02-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Dakski, you may be slightly mistaken about a couple of points.

IJ's are quite similar (habit wise) to Darwins. IJ's are the only carpet species that don't live in Australia (New Guinea). Both however display semi arboreal characteristics so do coastals and jungles. The whole species in general is semi arboreal.

Python Spilotus Imbricatus (Southwestern carpet python) inhabits treeless areas with just thick shrubs about half a meter high for cover. They nest and live in rock crevices. Mostly a terrestrial carpet python in many areas. So they would be considered "less arboreal". That is likely due to habitat not because they won't climb.

Another common mistake people make about carpets is in regard to sexual size dimorphism. Male carpets, in the wild, will be the larger of the two sexes generally, in the species that engage in pre-mating combat. In captivity things likely will even out, but a male coastal or Darwin doesn't guarantee it will be smaller than a female.

If you are into carpets, read THE COMPLETE CARPET PYTHON by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander. It is a fantastic book.

I also find carpets every bit as hardy as boas, with the exception of the diamond which has some specific care requirements that need to be met.

Back to topic, OP, you certainly can find a SD that will behave differently than mine, as every individual is different.

A total lap snake is probably less of a display snake so you have to think about what you want most.
    Gio,

I read that book and have it, but I thought I remembered, apparently wrong, that IJ's were more ground dwelling and Darwin's more arboreal. My apologies if I mixed that up. Yafe spends a lot of time, as stated earlier, in his perches. So I am not sure what that means regarding the differences between the two.

Thank you for the correction.

I also agree that display and lap snake don't necessarily go together, but find, with my limited experience, that Yafe, my carpet, is happy to be some of both.

Regarding health, I've heard numerous stories from different breeders about Boas, especially BCI, being quite hardy and have been told by others, including the breeder I got Yafe from, that Carpets can be less so. I am biased as Yafe was very sick when I got him after getting lost by fedex for 14 hours.

The breeder swore he was fine when he left and I am inclined to believe them for a variety of reasons.

That breeder said that with the morphs and hybrids (IJ/Darwin for example) they have found that some tend to be weaker immune wise.

Again, not trying to be argumentative, but rather, explaining my perspective.

Regarding size difference between male and female, I appreciate the clarification.

Take care and be well.

David

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Gio,

I read that book and have it, but I thought I remembered, apparently wrong, that IJ's were more ground dwelling and Darwin's more arboreal. My apologies if I mixed that up. Yafe spends a lot of time, as stated earlier, in his perches. So I am not sure what that means regarding the differences between the two.

Thank you for the correction.

I also agree that display and lap snake don't necessarily go together, but find, with my limited experience, that Yafe, my carpet, is happy to be some of both.

Regarding health, I've heard numerous stories from different breeders about Boas, especially BCI, being quite hardy and have been told by others, including the breeder I got Yafe from, that Carpets can be less so. I am biased as Yafe was very sick when I got him after getting lost by fedex for 14 hours.

The breeder swore he was fine when he left and I am inclined to believe them for a variety of reasons.

That breeder said that with the morphs and hybrids (IJ/Darwin for example) they have found that some tend to be weaker immune wise.

Again, not trying to be argumentative, but rather, explaining my perspective.

Regarding size difference between male and female, I appreciate the clarification.

Take care and be well.

David
    Excellent response! The reason I said you "may be mistaken" was because I figured you mixed things up and just posted wrong.

No worries, I've made mistakes here and the fact you have the book, makes me fairly sure you are pretty well versed on the species.

Boas and carpets are 50-50 for me. I love both species and find the care requirements daily similar.

Unfortunately you had a rough go to start off with your carpet, however they tend to be a pretty easy keep.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-28-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast