Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,925

2 members and 2,923 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Negative comments

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When challenged (& appropriate to time & place) you can point out (for example): that most snakes are very fussy eaters (we don't smell like their food!), &
    that they actually aren't out to bite us but instead bite out of fear & self-defense- & remind them how big & scary we appear to snakes. Explain that snakes
    rely on their excellent sense of smell & touch (instead of vision to identify things) & that they are deaf. <many ppl don't realize that...they'll say they yelled
    at a snake to leave their yard & killed it when it wouldn't... When you can point out something about snakes that the person doesn't know, they may then
    realize that their information may be all wrong...even if they don't admit it to you at the time, they may think about it. I've had people come back to ask more
    questions once they were intrigued with some "new" information. Just crack open the door & let some "light" in, if & when you can.
    Wow! Thank you for the tip! I will try this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

When challenged (& appropriate to time & place) you can point out (for example): that most snakes are very fussy eaters (we don't smell like their food!), &
    that they actually aren't out to bite us but instead bite out of fear & self-defense- & remind them how big & scary we appear to snakes. Explain that snakes
    rely on their excellent sense of smell & touch (instead of vision to identify things) & that they are deaf. <many ppl don't realize that...they'll say they yelled
    at a snake to leave their yard & killed it when it wouldn't... When you can point out something about snakes that the person doesn't know, they may then
    realize that their information may be all wrong...even if they don't admit it to you at the time, they may think about it. I've had people come back to ask more
    questions once they were intrigued with some "new" information. Just crack open the door & let some "light" in, if & when you can.
    I think that's great advice. I think some people go looking for a fight sometimes. I was in Ikea a year or so ago and a there was a kid walking around with a BP wrapped around his wrist.
    He was def getting the reactions he wanted. Everyone was looking at him and some people obviously didn't think it was as cool as others and some words were exchanged. The kid was out to shock people but in reality all he was doing was scaring the crap of his poor snake. The AC is that place was cranked and the poor snake was freezing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    Wow! Thank you for the tip! I will try this...
    Many of us don't realize how much we know about snakes that others don't...things that can help others understand & develop empathy, even if they never want
    a pet snake, at least they won't go out of their way to kill them, & may stop others from doing so. We can all make a difference. I usually let people know that I
    grew up loving animals but never expected to like snakes- I just kept an open mind when I was offered one & discovered they aren't at all like most expect them
    to be. I also like to point out they are beautiful & graceful to watch (like tropical fish) except they can also be held & that they are mostly soothing, laid-back pets-
    not demanding, & like most pets, they promote "being in the moment". I try to let others see them the way I do.

Another angle that impresses people is how they've adapted to survive, & even in harsh climates: that they can get by on very little food by brumating (easier to
    say 'hibernating' for most people). Explain "cold blooded" (which is a very negative-sounding -a term usually associated with "murder"!) as their means to survive.

Whenever I go to the dentist I only wish I could open my mouth the same way...it would be so much easier! It often helps to remind people of the skills snakes
    have...ask them if THEY can undress using no hands or feet? I sometimes joke that I've been trying without success to teach my dogs to shed in one piece...
    Share your fascination in any way that might "sink in", & a little humor never hurts either, when you can manage it.

Over the years, I've just found that most people "hate" snakes because they don't understand them. Knowledge replaces fear...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-15-2018 at 02:33 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-15-2018),cletus (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018),zina10 (11-15-2018)

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Many of us don't realize how much we know about snakes that others don't...things that can help others understand & develop empathy, even if they never want
    a pet snake, at least they won't go out of their way to kill them, & may stop others from doing so. We can all make a difference. I usually let people know that I
    grew up loving animals but never expected to like snakes- I just kept an open mind when I was offered one & discovered they aren't at all like most expect them
    to be. I also like to point out they are beautiful & graceful to watch (like tropical fish) except they can also be held & that they are mostly soothing, laid-back pets-
    not demanding, & like most pets, they promote "being in the moment". I try to let others see them the way I do.

Another angle that impresses people is how they've adapted to survive, & even in harsh climates: that they can get by on very little food by brumating (easier to
    say 'hibernating' for most people). Explain "cold blooded" (which is a very negative-sounding -a term usually associated with "murder"!) as their means to survive.

Whenever I go to the dentist I only wish I could open my mouth the same way...it would be so much easier! It often helps to remind people of the skills snakes
    have...ask them if THEY can undress using no hands or feet? I sometimes joke that I've been trying without success to teach my dogs to shed in one piece...
    Share your fascination in any way that might "sink in", & a little humor never hurts either, when you can manage it.

