Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,853

0 members and 2,853 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Most cost effective way to heat a BP cage?

Hi what's the least expensive way of heating a cage with overhead heat? I don't use tubs.
    At the moment I am using a CHE and a Jungle Dawn LED.
    And recently I am thinking about getting another snake maybe but I am not sure if I can afford it. With prices so high and the economic situation right now, you know.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    If you're not sure (now) if you can afford it, I'd suggest you hold off getting another- as energy costs are likely to rise, as are most other prices, including food, housing, & all your own costs of living.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-03-2022),GoingPostal (07-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Most cost effective way to heat a BP cage?

I totally agree with Bogertophis. As hard as it may be to "hold off," it's probably best for all involved.

Having said that, it's great that you are considering finances and costs when looking at acquiring a reptile. More people should do that. Thinking about future living arrangements is also a good move. So is how many reptiles you realistically want or can care for, etc. Opportunity cost is another factor. If you get 5 BP's now, and decide you want a Boa and/or a carpet python later, you might not have the time, money, or space.

Many people get excited and "go for it" only to release the costs at a later date, or how big the animal gets, or how long it lives, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-03-2022)

Thanks
    Yes I know and I won't get one if its too expensive but I still want to know what is most energy efficient to reduce the costs I alrrady have.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Hi what's the least expensive way of heating a cage with overhead heat? I don't use tubs.
    At the moment I am using a CHE and a Jungle Dawn LED.
    And recently I am thinking about getting another snake maybe but I am not sure if I can afford it. With prices so high and the economic situation right now, you know.
    I know a lot of people in colder climates will use foam board to insulate the three sides of a glass enclosure, others will keep their enclosures in closets to contain the heat and minimize the output required to sustain temps.

Electricity is the highest overhead expenditure I have for keeping my snakes. One electric company in my area owns the power lines, and regardless which electric company I use my 'distribution fees' make the cost among the highest in the continental United States.

Side story: My electric company sends me flyers about how to 'conserve energy', which makes me feel guilty (almost). Of course that was until I was talking to my director last week (who has the same power company) and he said his electric bill averaged between $2100-2700/Month. An olympic-sized in-ground outdoor swimming pool heated to 91F six months out of the year in Massachusetts....cha-ching! My director also boasted that his wife spends $8K/year on flowers for their gardens...I was thinking the other day how that seems unlikely...but, then I went to a greenhouse and saw prices got a bit steep as of late...
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 07-03-2022 at 05:54 AM.
    *.* TNTC

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-03-2022),Homebody (07-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Yes I know and I won't get one if its too expensive but I still want to know what is most energy efficient to reduce the costs I alrrady have.
    What kind of tank do you have?

As mentioned, insulating your tank and/or having a well insulated tank is half the battle. The other half is a combination of a good heat source/efficient heat source and a good thermostat.

A CHE with a good thermostat is probably pretty good in terms of efficiency. The LED lights do nothing for heat, but also use very little electricity.

If you have a PVC tank, and can install one, Radiant Heat Panels (RHP) are the best option. Sounds like whatever you have you have a mesh or wire top, which means no to RHP. CHE is probably your best option.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2022)

Thanks
    And just an obvious reminder- Heat rises! So you get more efficiency with UTH (under tank heat) because the heat is going INTO the tank, instead of starting at the top with much of it going up up & away from where you need it.

UTH tends to be VERY low wattage- so it might be cost effective to do both, especially in the winter time (along with insulating most of the glass or whatever you're using). Then whatever heat source you use overhead won't have to work so hard to push heat down to where your snake is. Snakes like belly heat to digest, & even though UTH won't be enough to warm all the air within the tank to your BP's liking, it's a good start, rather than having your snake perceive a "cold drafty floor" that might make them refuse food.

"Insulation" includes what you attach to the glass, but ALSO what a tank is sitting on. Whether or not you use UTH, it helps if the glass tank (or PVC enclosure) is sitting on top of solid wood furniture- that too is insulation. Always think of the "big picture"- higher elevation in the room is warmer, while closer to the floor is colder. And some parts of a room or home are warmer, just from better heat circulation, & distance from chilly windows or outside doors being opened.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    I was thinking the other day how that seems unlikely...but, then I went to a greenhouse and saw prices got a bit steep as of late...

Please tell me that isn't in the states. Ridiculous!
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Please tell me that isn't in the states. Ridiculous!
    It would appear that Lord Sorril is in Massachusetts, & I agree- that's