Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,752

1 members and 2,751 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mice and Racks

Thanks

Mice and Racks

In the next few years I would like to begin breeding Ball Pythons but I seem to have hit two roadblocks in my planning (I want to make sure I have everything figured out before buying snakes with the intention to breed). The first is that my house is typically 75 ish-69 degrees. I know that the minimum it should be is 75. I was wondering if I can combat this by having a smaller (3-4 in) strip of heat tape as the hot spot and a larger strip (11 in?) in the front to maintain the "cold" spot at the correct tempature? The next problem is that hatchling Ball Pythons typically eat live prey for their first few meals but its next to impossible to get live hoppers near me. Which means I would have to either breed mice, or give up on breeding Ball Pythons. I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this and if anyone can give me some information regarding the breeding of mice I would be very grateful.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Max
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TopazEye For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (09-11-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just as a heads up I use a rack. A VE-6 to be exact. I found that the cold side temp is regulated quite well by the heat tape on the hot side. My house is at 74, and the cold side is about 78-79. Hot side is set at 94, but that makes 89 in the tub. I measure the temp 1 time a day at least. usually 2 - 3 times a day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

MattEvans (09-11-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not about the hot spot it's about the ambient temps, you can use a regular 3 to 4 inches strip of heat tape but you will require a room heated with a oil filled heater and a reliable external thermostat set to at least 75

As for mice you build a rack with plumbing system and you set up several harems and have several tubs for weans and grow out.

You need to start with small weaned mice not adult raise them up to optimal size and start pairing them when ready.

Number of mice you will produce will depend on how many animals you will produce.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (09-11-2019)

Thanks

Re: Mice and Racks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    Just as a heads up I use a rack. A VE-6 to be exact. I found that the cold side temp is regulated quite well by the heat tape on the hot side. My house is at 74, and the cold side is about 78-79. Hot side is set at 94, but that makes 89 in the tub. I measure the temp 1 time a day at least. usually 2 - 3 times a day.
    Agreed. The tubs dont lose the heat like a glass enclosure does. My two glass enclorsures require ambient heating. But my racks cool side sits 6-7 degrees higher than the room temperature. It would definitely work with the dual heat tape though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    It's not about the hot spot it's about the ambient temps, you can use a regular 3 to 4 inches strip of heat tape but you will require a room heated with a oil filled heater and a reliable external thermostat set to at least 75

As for mice you build a rack with plumbing system and you set up several harems and have several tubs for weans and grow out.

You need to start with small weaned mice not adult raise them up to optimal size and start pairing them when ready.

Number of mice you will produce will depend on how many animals you will produce.
    I'm looking at getting one breeding pair (To make Banana Clowns/Banana Pieds) so I wouldnt have very many offspring, 8-9 hatchlings probably. I actually didnt think about an oil filled heater, it would probably be my best bet.
    Last edited by TopazEye; 09-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post
    Agreed. The tubs dont lose the heat like a glass enclosure does. My two glass enclorsures require ambient heating. But my racks cool side sits 6-7 degrees higher than the room temperature. It would definitely work with the dual heat tape though.
    I guess I didnt realize that tubs held heat better, are your racks closed or open sided?
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Thanks

I'm thinking that breeding mice would probably be my only option. Would a 1:3 ratio be good to start with? And what is the best housing? Mouse racks/stand alone tubs, lab cages or tanks?
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post

I should have specified, on the cold side I measure Ambient. on the hot side I measure the hot spot.

Thanks
    Closed sides and open back.

Thanks

I think bin/tub cages would be best ( I dont want to use a rack) and probably the cheapest option. Would mesh on the top be okay as long as I over compensate for chewing and put the mesh on the inside?
    Last edited by TopazEye; 09-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    1.0 Normal BP
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast