Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

1 members and 3,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Hoping to make super pins

Well I know this is something that will need to be documented, if I do prove out a super pin in a few years. So heres the start of it, Lemonblast het Hypo x Pin. I'm actually more excited because I consider this a dinker project, many of her babies were quite a bit lighter than others in the same clutch, she is kinda light colored herself.... at least enough to make you wonder. So I paired up her son to see if anything comes from it and at the same time I will be making some 33% possible super pins. I attempted this last year, lots of breeding, no eggs. So this is attempt number 2. They have been breeding for a few months actually and this is the first time it dawned on me to take a picture, so there it is.

Pin on Pin action does look pretty cool together, doesn't it?
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 03-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

kristiekristiel (11-28-2015)

Thanks
    good luck

but i think what you are trying to do may be impossible. Brian from BHB tried it, failed, and now says there is no super pin.

another thing you need to track: your results could lean towards 66% pinstripes in the clutches, or towards 75% pinstripes in the clutches.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Hoping to make super pins

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    good luck

but i think what you are trying to do may be impossible
    Bullcrap. Every gene has a homozygous form. The only question is: is it feasible to successfully prove it out? Thats the difficult part.

Also, that is a really nice pairing to look at. That lemonblast het hypo is awesome! Good luck

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CryHavoc17 View Post
    Bullcrap. Every gene has a homozygous form. The only question is: is it feasible to successfully prove it out? Thats the difficult part.

Also, that is a really nice pairing to look at. That lemonblast het hypo is awesome! Good luck
    hypothetically, what if the homozygous form has a side effect, lets say, it makes cell division impossible? then the only way to prove it (apart from maybe things you can do in a biotech laboratory) would be to show statistically that these pairings produce 66.6% pinstripes, instead of the expected 75%. since its only an 8.4% difference between the two values, you would need an awful lot of clutches and eggs to prove that one out.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Or, ya know, hypothetically, the simplest explanation is the correct one. Pinstripe is a dominant mutation, so the homozygous form has the same phenotype as the heterozygous form.

Nobody bothers with the pairing because youd either have to keep every pin and prove it out, even your low value single gene males. Or you'd sell all the animals as just pinstripe and potentially sell a homozygous pin and someone else would reap the benifit of your project with you getting no benefit.

In the cost/benefit analysis of trying a pairing like this there is really no benefit aside from satisfying your own curiosity. Thats why nobody ever tries stuff like this. So good on ya @ the OP!

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Pin on Pin action
    Bow Chicka Bow Wow
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (03-22-2014)

Thanks

I'd think someone would notice when one of their pin's produces all pins though. I know I'd get suspicious after two clutches. Either way good luck!
    Alluring Constrictors

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

Ball Clan (03-23-2014),KING JAMES (03-22-2014),Phantomtip (03-23-2014)

Thanks

good luck

but i think what you are trying to do may be impossible. Brian from BHB tried it, failed, and now says there is no super pin.
    I've heard the opposite Straight from his own mouth

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Slim (03-22-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I've heard the opposite Straight from his own mouth
    thats interesting. in a different thread, someone posted a screenshot of a discussion with Brian in social media, and he said: "there is no super pin". it was not too long ago. i dont manage to find the thread now, but i am sure these were the exact words.

if he now says that there is one, it may imply he now has one, or that he knows about someone else recently being successful. when did he say it?

even if it looks like a regular pinstripe, it would make pinstripe to pinstripe breedings much more attractive, and it would be very useful for breeding.

Thanks

thats interesting. in a different thread, someone posted a screenshot of a discussion with Brian in social media, and he said: "there is no super pin". it was not too long ago. i dont manage to find the thread now, but i am sure these were the exact words.

if he now says that there is one, it may imply he now has one, or that he knows about someone else recently being successful. when did he say it?

even if it looks like a regular pinstripe, it would make pinstripe to pinstripe breedings much more attractive, and it would be very useful for breeding.
    Here's what happened, I asked him about the homozygous pin, he stated that he had a male pin, that came from a pin to pin pairing, in the time he bred him, 27 eggs came from that male pin, all pinstripes. I took it upon myself to calculate the odds of a heterozygous pin doing that and it was over 100 million to one. Where that male is and what happened to it I don't know. He then personally showed me a couple of pinstripe girls that were possible super pins, his words exactly. This was a couple of years ago.

regardless of what anyone says, I am going to try and prove it myself, besides what I have heard personally from Brian I have not heard of anyone else attempting to prove out a homozygous pin, I hear plenty of claims of "everyone trying it" but no real records. I would still however be interested in Brians claim to there being no super pin. I mean I know he never wants to directly say it because of the uneducated backlash from making claims like that, but it would seems silly to outright deny it, especially when hes the ones with the breeding records to prove it with 100 million to one odds. Unless that same pin all of a sudden produced a non-pin offspring, which I never heard about.

Something to keep in mind tho, does he mean there is no super pin, as in an alternative phenotype in the homozygous form? Super is a very ambiguous term.

Either way I will be very open about this. While I don't have much faith in the super spider personally due to scattered claims, I see no reason to not have faith in the super pin.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 03-23-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast