Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,922

3 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Crowley progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Crowley has always still done missions during his fasts, he has the energy and doesn't lose weight. Some of these messages are clearly meant to just get me going (not from you Craiga 01453). like saying "In before lock" is clearly just to piss me off. It is indeed winter here where I live in Canada, there is lots of snow on the ground. This isn't the only place I talk to people including experts and I've been told what I do isn't wrong, sure it is different but those with an open mind can see I am doing right by my snake. I didn't immediately just start taking him out after the move, even though he was riding the glass asking, I waited at least a week. He had 30 minutes out the first day so he can check out his surroundings and not be overwhelmed. He's been sleeping great since the move, he used to get up early because of the bird. I feel terrible that I didn't notice this as a sign but at the time I'd let them see each other and they didn't seem to mind. It was when the parrot went in his crazy breeding mode that got Crowley scared or over the edge.

I can't use every single piece of advice given to me as some contradict others. I talk to pros who have kept snakes in tubs and also larger enclosures that have a variety of experiences, they have addressed what I can improve on and I did. I don't get all my advice solely from the forum alone. I don't see how Crowley being stuck in a tank asking to come out is better than just letting him roam around for a couple hours in his room. He shows no signs of stress at all doing so. I never said I think anyone is wrong here, in fact I don't think anyone is wrong, just may not be right for Crowley as he isn't just a tub snake. He was raised letting him do missions a lot and to change that would probably make things worse. That I find worse a fate than any to have so much and lose it all. If you live in a small confined space your whole life, you will be used to that and going out where there are a lot of things would be stressful of course. Crowley has been able to come out almost daily his whole life and was let to roam around, to confine him after 6 years of being able to come out would be cruel.

I have a couple questions and I am going to leave this alone:

1.) How do you know the snake is asking to be removed from his enclosure?

2.) How do you know when he is sleeping and how well he has been sleeping?

3.) Have you weighed that snake when he was eating and now that he has been off of food?

The reason for question 3 is because I have a VERY hard time believing that snake hasn't lost any weight given the number of "missions" he is placed on every day and the stress level he is kept at.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    I have a couple questions and I am going to leave this alone:

1.) How do you know the snake is asking to be removed from his enclosure?

2.) How do you know when he is sleeping and how well he has been sleeping?

3.) Have you weighed that snake when he was eating and now that he has been off of food?

The reason for question 3 is because I have a VERY hard time believing that snake hasn't lost any weight given the number of "missions" he is placed on every day and the stress level he is kept at.
    1 - he rides the glass of his enclosure constantly, I open the door and he comes out himself, I never actually take him out by removing him, I let him come out by himself every time.

2 - I have a nanny cam that watches over him and I take time lapse videos so I can see when he goes to sleep and when he gets up. He went from getting up early (when he was in the same room as the bird) to getting up when his light shuts off or sometimes sleeps in about an hour before getting up.

3 - I weigh him once in a while and he's not losing weight, I haven't weighed him yet since he's been in the room as my scale doesn't work on carpet but I will probably weigh him tonight as I can just easily fold the carpet over and have a space to weigh him, I should of thought of this sooner.

Thanks
    My comment about in before the lock wasn’t about u but about people like me that have a hard time controlling my mouth. I now type what I want first. Then erase it and type something nicer the second time. Lol
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alright guys remember what I always say you can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink! Rather than focusing on someone that does not want or care to have your help, simply move on and find someone that does.

That's their snake they are free to keep it the way they want and ignore issues and not listen, going back and forth is not gonna make any difference if someone is not willing to listen and will only increase the negativity which will eventually lead to the thread being locked.

In other words pick and choose your battles.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-04-2019),Sonny1318 (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    Trust me I could care less about some of the humans on here and more about the animals care. And most of the people that are trying to help u feel the same way.

Im not saying his room is bad or u shouldn’t let him out, I’m saying u need to give him a break until he eats at least 3 meals again. Then u can resume, if he stops eating again then that should tell u something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Alright guys remember what I always say you can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink! Rather than focusing on someone that does not want or care to have your help, simply move on and find someone that does.

