Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,986

0 members and 2,986 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about the odds on our first clutch!

This is our first clutch we have hatched. We had 2 first time parents lay 6 perfect eggs. The mother was pied / 66% Het Axanthic father was pied / Het Axanthic. We ended up with 3 regular pieds and 3 Axanthic pieds. Did we just hit crazy odds or does or does that seem normal? Would that possibly suggest that the mother is more than 66% Axanthic? Thanks

Thanks

Re: Question about the odds on our first clutch!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMorphs View Post
    This is our first clutch we have hatched. We had 2 first time parents lay 6 perfect eggs. The mother was pied / 66% Het Axanthic father was pied / Het Axanthic. We ended up with 3 regular pieds and 3 Axanthic pieds. Did we just hit crazy odds or does or does that seem normal? Would that possibly suggest that the mother is more than 66% Axanthic? Thanks
    Yeah that’s crazy odds! Not on the pied side cuz pied x pied will always get nothing but pieds. That would also mean the female is 100% Het axanthic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (08-01-2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I'm also interested in opinions on what one of the 3 Axanthics to keep. They are mostly mid to low white but one has more dark black then the others. Im assuming the grey/silver is what has a tendency to brown not the black? I'll try to get some photos uploaded as soon as I figure it out . We were excited to say the least and have 7 more eggs in the incubator that have a chance at more Axanthics. Is there anyway that she's less the 100% Het or would the odds have been to crazy for thst?

Thanks

Is there anyway that she's less the 100% Het or would the odds have been to crazy for thst?
    No since she produced visual axanthics then she is 100% nothing less. What line of axanthic are you working with just out of curiosity?

Thanks

They are Vpi. So just so I understand correctly your saying a 66% Het Axanthic will not ever have Axanthic baby's?

Thanks

They are Vpi. So just so I understand correctly your saying a 66% Het Axanthic will not ever have Axanthic baby's?
    No, since she was a 66% Het and produced visual axanthics that now makes her 100% Het for axanthic

Thanks

So if you breed her to another 100% Het axanthic or a visual axanthic she will produce axanthics

Thanks

Ok. Sorry if I wasn't clear the male is 100% Het Axanthic. We just couldn't believe that 1/2 where Axanthic especially with mom being on 66%. Thanks for clarification.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Let me help explain what 66% het means and it will make more sense.

Let's say you breed an Axanthic to a Normal. All babies will be Normal 100% het Axanthic.

Let's say you breed two of those together so Normal het Axanthic to Normal het Axanthic:
    -25% Axanthic
    -50% Normal het Axanthic
    -25% Normal
    but there is NO way to tell visually which are Normal and which are het, so you would call all of these (75% of the clutch) "66% het" because 1/3 of them will turn out to be plain old Normals without a het.

Once you breed the 66% het to an Axanthic, and it produces any Axanthic hatchings at all, it is "proven" to be 100% het Axanthic. However if you breed it and have a large enough pool of babies that none are ever Axanthic, then you would discover it's just a plain old Normal.

Hope that helps! Congrats on proving yours out!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-01-2021)

Thanks

Thats awesome. That is new to me! I'm obviously glad she proved out. I thought she would for sure have the Axanthic gene but just less chance of getting an Axanthic. I might have changed my plans knowing that when we purchased her. I guess I didn't do as much research as I thought. So are the other 3 100% Het Axanthic? Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast