Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,791

0 members and 2,791 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Maintaining humidity

Hi I have a hatchling bp he is less than an month old, I am having problems maintaining the humidity in his tank. My setup for the moment is a 5gallon tank with a zoo med uth and a 25 watt zoomed nano basking light. So far the temperature gradient is 85 on the hot side and about 76 on the cool side, I have tried to move the water bowl closer to the light, plus have tried to mist the tank but it seems like that only last for about an hr or 2 that it slowly goes down. My hot side humidity is about 30% and the cool side is about 40%. Any ideas how I can maintain it would be awesome. Thank you

Thanks

Re: Maintaining humidity

Cover about 3/4 of the lid with aluminum foil. It’s not pretty but it holds humidity. Make sure when you do that it’s on the outside only. What kind of substrate are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Zaho86 (03-22-2021)

Thanks

I actually have a little less than half of the lid already covered with foil tape. I am using forest floor for substrate.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaho86 View Post
    I actually have a little less than half of the lid already covered with foil tape. I am using forest floor for substrate.
    You'll need to cover most of the top to keep humidity inside. Also, it's quite normal for the warmest side to have lower humidity than the cooler side, so don't stress if you can't get the same reading.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-23-2021),Spicey (03-23-2021),Zaho86 (03-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You'll need to cover most of the top to keep humidity inside. Also, it's quite normal for the warmest side to have lower humidity than the cooler side, so don't stress if you can't get the same reading.
    This would be my advice too, and either make or purchase yourself a humid hide. I can tell you just from the past couple of weeks using a 10 gallon as a quarantine tank, even with humidity holding substrate and most of the lid covered, it's a little difficult to keep ambient humidity up, but with a humid hide in there your snake can always make its way in if the air gets too dry.

If you want to buy one these are what I use and I love them.
    https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/...y-hide-en.html

I've also made plenty out of Tupperware, deli cups, and an assortment of other random containers, so if you don't want to purchase any, the options are still almost limitless on what you can do.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 03-23-2021 at 08:22 AM. Reason: correcting spelling

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-23-2021)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaho86 View Post

Just my 2 cents, and someone else can jump in if they disagree, I would get rid of the half log or at a minimum block off one end of it so there's one one entry/exit. BPs like secure, size appropriate hides and having something open on both ends could cause some stress to your snake. I'd also block off three sides of the enclosure so your BP feels a little more secure, and I can't see if you have a second hide on the cool side, but would put one in if not. If you can get some foam or some other type of insulating material for the sides and back of your enclosure, it will hold heat better and your heating elements won't need to run as much, thereby reducing the drying effect they're having on your enclosure.

The humidity being lower on the warm end is perfectly normal. Even in my enclosure now that's highly modified my warm end is 55% and cool end is 65%. Personally I've always kept my humidity somewhere between 50-60% and have had no issues, because I have a humid hide that's upwards of 70-75% that's available 24-7 for my BP to go into if he needs it. I also mist once or twice a day when in shed just to be safe.

Don't get too hung up on humidity. Different sites will tell you different things, for example, the Reddit BP section moderators will tell you that 80% is ideal and that anything lower than 60% is dangerous for a BP, which is just.. not correct. I would focus on some of your other enclosure issues first.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-23-2021),Snow Balls (03-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Just my 2 cents, and someone else can jump in if they disagree, I would get rid of the half log or at a minimum block off one end of it so there's one one entry/exit. BPs like secure, size appropriate hides and having something open on both ends could cause some stress to your snake. I'd also block off three sides of the enclosure so your BP feels a little more secure, and I can't see if you have a second hide on the cool side, but would put one in if not. If you can get some foam or some other type of insulating material for the sides and back of your enclosure, it will hold heat better and your heating elements won't need to run as much, thereby reducing the drying effect they're having on your enclosure.

The humidity being lower on the warm end is perfectly normal. Even in my enclosure now that's highly modified my warm end is 55% and cool end is 65%. Personally I've always kept my humidity somewhere between 50-60% and have had no issues, because I have a humid hide that's upwards of 70-75% that's available 24-7 for my BP to go into if he needs it. I also mist once or twice a day when in shed just to be safe.

Don't get too hung up on humidity. Different sites will tell you different things, for example, the Reddit BP section moderators will tell you that 80% is ideal and that anything lower than 60% is dangerous for a BP, which is just.. not correct. I would focus on some of your other enclosure issues first.
    I’ll second this! I’m actually surprised some people think 80% is ideal. I think that’s way to high...
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Yessss for a "third" in agreement. All of the above.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

So far with 3/4 of the lid covered humidity seems to be holding, last I checked it was 57% on the cool side and 44% on the hot side. I am gonna try the things that you are recommending, I have found some foam insulation I’m gonna try to put around the 3sides and look in to a more enclosed hide. Thank you I appreciated all the advice so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast