Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

0 members and 2,987 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Doubling up feedings for young snakes?

I've looked around the forum a bit, but I haven't been able to find a similar thread so here goes. About ten minutes after taking her pinky my kingsnake hatchling will usually keep looking hungry for a while after (although who am I kidding she looks hungry all the time ). I know she would gladly take another pinky then but I also know that she'll be just fine on one prey item a week. However, if I did decide to offer two I'm pretty sure there's no risk in terms of obesity or power feeding since she's still growing and these are just pinkies. My questions are: is it at all beneficial to double up on appropriately sized mice, and how do you decide when to do so?
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Doubling up feedings for young snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    I've looked around the forum a bit, but I haven't been able to find a similar thread so here goes. About ten minutes after taking her pinky my kingsnake hatchling will usually keep looking hungry for a while after (although who am I kidding she looks hungry all the time ). I know she would gladly take another pinky then but I also know that she'll be just fine on one prey item a week. However, if I did decide to offer two I'm pretty sure there's no risk in terms of obesity or power feeding since she's still growing and these are just pinkies. My questions are: is it at all beneficial to double up on appropriately sized mice, and how do you decide when to do so?
    What size : age is your snake ?

Maybe a photo showing some kind of scale would help .

The tiniest King hatchlings I bought were on two pinkies at a time ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-15-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Young colubrids on pinkies should be fed at least every 3 to 4 days, keep in mind that pinkies have little to no nutritional value and are nothing but fat and water.

Digestion wise it will be easier to feed several times a day than feed the equivalent of a larger meal.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

aurum (11-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: Doubling up feedings for young snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    What size : age is your snake ?

Maybe a photo showing some kind of scale would help .

The tiniest King hatchlings I bought were on two pinkies at a time ...

She’s a bit over a foot long and a little smaller than pinky width at her thickest point. I’m guessing she’s about 4 months old (I got her at the beginning of October and she is a 2019 baby). Given what Stewart Reptiles said I will probably be doubling up at least while she is on pinkies.
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    She’s a bit over a foot long and a little smaller than pinky width at her thickest point. I’m guessing she’s about 4 months old (I got her at the beginning of October and she is a 2019 baby). Given what Stewart Reptiles said I will probably be doubling up at least while she is on pinkies.
    She's big enough to eat 2 pinkies at one time- she's a growing girl & one pinkie won't fill her up for a week. Depending on her cage temperatures, if warm enough, she'd probably eat 2 every 5 days with ease, but I'm not saying you should do that...it's also hard to say- I'm not seeing her. Most ppl on this forum will recommend only one item per meal, but keep in mind they're mostly not dealing with colubrids.

Of my 3 hatchling rat snakes, the oldest one easily takes 2 pinkies per meal now...the 2 hatched recently are still only on one at a time, but it won't be long. Colubrids differ in that their body is relatively narrower & longer, & their metabolism is pretty fast. I tend to feed 2 pinkies before I size up to fuzzies.

Another reason to double up is for specific kinds of snakes with abnormally narrow faces, like desert glossy snakes (which none of you probably have but they're sweet pets)or my TX longnose snake, whose normal meal is actually 5-6 f/t fuzzy mice; the largest he can eat is a skinny hopper, but he prefers fuzzies, and since he's a lizard-eater by "design", I'm just happy he eats fuzzies so well.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-16-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (11-16-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-16-2019),Zincubus (11-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    She's big enough to eat 2 pinkies at one time- she's a growing girl & one pinkie won't fill her up for a week. Depending on her cage temperatures, if warm enough, she'd probably eat 2 every 5 days with ease, but I'm not saying you should do that...it's also hard to say- I'm not seeing her. Most ppl on this forum will recommend only one item per meal, but keep in mind they're mostly not dealing with colubrids.

Of my 3 hatchling rat snakes, the oldest one easily takes 2 pinkies per meal now...the 2 hatched recently are still only on one at a time, but it won't be long. Colubrids differ in that their body is relatively narrower & longer, & their metabolism is pretty fast. I tend to feed 2 pinkies before I size up to fuzzies.

Another reason to double up is for specific kinds of snakes with abnormally narrow faces, like desert glossy snakes (which none of you probably have but they're sweet pets)or my TX longnose snake, whose normal meal is actually 5-6 f/t fuzzy mice; the largest he can eat is a skinny hopper, but he prefers fuzzies, and since he's a lizard-eater by "design", I'm just happy he eats fuzzies so well.
    Agreed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

Thanks for the reply I was under the impression that doubling up wasn't very typical, but it's good to know that just one pinky a week actually isn't enough for her. As far as frequency I think it'd be safe to start going 5-7 days between feedings instead of always feeding weekly. I have some pictures of her on her arrival thread which might help assess body condition if that's what you're looking for. I'm not using tapatalk right now so I can't upload pictures directly to this thread at the moment.
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    FYI, my hatchling rat snakes are eating either 1 pinkie every 5 days (unless in shed, then nothing until after) or the older one takes 2 pinkies about every 7 days.
    It's very obvious when they're "ready" for more... When they bump up to fuzzies, they'll be on just one at first, then 2 as they grow, etc.

I don't really need a picture...I've raised plenty of king snakes & I trust your judgement anyway. 2 pinkies every 5-7 days should be fine.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-16-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (11-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,686 Posts

I like to mix things up a bit. All of my snakes get multiple/varied prey items from time to time. I'd feed one prey item for a couple of feedings and offer two prey items every 2nd or 3rd feeding. If they can consistently and easily eat 2 pinkys then they're probably ready for fuzzys.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 11-16-2019 at 11:22 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

aurum (11-17-2019)