Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,796

1 members and 2,795 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Still not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    How long have you had this snake? Ball pythons are on the shy end of the temperament scale and these snakes are not big fans of change. At over a year old, they may need several weeks or even a few months to decide they feel comfortable enough to eat after being introduced to a new home.
    I’ve had them over a month now they’ve taken from me Once properly eaten while left in the enclosure and struck just last week but hit hide instead of rat and wouldn’t try again everytime they have eaten it’s been a white and brown male rat they are very curious I’m not pushing handling incase it’s just a case of settling in they’ve been out of enclosure once I let them come out themselves I did see if they wanted to come onto my hand and they did they changed mind I didn’t pick them up until I had to redirect from wires and when I put them back the handling side of things I don’t mind if it takes months aslong as they are happy and healthy that’s all I’m bothered about they are very curious usually if I open the tub peaking their little head out of hide to see what I’m doing haha if they are out of the hide and I’m in the room they happily will carry on exploring around tub tounge flicking but they are due shed any minute they are hiding a lot so I’m just seeing if it’s that I’m still going to try feed them next week unless they go into blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    It sounds like you are on the right track with the way you are dealing with this. One or two months is nothing in Ball python time - just be patient, continue to be very conservative with handling if you handle at all, keep offering once a week or so, and hang in there. I think things will work out fine but you can always get help and support here.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-28-2023),Bogertophis (05-28-2023),Ruby (05-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell_1990 View Post
    I’ve had them over a month now they’ve taken from me Once properly eaten while left in the enclosure and struck just last week but hit hide instead of rat and wouldn’t try again...
    I've seen snakes do things like that before- miss the food & hit something hard (ouch!) & then temporarily lose their confidence. In their mind, I think they think the prey fought back, lol.

BPs aren't the most aggressive (confident) snakes to begin with, which is why you need to minimize distractions & things that may go wrong when feeding them. I'd continue to avoid any handling & interactions- they need to focus on "being snakes". Hang in there.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Most of my Royals are albinos and their eyesight seems to be pitifully poor .. it makes you wonder how Royals even survive in the wild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-28-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Most of my Royals are albinos and their eyesight seems to be pitifully poor .. it makes you wonder how Royals even survive in the wild

Well, albinos generally don't survive in the wild. The so-called "normal" color & pattern BP is what actually survives the best- so says natural selection, and when humans keep breeding for anything BUT "normal", I think you have to expect problems, subtle or otherwise.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-28-2023),Bluebell_1990 (05-28-2023),Spicey (05-30-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    It sounds like you are on the right track with the way you are dealing with this. One or two months is nothing in Ball python time - just be patient, continue to be very conservative with handling if you handle at all, keep offering once a week or so, and hang in there. I think things will work out fine but you can always get help and support here.
    Thankyou!! I think because they are my first python sometimes I just overthink and feel I’m doing the wrong thing I just want them to feel happy and secure I’m more than willing to give them that time to adjust I’d much rather go at their pace

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've seen snakes do things like that before- miss the food & hit something hard (ouch!) & then temporarily lose their confidence. In their mind, I think they think the prey fought back, lol.

BPs aren't the most aggressive (confident) snakes to begin with, which is why you need to minimize distractions & things that may go wrong when feeding them. I'd continue to avoid any handling & interactions- they need to focus on "being snakes". Hang in there.
    I felt awful luckily it was the humid hide that’s plastic and not one of their rock ones :0 awwwwww haha
    Next week I’m going to just put a lamp on with just enough light so I can see and see if that helps im not going to try handling or moving them into bigger enclosure until they are on regular feeding routine just means I have longer to get more goodies for the tank!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebell_1990 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, albinos generally don't survive in the wild. The so-called "normal" color & pattern BP is what actually survives the best- so says natural selection, and when humans keep breeding for anything BUT "normal", I think you have to expect problems, subtle or otherwise.
    All my Royals over the years have had poor eyesight and regularly missed with strikes
    Inc normals and about 15 different morphs

When I see Corn snakes and Rat snakes excitedly slide OVER the mouse / rat as they try and locate their food I just wonder how they manage with live , elusive critters

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    All my Royals over the years have had poor eyesight and regularly missed with strikes
    Inc normals and about 15 different morphs

When I see Corn snakes and Rat snakes excitedly slide OVER the mouse / rat as they try and locate their food I just wonder how they manage with live , elusive critters

Oh, I know- I've wondered for many years how snakes manage to catch food in the wild when they sometimes act so blind & clueless even when eating pre-killed that are handed to them.

I suppose being a LOT hungrier (in the wild) helps, as does actually making the kill- they get tactile clues while hanging on to prey that helps them find the head & all that.

Let's face it- if snakes could drive, they'd ALL qualify for a handicapped parking placard.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-29-2023 at 10:34 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-29-2023)

Thanks

My little corn always strikes once then I have to place it down for him to eat it he won’t strike and wrap at all I’ve tried he definitely isn’t built for the wild at all haha

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebell_1990 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12