Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

1 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Rainbow is my new SunTiger female reticulated python progression.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Oh my..

Is that a optical illusion or is that actually a indentation above the spine and lumps and bumps along her side from FAT ?

If so...I would dial it way back. I know that can be tricky with Retics, because of the pushing issue, but boy, that is NOT healthy and will not make for a long life.

And that meal was not slightly to large, that was quite a bit to big While true, in the wild they can take down some pretty large stuff if they get their teeth on it, but in the wild they have to travel long distances in between meals and there may also be months in between meals. In captivity they spend 98% of the time laying around in a cage and food comes every week or 2.

Fat animals of any kind and species will have health problems.

But then, it may just be a optical illusion
    Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I was honestly wondering the same thing. But based on photos of Rainbow from a little less than a year ago compared to the most recent, along with post history, I don't think there's any question that this is a snake that is being power fed (both in terms of prey size and frequency) and is well on her way to being obese, if she's not obese already.

I really don't understand the allure of forcing a snake to grow more quickly, especially when you're dealing with something like a retic.
    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Since retics seem to be rather high strung snakes that like to move around, perhaps it IS one way to keep them more quiet/docile and keep them from pushing? To let them eat as much as they want until they become rather overweight and somewhat "lazy" ?

I'm the first one to admit, I have NO personal experience with Retics, never owned one. So I do not pretend to be some expert and don't want to come across as one.

I have always admired them, though, and precariously lived through others that did/do own them. Followed many of them throughout many years.
    But no, no personal experience at all.

Just going by the pictures, of the snake and the meal that was spoken about.

There is no doubt in my mind Skyrivers loves his snake, and perhaps it may help him if some other pairs of eyes see something that he may not, being so close to her emotionally. I don't mean to criticize, but boy, she does look rather chunky

With all the talk about her being large and lumpy I visited my friend that breeds them with her and we had a talk. He held her a few moments and then said, "She is not fat. She is gravid." He said that she is making eggs and with her being a virgin that the eggs should be all slugs or reabsorbed. He said she looks healthy but not fat. After a quick ultra sound he estimated around 60 or so developing eggs inside her. All around 4cm in diameter. He could not get over how gentle she was and amazing to handle and how tolerant of being examined she was. She is a good girl. It was suggested to build her an egg laying box. I will this weekend coming up. I don't expect pathogenesis. I expect slugs. I asked him about her appetite. She went off food for 4 weeks during winter and then started eating after attacking Monty. After eating the big bird I gave her 3-4 weeks before offering again. He said she will most likely not eat again till she drops the eggs. Who knows. She is amazing. I do have a plan if anything viable comes out but no expectations there.

I am sure the trolls will be coming my way but I don't care. I am raising her right.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 02-19-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    I've always been under the impression that a female would ovulate and start forming eggs but if unfertilized they would simply reobsorb. Is it a normal or common to go full term and just lay slugs? I have no desire to ever breed my retics, I hope I don't have to go through all the same process's including having to take eggs from a new mother.
    1.0 platinum retic "woody"
    0.1 purple albino retic "Jessie"
    0.1 albino corn "evie"

Thanks

Thats an interesting enclosure, is it a spray foam type of background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeboyaz View Post
    I've always been under the impression that a female would ovulate and start forming eggs but if unfertilized they would simply reobsorb. Is it a normal or common to go full term and just lay slugs? I have no desire to ever breed my retics, I hope I don't have to go through all the same process's including having to take eggs from a new mother.
    Normal? I have no clue. My friend did not act surprised at all to see them developing. He did say she might absorb them. I think each animal is different and the possibilities are out there for almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    Thats an interesting enclosure, is it a spray foam type of background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Yes it is a spray foam type. I put a lot of work building it and getting it ready for her. Sealing everything up is critical to success with the foam.

Thanks

Saw Rainbow moving around her enclosure this morning. Then she went into her pool and took a drink right before taking a huge dump in the water. Guess work for me when I get off work today. Love that she makes cage cleaning easy. Her enclosure has 3 temperature zones. Hot is 91. Medium is 80 and cool spot is 70ish. She has been hanging out on the cooler spot a lot here as of late.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 02-21-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks

Quick photo after cleaning her pool out. She is not behaving hungry yet. The big bird was the 4th. 2 weeks and 3 d\ys and still not hungry.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Saturday Rainbow decided it was time to eat! She went nuts tearing her enclosure apart and dumped her pool over. I fed her 2 baby ducks. Was almost a month after eating the last bird that was to big. They were not over size at all. She pounded them and then was happy again. Sunday nigh I took her out and cleaned up everything. No way I was going to bother her while she was hungry and boy was she hungry. I am not sure what to think. The US showed follicles/eggs developing but she is chowing down when offered. She is happy again, for now. Sunday she did not want to be bothered but I had to dry things up some and do a full clean up. She was pushing my hand away when I reached in. She was digesting so I understand why she wanted to be left alone. All cleaned up and dry now. She looks happy again. Love that girl.

Thanks

Rainbow is doing well in my care. She is getting a major overhaul on the bottom portion of her enclosure. 2/3 of it will be swimming area. That is 6ft X 4ft x 5in of water she can swim and move around in. The water will be heater to around 85 F. The heating of the water will be done by circulating the water in tubes through a chamber with a heating pad that is regulated. I will be working on this all weekend. Cant wait to see the final product. Will post photos once done as well is materials list.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Rainbow is doing well in my care. She is getting a major overhaul on the bottom portion of her enclosure. 2/3 of it will be swimming area. That is 6ft X 4ft x 5in of water she can swim and move around in. The water will be heater to around 85 F. The heating of the water will be done by circulating the water in tubes through a chamber with a heating pad that is regulated. I will be working on this all weekend. Cant wait to see the final product. Will post photos once done as well is materials list.
    Just a slightly different idea I had while reading your post that you may want to consider:

You could connect the tubes to an in-line aquarium heater with adjustable thermostat like is done sometimes with ponds or very large aquariums. It may work out more electrically efficient or even less bulky to set up that way.

I feel like it would take more electricity to run the heat pad enough that the water heats in tubes (especially if they are plastic as it does insulate a bit) compared to the more direct heat the in-line heater would provide. From how I picture it, it would probably need less space outside the enclosure to set up that way as well, though that may not be true.

Looking forward to seeing the result regardless, large water areas aren't commonly posted for reptiles, much less retics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Excited to see the end result and rainbow enjoying her pond. It’s funny how different individual animals can be, neither of mine have ever seemed to care for being in water.

BTW, glad to see you back here. I enjoy your enthusiasm for retics, your posts usually make me want to go enjoy mine
    Last edited by Snakeboyaz; 04-20-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    1.0 platinum retic "woody"
    0.1 purple albino retic "Jessie"
    0.1 albino corn "evie"

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast