Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,493

3 members and 1,490 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Ball Python Behaviour Concerns

Hello everyone, new to BP.Net so thank you in advance for your patience with my questions!!

I have 2 concerns about my girl Pandora - named after the Greek Myth NOT the jewelry brand XD (2.5-3 yrs old, Pastel BP, sexed as Female when purchased, 1.4kg approx, sheds well)

1. Lately she's been what I can only explain as 'not shy' or 'active'?? Usually she stays in her hides or moves between them during the day and comes out in the late evening. However in the last few weeks, she comes out during the middle of the day and just chills out on her rock or log, stays there for a while, does it several times a day. Is this normal? Is she too cold? Uncomfortable? Too hot? Hot Spot averages 87F, Cool Spot averages 75F, Humidity sits about 60% (varies during the day but I usually spray her enclosure morning and night).

2. Eating. When she was smaller, it was 1 Hooper/week. As she got bigger we are now on 1 Medium Rat/2weeks. The rats are thawed in water, after they thaw placed in lukewarm water to heat up and I give them a few seconds under the heat lamp for a final little heat signature boost before I offer them to Pandora. She's rejected the last 3 rates (3 connective weeks) so this is in total the 5th week (going on 6) that she hasn't eaten. She shows interest but doesn't strike and didn't eat the rats when I left them in her cage for a little while. Personality wise, when she was smaller she struck always, then went through a phase when she didn't strike but ate them when left with her, then she started striking again and now isn't eating. Are these normal eating behaviours for her? When should I be concerned about her lack of eating? If she does or doesn't strike consistently should I be worried? Am I doing something wrong?

I really appreciate the advise.
    Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Ball Python Behaviour Concerns

Welcome to the forum AJ. If your temps are dialed in accurately I wouldn't be too worried just yet. The colder temps, and breeding season, have a few of my snakes eating sporadically right now too. Hopefully they'll pick up again once the weather warms up a bit. All of my snakes strike their prey but I wouldn't care if they didn't. As long as they eat that's all that matters.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    You might try bumping up the temps. by just a few degrees: you don't want the hot spot over 90* & the cool end might be more conducive to her eating if kept close
    to 80*, especially with the shorter days of winter "essentially telling snakes NOT to eat". Also, many have success using a blow-dryer on the thawed feeders, just prior
    to offering (& hurry, they cool off fast). I do agree with El-Ziggy though, this can also be quite typical for adult BPs in winter...just frustrating too, I know.

Something else to keep in mind: BPs that are hunting for food generally are looking out from the doorway of a hide (they're ambush-predators), & also they
    seldom accept food when out in the "open" (in their enclosure). Evening is the preferred time to dine. While younger snakes are often easily fed, you may
    have to really "tow the line" when feeding an adult BP (ie. keep all these factors dialed in) and DO NOT offer too often (not more than once every week, or every 2 weeks is even better.) They get stressed from too many offers...we become annoying, like telemarketers to them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-25-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-26-2020)