Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,748

2 members and 2,746 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
    Thanks

Some questions about my pythons tank

So I was given a 60 gallon terrarium with all the bells and whistles (UTH, Heat Lamp, decor, bedding, etc).

I bought a 2 month old ball python from a local breeder and I am going to be picking them up in a week. After doing some reading I found out baby snakes like small enclosures and large enclosures stress them out. I also read that if you have a big tank you can clutter the heck out of it with plants, rocks and branches/logs, giving the snake a ton of hiding spots and leaving no wide open space. So I did just that and added a ton to my tank. I included a picture of my tank and was hoping you guys could tell me if this is cluttered enough?

Owner of a 2 month old orange dream ball python

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Some questions about my pythons tank

I'm fairly new to the hobby, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I put my hatchling who was probably, 1-2 months at the time, in a 40 gallon breeder. He's done fantastic in there. I took the same approach and cluttered it up, gave him plenty of things to climb on and around, a lot of fake plants, three size appropriate hides, and I've had no issues. Obviously every snake is different, but the clutter method has worked for me.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That tank has a ton of stuff for the noodle to hid in, he'll be fine. Yes, breeders will disagree with me. I've only been keeping snakes since the 70's. An in the wild the noodle would have more room.

If it is a problem just make a divider for the tank.

Enjoy your new noodle.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    He should be fine as long as you can keep temps and humidity in the proper ranges.

That said, I tend to put new arrivals in a fairly small minimalist setup for the 90 day quarantine period in case they arrive with mites. If you put a snake with mites in that nice enclosure, you'll have to throw away the substrate, bake the natural wood décor to kill mite eggs, wash anything plastic in hot water, bleach the tank, etc.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-16-2020 at 12:37 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (10-16-2020),Craiga 01453 (10-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Some questions about my pythons tank

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    That tank has a ton of stuff for the noodle to hid in, he'll be fine. Yes, breeders will disagree with me. I've only been keeping snakes since the 70's. An in the wild the noodle would have more room.

If it is a problem just make a divider for the tank.

Enjoy your new noodle.

Good luck!
    This ^^

My best feeding Royal is in a 6’ x 3 ‘ x 3’ wooden viv that I had for a 7’ HD Burmese python .

I’ve simply put loads of branches in to encourage climbing plus a few hides and quiet , dark spaces ( plus fake foliage)

As long as they feel safe and secure they will be healthy and hungry ( generally speaking )

This guy eats every time .. rats , mice or chicks and even eats any leftovers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 10-16-2020 at 01:37 PM.