Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,457

1 members and 1,456 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: I need help, according to friends and family..

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    maaaaaan, you put my Discoid colonies to shame. i just have them in 2 large Kritter Keepers with paper towel substrate, a bunch of paper tubes and lil PVC tubes (and food+water obvs). i try to clean and refresh once a week.

my colony is full of adults and a few large babies; i really need to cull some at start over. i pulled an aggressive male out a week ago to cull, but of course haven't done it; i'm such a wuss, my biologist at work is gona have to do it.

i really need to get serious about their diet tho if i want to do more with them. i found the tiniest lil baby yesterday while cleaning their enclosures; i want him to grow and eat healthy!

EDIT: where did you get those egg crates?
    When I looked into buying them, I started researching how to "house" them, knowing that Smeagol could only eat so many. They all talked about those egg crates. And keeping them clean and well fed. The place I bought the roaches from also sold egg crates, food, water crystals, etc. I started with a Kritter Keeper and tore the egg crates to fit in there, but it was so difficult to keep it clean and there was no space to add more variety to the food.

So I bought that cheap bin at Walmart, some screen, and hot glued window screen in the openings (some air flow). Ordered more egg crates with my second order of roaches. You can also get them at Amazon, though, and probably at feed stores (where you can get livestock food, etc).

Diet wise, I just throw in what I happen to have. I peeled an apple for myself, so I put the peels in there, and some chunks. Half a banana, while I ate the other half, etc. I learned they like greens and all kinds of stuff. So I started doing that. Prior to that I just used the typical "roach food". But if I'm going to feed insects to Smeagol, who adores eating them, I want them to be a valuable food source.

I really just wanted some roaches for him and then it ended up being this project, LMAO!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Considering I want an entire Zoo of animals and feeders, I think you are more normal than I am. Wish I could house and feed an elephant..... yes I know that even if I could afford to buy one, they are large animals that eat and poop a lot. Not to mention vet bills and everything else to care for them. So don't feel bad keeping roaches.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    That is what I'm afraid of. But I don't know what to do with the ones to big for Smeagol. I literally don't. LOL. I don't really want to let them go. They are roaches. And..they don't belong here. I don't know anyone that could use them.

I could put them on craigslist to give away I guess. I duno.

I wouldn't mind a few breeding, but I can see that go a little crazy in no time. And I don't really want them in the house. Right now they are in the Garage, but soon it will get to hot in there. I guess I could put them on the open but covered back porch.

Sigh, how did all that happen, LOL, I didn't need more "pets".
    If you need to dispose of excess adults, the best thing to do is freeze them to kill them, then toss. This is what I do with all the frass and leavings from my roach bin when I clean it, just in case there are any I missed. I don't want to risk them getting out in nature and becoming invasive. My BTS will also eat f/t roaches, so I freeze off excess males and save them for him. He'll eat live ones too, but this is a good way to preserve excess.

I know some people use a food processor and process frozen raoches into their CGD for extra protein. I haven't tried is as I don't have a dedicated food processor and I'm not putting roaches in the one I use for food lol.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234