Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,142

0 members and 3,142 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Big boy!

Thanks

Big boy!

Our male Mojave in just a year and two months is 3'6" and 1030g

No power feeding, he doesn't like to miss a meal either, only times he misses a meal is when he is in shed and doesn't wanna eat.

I am beyond shocked, vet says he's healthy, no extra fat on 'em that would cause concern (I feared something was wrong). I'm laughing cause he was a tiny lil thing as a baby, he's had quite the growth.

I'm considering when he's ready to see if he may want to go for breeding, if he doesn't that's fine. but some blue eyes with a lesser with his genes would be pretty impressive.

It's funny more cause after he's eaten and digested he goes back to looking slim like a male does, and he stays nice and curled so when he stretches out he's like a farm boy of snakes haha.

His attitude has changed too, he's less nervous about things and if he doesn't like something new (like the new log we got over his cooler hide for shedding) he lets us know by hissing at it, and his hiss has improved, no longer lil squeaks or sounding like someone is blowing raspberries, he has a nice long hiss whenever something bothers him which isn't too often, he just likes it when things stay consistent, any change and he gets grumpy.

I'm proud of him, and excited to see how big he gets, I love him so much and his colors are stunning as well now, nice gold to brown with a nice pearl belly. He's like a treasure chest of colors.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SludgePuppy For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-25-2018),DLena (02-25-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Big boy!

Quote Originally Posted by SludgePuppy View Post
    Our male Mojave in just a year and two months is 3'6" and 1030g

No power feeding, he doesn't like to miss a meal either, only times he misses a meal is when he is in shed and doesn't wanna eat.

I am beyond shocked, vet says he's healthy, no extra fat on 'em that would cause concern (I feared something was wrong). I'm laughing cause he was a tiny lil thing as a baby, he's had quite the growth.

I'm considering when he's ready to see if he may want to go for breeding, if he doesn't that's fine. but some blue eyes with a lesser with his genes would be pretty impressive.

It's funny more cause after he's eaten and digested he goes back to looking slim like a male does, and he stays nice and curled so when he stretches out he's like a farm boy of snakes haha.

His attitude has changed too, he's less nervous about things and if he doesn't like something new (like the new log we got over his cooler hide for shedding) he lets us know by hissing at it, and his hiss has improved, no longer lil squeaks or sounding like someone is blowing raspberries, he has a nice long hiss whenever something bothers him which isn't too often, he just likes it when things stay consistent, any change and he gets grumpy.

I'm proud of him, and excited to see how big he gets, I love him so much and his colors are stunning as well now, nice gold to brown with a nice pearl belly. He's like a treasure chest of colors.
    I like good healthy Balls. Sounds like he would be great paired with a large female. I have a female like this who always eats well and has grown great over the last year & a half.. 1580 few weeks ago. She comes out for 4-6 hours a night using her climbs and I like that for muscle tone & exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

SludgePuppy (02-27-2018)

Thanks

Yeah we have branches and climbs for him in his enclosure, plenty of stuff to make it feel secure yet allow room for stretching out and climbing with soft bedding under it that he can push around and make little beds to sleep on.

Even when he is on the couch we have things there so he can climb around and explore if he's not interested in napping on one of our laps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SludgePuppy For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-26-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

He sounds totally cool. His hiss sounds amazing. Cute noodle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

SludgePuppy (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I don’t believe it !!! Not without pics!!

ok that was just a cheap ploy for pics!!!

haha he sounds amazing ! I can only hope my new guy can be close
    to your boy he sounds real cool!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

SludgePuppy (02-27-2018)

Thanks

Haha, I'll try to get some pics for you guys, he's camera shy so it's a struggle getting good snaps of him but I'll try later today!

Thanks

O wow he is a big guy! It’s funny that he hisses lol. None of mine have ever hissed XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

SludgePuppy (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Here's some pictures of him, again he doesn't like to sit still for the camera, but just to give an idea of his size, tried to get him to sit still near the tape measure but he wasn't having it lol. But yeah, he's only a year and two months old.

The thing that is a problem is his length, we keep him on a six month vet visit schedule because I am so scared of something being wrong with him as to why he's so big length wise (it's what makes up most of his weight) I thought at first he was obese, the vet showed me some obese balls they had taken in, in the past and he's actually lean, the issue is just the surprising growth of length. He was long as a hatchling but very lean, he grew more and stopped and is finally growing out a bit.
    He's just super long lmao, like sometimes I look at him and I am like "kid, you sure your mom wasn't a Burmese??" lmao that would be a shock, but we'd still love him.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SludgePuppy For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-27-2018),Virago (02-27-2018)

Thanks

He's vocal, I've been around a lotta snakes growing up, even bigger boys like Burmese! A pal of mine who got me interested with a passion for ball pythons had a snake (now 11 years old) and he was the same, his other two were not vocal (one more male and a female).

He's been vocal ever since he was young (but at that age his lil hisses sounded like someone trying to learn how to whistle lol), never strikes or tries to bite or gets tense but he does show when he doesn't like something, such as new things in his enclosure, by hissing. If you wake him up, like if I am doing cleaning and he doesn't wake up while I am moving stuff he will hiss if I wake him up. Again he never bites or tries to or shows any overly aggressive behavior, just a vocalizes. the funniest time was when we got him a new bigger log for his sheds, he stared at it and hissed and stared at me and then back at it and hissed again, I was like, "Buddy, it's okay. It's just like your old one but bigger cause you got bigger." and it took him an hour or so to get used to it.

It's funny cause sometimes he doesn't want to eat and it's a sign he is gunna shed soon, so he backs away from the food, yet he never hisses, he just coils back and slithers away. So it messes with my head as to why he gets vocal but I guess it's just when something has upset him or spooked him.

It's not often, but really cool to hear as much as I feel bad that something made him upset.

But the vet said it's also a good thing because if anything was super wrong at least he will give a vocal sign of it. Just to be safe though I always minimize stress whenever I can. Sure we have handling times, but other than that he is left be and I just clean up and feed him and make sure his habitat is on point and has stuff to keep him occupied and comfy. Speaking of which I am wanting to set up a new enclosure for him, but that will be on another post with questions.
    Last edited by SludgePuppy; 02-27-2018 at 09:54 AM.