That's their snake they are free to keep it the way they want and ignore issues and not listen, going back and forth is not gonna make any difference if someone is not willing to listen and will only increase the negativity which will eventually lead to the thread being locked.

The queen has spoken, she tells us tales of unwanted advice falling upon deaf ears, is like beating a dead horse.

We hear u

- - - Updated - - -

The queen has spoken, she tells us tales of unwanted advice falling upon deaf ears, is like beating a dead horse.

We hear u

Thanks
    I've been told to keep an open mind many times, I feel as though those who think I am doing wrong by Crowley should keep an open mind too, if you don't like how I care for Crowley, just simply sit back and see how his progression goes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2019)

Thanks

Thank you, I am convinced the way I treat Crowley is right for him. I appreciate all the advice given though some were very mean in their ways of telling me or just simply trying to provoke me. To go with the metaphor, this horse only drinks well water, it isn't wrong, it's just different. I truly believe I am doing what's right for my little guy. I live with him and know him best. I have listened to a lot of advice, whether it be on this forum or elsewhere and I feel as though I am taking the best care of Crowley that I can.

He's not eating but he does this every year and has always been able to come out, fasting during the cold months while still doing missions and maintaining his weight, sure he loses a bit of course but stays looking healthy. Whether it was the AC getting too cold one day triggering his fast or the parrot scaring him starting his fast early, he is still a happy and healthy snake. Having him near the parrot was a mistake and I've learned from it.

Hopefully people can read this thread with an open mind and see how Crowley was raised differently and is cared for accordingly. I never force him to come out, he chooses to do so on his own. The only time I take him out myself is when I try to feed him or when I need to clean his enclosure do to him peeing or pooping. Over the years maybe people will realize he is doing just fine the way I take care of him other than this one incident with the parrot which caused all this bashing and such. Crowley has been doing fine for years and nobody said anything till I made one mistake. Now I feel as though those who like Crowley and don't see how I treat him as an issue stay silent due to the many attacks on me and I don't blame them. There are those who still read about him in silence and that is fine. I like to show my way of taking care of Crowley and how different methods can work just fine.

Science has been discovering more and more that reptiles and snakes are smarter than they were once thought to be and that they sure can show emotions and affection, there was a thread on this very forum about it posted not too long ago. I hope to keep this thread going, giving updates on how Crowley is doing. Like I've said, if you don't agree with my methods just sit back and read how Crowley is doing and over the years when he's still alive and well maybe Crowley can open some minds to alternate ways of keeping snakes. I am not saying keeping a snake in a tub is wrong, just different (and more common of course). I am not the only one that has a snake treated like Crowley and those have thrived too with similar care to Crowley's. I have taken a lot of advice from experts especially those who have kept snakes the way I keep Crowley so I am not just blindly doing anything I want with him. I do my research.

Thank you all for those who read and care about Crowley. He is an amazing snake and companion and has helped me in so many ways with my life as a therapy snake. I make him happy and he makes me happy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thriving and surviving sound similar but aren’t. I’d love to be proven wrong and shown any evidence u have about how ur methods are the best way to treat ur snake. But just like all your other posts u will just ignore this and post the same thing about the tons of people that say your in the right. So plz prove me wrong.

And if u were an expert and had many experienced keeps telling u how great u were doing then why would u home a parrot and a snake in the same room? I just want an intelligent conversation with u making valid points u can back up. If u want I can show u scientific proof of everything I say, can u?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    Since Crowley hasn't eaten in a while he did lose some weight which is to be expected as he pooped out all that extra rat waste since weighing him when he was eating which he was at 5 pounds (2268 grams) when he was eating. He is now down to 4.6 pounds (2087 grams) but this is normal weight loss for going on a fast, he usually loses that extra rat waste weight then sustains his weight for a long time maybe gradually losing a bit over a 7 month fast. He hasn't lost much weight at all, that is nice to see. If he losses too much or starts to look unhealthy (triangular) I will be stopping his missions to slow his weight loss. I will try feeding him tomorrow and see how that goes. Whether he's in his enclosure or not I don't think that is a factor in why he isn't eating. A stressed out snake wouldn't willingly come out by himself and want to come out for longer when put back in the enclosure.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast