Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,812

0 members and 2,812 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    So, since getting advice from you guys, I have been feeding him every week. Rat pinkie every Wednesday. But he seems to be climbing more! Just in case, I did put clips on either side of the tank, in fear he'd manage to push it up far enough to get out. While Jasper seems to prefer mice, he is taking the rat pinkies for now. I still have yet to *see* him climb, but it still scares me that one too many falls and he's gunna kill himself...

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You want to make sure that cage tops cannot be pushed up at all...snakes have been known to get injured or worse by squeezing out thru gaps thought to be
    safely too small for escape. Personally I don't trust cage clips, I use various other ways to keep tops on cages. Silly guy, wonder why he keeps climbing so much?

Thanks

Re: Sand boa climbed!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You want to make sure that cage tops cannot be pushed up at all...snakes have been known to get injured or worse by squeezing out thru gaps thought to be
    safely too small for escape. Personally I don't trust cage clips, I use various other ways to keep tops on cages. Silly guy, wonder why he keeps climbing so much?
    Well and that's why I put the clips. From him actively eating more frequently he has put on weight. Now if he gets up there is does lift the top a bit, not enough to get out, but more as a safety precaution. I don't want him to get big enough to get out with nothing holding it. I have four clips on my ball python tank and have had no problems.
    I really don't know! In a previous post someone said he's probably climbing because he's hungry. Well, he's eating more now so that shouldn't be it. Then someone else said because he could be bored and can. But I don't know how to get him to stop! I'm worried about him....

Thanks
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    THIS BUTTHEAD! He isn't even using anything as leverage! I caught him in the act of getting up! Like.... I can't even take something out to stop him! JASPER WHY!?!? He's in a 20L aquarium and I have heavy books on the smaller sides, then some clips on the longer sides. He can't get out, but I can't stop him!!
    Last edited by mischiefneko; 09-27-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks
    Anyone who may still be watching this, here's an update:
    Jasper has definitely been shedding more frequently. He eats every 7-10 days. (sometimes he's in shed so I wait until he's done or whenever my local shop gets a shipment) He also just gobbled up a small hopper mouse. He has grown a little bit and he seems more active.
    I feel terrible that I've been neglecting him for so long....

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    As far as the climbing, you aren't heating the entire cage floor are you? (like he's climbing to get away from excess warmth?) Otherwise, snakes do get bored &
    curious, & they stay healthier with exercise just like we do...maybe the thing to keep him from falling is to put in a maze of branches (his own 'jungle-gym') to
    climb on...that way he won't be falling so far. I'd personally be glad that he shows so much personality, not hiding all the time, & obviously has a great appetite.
    A similar snake that you wouldn't expect to climb is a rosy boa...& their body is very round, not really built to "hang on" but yet my rosy climbs too, sometimes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks

Re: Sand boa climbed!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As far as the climbing, you aren't heating the entire cage floor are you? (like he's climbing to get away from excess warmth?) Otherwise, snakes do get bored &
    curious, & they stay healthier with exercise just like we do...maybe the thing to keep him from falling is to put in a maze of branches (his own 'jungle-gym') to
    climb on...that way he won't be falling so far. I'd personally be glad that he shows so much personality, not hiding all the time, & obviously has a great appetite.
    A similar snake that you wouldn't expect to climb is a rosy boa...& their body is very round, not really built to "hang on" but yet my rosy climbs too, sometimes.
    No, only about a third of the bottom is warmed by the heat pad. Again, I haven't changed his setup in the almost three years I had him.
    I am glad that it means he's active and healthy, it just has me puzzled why it's all of the sudden he's super into climbing. Other people have posted pics of their Sand Boas climbing, so I understand that sometimes they're curious. But WHY after three years is he now climbing?
    I would account it to my giving him bigger meals, but that wasn't until after I'd posted on here about Jasper's adventures. That's when I learned that I was given bad care instructions. So the theory was that he was trying to get more food.

Thanks

Talking

Three months later update:
    Jasper sheds about once a month and is now taking *two hopper mice* per meal. I had to thaw two hoppers about a month ago because they'd frozen together. So out of curiosity, I waited for him to finish the first then dropped (no wiggles, just dropped) the second in the sandwich container, and he took it right away! I tried to just feed one the following week and he slithered around the little container looking for the second one! (Usually when he's done he'll slither out of the container into his sand). I don't want to feed bigger as the hoppers still leave a pretty good sized lump in his belly, so I wiggle one until he takes it, then just drop the other. Last week he only took the one, and he was done.
    He seems more active at night now, slithering over his skull and sometimes through his water. I haven't seen him climb in a little while, maybe he's gotten too big? Jasper used to shed only every three months or so when I first got him. But he's definitely more active and growing since upping his meals.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345