Over the years, I've just found that most people "hate" snakes because they don't understand them. Knowledge replaces fear...
    "Knowledge replace fear" I really do like that! You are funny and very helpful. Love the advice you've been giving me in regards to this. Thank you so much for replying and making me laugh.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    I think it comes with the territory. People express fear in funny ways. They are misunderstood creatures and that's what appeals to me so much. I mainly just get the eww why would you want a snake reaction followed by curiosity. Did have a sister in law go a bit overboard saying she would never allow my nephew over. Thankfully she got over it pretty quickly once she saw it's not a ruthless and bloodthirsty killing machine. I did have a lady give me crap in the pet store line a few weeks ago about how cruel I am when I was buying a feeder rat. I'm sorry that makes you feel a certain way but what you want me to do? Try the broccoli and cauliflower diet?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),SVT Wylde (11-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Helonwheelz383 View Post
    I think it comes with the territory. People express fear in funny ways. They are misunderstood creatures and that's what appeals to me so much. I mainly just get the eww why would you want a snake reaction followed by curiosity. Did have a sister in law go a bit overboard saying she would never allow my nephew over. Thankfully she got over it pretty quickly once she saw it's not a ruthless and bloodthirsty killing machine. I did have a lady give me crap in the pet store line a few weeks ago about how cruel I am when I was buying a feeder rat. I'm sorry that makes you feel a certain way but what you want me to do? Try the broccoli and cauliflower diet?
    I had a similar conversation recently with a friend on FB. I’d posted a really cool video of an owl where the handler was showing what narrow spaces they could fly through. The reward was a rat. My friend thought it was so cruel to feed “babies”. I explained that some raptors needed recognizable prey, much as my snakes do. There was no option for “chow” as it isn’t a recognizable food source. You can’t go againsts thousands of years of prey instinct.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I had a similar conversation recently with a friend on FB. I’d posted a really cool video of an owl where the handler was showing what narrow spaces they could fly through. The reward was a rat. My friend thought it was so cruel to feed “babies”. I explained that some raptors needed recognizable prey, much as my snakes do. There was no option for “chow” as it isn’t a recognizable food source. You can’t go againsts thousands of years of prey instinct.
    Remember when PETA was all about trying to convert snakes to eating Sausages over Rodents? LOL.

Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Thanks

"Knowledge replace fear" I really do like that! You are funny and very helpful. Love the advice you've been giving me in regards to this. Thank you so much for replying and making me laugh.

It's just practice- once when I was giving a lecture about snakes to adults & holding one, I was asked how you can tell the males from the females, & inexplicably right
    at that moment the snake I was holding decided to head down the open collar of my shirt, so I said "obviously, this is a male". It made them all laugh, & that can
    really help ease tension for those that were there in spite of their own fear.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I have noticed that recently whenever someone take note that I have a snake as a pet, they say something negative. Like, "Hes going to eat you", "did you not hear about the woman who got ate by a python", "you are insane." I never knew that their were so many individuals put there in the world that were afraid or thought negatively about a snake. Like I had someone who ask me if I did my research on snakes. As if I got my snake spontaneously. Yes, I did my research. When I was in the proof getting a snake all I wanted was a pet to have around and not your normal pet either. But I never expected so many negative comments. I will be lying if I said it didn't effect me a little bit. Does anyone else have to do deal with this or is it just me?

As someone who shows them publicly to people for education, Yes, I have herd it all. I simply tell people, "Spend 10 minuets with some of my animals. You might find what you think about them is wrong?" Cant change everyone's mind but I now have a few people who have done a 180 and now respect them for what they are. Some tell me they will only hold my animals. Some will never change their minds. Short answer. As long as they don't take away my right and ability to love them and have them, they can feel how they so choose.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Dianne (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    I think what most people ask about (negatively) are bites from our snakes, & that's one of the easiest things to deflect. Remind them that a bite from a pet snake
    does VERY LITTLE damage (not counting giant or venomous snakes) & usually doesn't even get infected (because snakes don't eat sugary foods that bacteria thrives
    on), whereas birds (not only parrots but even little parakeets) can take a chunk out of you, dog bites can do a lot of damage as can the bites & scratches from cats
    (& cats especially carry LOTS of germs), & even those cute little rodents have bites that hurt much more & can get infected. And as much as I love horses (& used
    to ride), even a well-meaning horse can kill you....statistically you're better off with snake pets.

Also, once you understand why snakes bite, most bites are preventable. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said "aren't you worried about snake bites?"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-15-2018)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast