Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,546

2 members and 2,544 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Gio, thank you for posting this thread. I'm glad you and Wallace are doing ok!

I can be added to the list of having animals acting differently recently. My two retics have only been slightly more active than normal with just cruising their enclosure. Jack did recently start hunting the day after a feed instead of sleeping it off.

The most noticeable change has been my eldest carpet. Her enclosure is the closest to an outside door and with the most ventilation. Normally she is content to sleep in her hide or hang in a hunting position. The past week she has been more active than the retics, poking at her cage. Generally just being more inquisitive and actually coming out to explore when I leave her door open instead of being content in her cage.

My only other snake that is noticeably different recently is one of my corns. This guy is typically shy and was a somewhat finicky eater when he was younger. Last week a few days after feeding I was spot cleaning his tank and changing water. He shot out from under his hide across the tank, got my hand and started to coil. I just left him there and went on with cleaning his tank till he realized I wasn't food.

A lot of my hobbies deal with animals and their behavior. I would say weather has a big impact on animals. Anything from temperature, barometric pressure, to wind speed and direction. Moon phases also play major a part in animals activity, which we just had a full moon last week.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-22-2019),EL-Ziggy (07-22-2019),Gio (07-22-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-22-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Advanced species.

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    Gio, thank you for posting this thread. I'm glad you and Wallace are doing ok!

I can be added to the list of having animals acting differently recently. My two retics have only been slightly more active than normal with just cruising their enclosure. Jack did recently start hunting the day after a feed instead of sleeping it off.

The most noticeable change has been my eldest carpet. Her enclosure is the closest to an outside door and with the most ventilation. Normally she is content to sleep in her hide or hang in a hunting position. The past week she has been more active than the retics, poking at her cage. Generally just being more inquisitive and actually coming out to explore when I leave her door open instead of being content in her cage.

My only other snake that is noticeably different recently is one of my corns. This guy is typically shy and was a somewhat finicky eater when he was younger. Last week a few days after feeding I was spot cleaning his tank and changing water. He shot out from under his hide across the tank, got my hand and started to coil. I just left him there and went on with cleaning his tank till he realized I wasn't food.

A lot of my hobbies deal with animals and their behavior. I would say weather has a big impact on animals. Anything from temperature, barometric pressure, to wind speed and direction. Moon phases also play major a part in animals activity, which we just had a full moon last week.

Very good point about moon cycles. I hadn't considered that...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post

About your corn snake:

And I hadn't considered the moon phases either. Moon phases affect humans too, for that matter.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-22-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-22-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    About your corn snake:

And I hadn't considered the moon phases either. Moon phases affect humans too, for that matter.
    My mom used to always say “The crazies come out when the moon is full.” I never fully understood that till I got older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-22-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    My mom used to always say “The crazies come out when the moon is full.” I never fully understood that till I got older.

And if you want to see it first-hand, just get a job in customer service of any kind...

All this excitement everyone's having (feeding their snakes lately), I'm just feeling left out...I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary lately. Sure, it's warm
    weather & my snakes are good eaters, but nothing crazy...not trying to eat my hands or anything.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-22-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-23-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And if you want to see it first-hand, just get a job in customer service of any kind...

All this excitement everyone's having (feeding their snakes lately), I'm just feeling left out...I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary lately. Sure, it's warm
    weather & my snakes are good eaters, but nothing crazy...not trying to eat my hands or anything.
    My turtle got out and took off, he probably left to go chase that female 3 toed I saw in my driveway a couple weeks earlier. His behavior was very out of the ordinary right before he escaped. Two weeks before he escaped he was eating out of my hand and letting me handle him quite a bit. After the temps shifted and this warm front came in he started not wanting to be handled at all and would not eat from my hand and constantly roaming his enclosure. Reading this thread it makes a lot of sense why he was acting like that.

I’ve worked customer service or with people my entire life lol the majority of this population if definitely crazy regardless of the phases of the moon

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-23-2019),Reinz (07-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

They will keep you on your toes for sure.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Wow. Looks like you opened up a thread others can relate to. Well nobody is dealing with anything like your Crazy Story but many seem to relate to the keyed up behavior lately.
    2 things you said really made me think. The fact that Retics are so cute and pretty docile as hatchlings has people buying them and breeding them like Hot Cakes, with that said so many people have no clue what they’re getting into. I see Hundreds in Snake rescues. Its terrible.
    The second thing was about your Royal. Mine have not used Hides in a month. They’re laying out like my Burm hahahah. I think this weather has all hell breaking loose. My Albino is acting like a Doggy in the Window. She is up all day and watching with her chin on the track. When i slide the door open she comes out onto my shoulder. It cracks me up for snakes that usually stay to themselves. Even the BIL is out and about during the day more. Anyway great thread, I wish people were wise and learned from others instead of having to make all the mistakes ourselves when it isn’t just us it effects. Honestly most people are not like you, most would have that Retic on craigslist after that. This Forum has some dedicated people who’s passion are their snakes. Thats not the majority of who buys them

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-30-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-23-2019),o.r hill (08-12-2019),Reinz (07-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    They will keep you on your toes for sure.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
    My king snake did that tonight! Fortunately it's easy enough to scoop her up and put her back in her tub while she's busy "killing" her f/t mouse.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019),Gio (07-23-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-23-2019),Reinz (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Yes,

It is obviously the heat and the peak of the summer months.

However depending on the species things can be exciting VS. scary.

Wallace has calmed considerably, actually to the point where I have had him out, if only for about a minute.

Even so, I'm very surprised that a whole rag dipped in Listerine did nothing to mellow his feeding response on the night I had problems with him.

The fact that he struck and tried to eat a 3 foot, steel, snake hook first and then keyed in on, struck and constricted the rag and wood dowel and tried to eat it was a rude awakening for me. Retics ARE an advanced species.

Maybe my experience could be considered isolated. It was very unexpected and worth mentioning.

I personally, would not recommend one as a pet unless you are very experienced and committed with some help. Even the SD and Dwarf types depending on size.

They are wonderful, but not a breeze by a long shot.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-23-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-30-2019),EL-Ziggy (07-31-2019),jmcrook (07-23-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (07-24-2019),o.r hill (08-12-2019),Reinz (07-24-2019)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast