Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 708

2 members and 706 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

First signs of shed?

If I'm not mistaken, I think Lilo's belly looks a little pink. This will be her first time shedding with me, fingers crossed. She's been super shy the last few days but I haven't seen blue eyes yet...

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: First signs of shed?

That's how mine usually starts. You'll see her skin get a dull look and this will most likely bring on the "blue" phase. The duration is completely dependent on your snake. Then she'll look completely normal again which is also dependent on your snake. Bump your humidity up to at least 70% for the duration of the shedding cycle. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SaltLife422 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (04-13-2017)

Thanks

Thanks, I'm so excited.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Once the blue phase passes expect to find shed anywhere from 3-5 days after. I've also completely missed the blue phase in my snakes before and even missed the shed cycle completely but that's only been with the corns. The pink belly is a good sign but I always look at their colors and if it looks faded or dark for example on my pastel then I know shed is imminent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (04-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Lilo's belly looks a little pink. This will be her first time shedding with me, fingers crossed. She's been super shy the last few days but I haven't seen blue eyes yet...

If we are talking about a Ball python / Royal Python one of the first signs for me is they simply stop coming out at night , so no exploring their surroundings or climbing in the branches in the evening ... This may sound weird or foreign to any who keep them in a RUB with no branches and just a hide or two .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'd agree with all the above. No night time exploring, usually staying in the hot side hide. Starts with a slightly pink belly, then onto dull coloring, followed by "blue eyes" then oddly enough they look kind of back to their self, after this point you should expect a shed. As long as humidity is 60-80% I've always seen complete sheds with my BP. Best of luck!
    0.1 Enchi Super Pastel

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bigSAK For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (04-13-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Yup, the pinkish belly is usually a good indicator that the snake is in shed. Bump your humidity and as long as your husbandry has been good to this point you should be seeing a nice, one-piece shed anywhere from 3-8 or 9 days from now. My BP always goes through the entire shed process and sheds on the 4th day, but he's on the quick side of the spectrum. My other snakes are always at least 6 days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    If we are talking about a Ball python / Royal Python one of the first signs for me is they simply stop coming out at night , so no exploring their surroundings or climbing in the branches in the evening ... This may sound weird or foreign to any who keep them in a RUB with no branches and just a hide or two .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    She is a BP and I did notice that she's not been interested in exploring for going on 3 days which isn't like her. She doesn't seem especially dull yet but I'm just gonna give her time and keep the humidity a little higher while I wait. She's probably tired of my hovering at this point lol

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

She is a BP and I did notice that she's not been interested in exploring for going on 3 days which isn't like her. She doesn't seem especially dull yet but I'm just gonna give her time and keep the humidity a little higher while I wait. She's probably tired of my hovering at this point lol

Just remember, when they start going blue and are totally blue, they can't see anything so they will be more nervous than usual. Bumping up the humidity and checking as needed is the best way to go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

Dawn1131 (04-15-2017)

Thanks

Thanks. Yeah I definitely don't want to spook her once she's blue, she's been so sweet and I like this whole no-tagging streak were on lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast