Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,643

3 members and 1,640 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Skipped a meal/stress?

My two month old ball python has eaten for the previous 3 weeks with no problem. But this week, yesterday, I offered him two hoppers for the first time. I gave the hoppers to him the same way I always do; already had been thawed in warm water for an hour and then dried with a hair dryer for a few minutes. He seemed interested at first, was checking them out and everything. But then he went away. Later, he came back, then went away. I ended up tossing them since I left them there till noon and he did not take them. I noticed that he moved one off the paper, but nothing more. How come he didn't eat this time? What causes ball pythons to skip a meal?

Also, I switched out bulbs and his temps are much better. The edge of his cool side can be 76 degrees, but is usually 77 or 78 degrees. Inside of his hide on his cool side stays this range. His hot spot has stayed around 88-90 degrees. But usually it's 90 degrees. His temps are checked with a temp gun. I finally ordered a better humidity gauge, so it'll be arriving this Monday (hopefully). But he's still been quite active both during night and day. When I'm away, I'll come home and see parts of bedding that have been pushed back as if he were trying to escape through the doors. I'll also see him try slithering up the terrarium edges or pushing the top of the terrarium. What could be causing him to do that? His temps have been in decent range and everything. The only thing I could think of that could cause him to stress is his humidity, since I'm still just using that stick on one from petco.
    I don't know when he'll shed. He's been dull for quite some time now. His eyes have not turned blue, but I did hear they'll eventually clear up. But would I have noticed him being in blue? He does have some white hues here and there on his face. He's been soaking frequently and "yawning". But what should I do about his shedding?

Sorry to leave so much to answer, these are just things that have continued that I still don't seem to understand. Anything helps
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Sounds like he needs to shed...many snakes refuse food when in shed. What's the humidity? (raise it when they're in shed)

Thanks

Re: Skipped a meal/stress?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sounds like he needs to shed...many snakes refuse food when in shed. What's the humidity? (raise it when they're in shed)
    The stick on thing claims its 60%. But like I said, I'm getting a better humidity gauge here soon, so I don't hold too much faith in it
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    The stick on thing claims its 60%. But like I said, I'm getting a better humidity gauge here soon, so I don't hold too much faith in it
    They are close. Mine was within 4% of my Accurite gauge. I got rid of the stick on gauge just because I didn’t want the chance of it sticking to my snake someday.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-06-2018),Traceur (10-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I know...so add some humidity...guess-timate it. I'm not seeing the snake...does he look normal? or crinkly? With experience, you'll be able to tell from just the
    way their skin folds look, like on their neck & all, or from the "halo" on their tummy 'scutes', as well as by flashlight in dark room on the arc of their eye-caps.
    Some snakes seem to take forever to shed, while others get it done faster...not much you can do about how fast their body does this. I suspect that those with
    the best health, best hydration & best nutrition are the ones that go thru the shed process faster...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I know...so add some humidity...guess-timate it. I'm not seeing the snake...does he look normal? or crinkly? With experience, you'll be able to tell from just the
    way their skin folds look, like on their neck & all, or from the "halo" on their tummy 'scutes', as well as by flashlight in dark room on the arc of their eye-caps.
    Some snakes seem to take forever to shed, while others get it done faster...not much you can do about how fast their body does this. I suspect that those with
    the best health, best hydration & best nutrition are the ones that go thru the shed process faster...
    Yeah, he appears fine. The only thing I worry about is his weight since his spine is slowly starting to stick out more. That's why I gave him another hopper, but besides that, he looks pretty good. And yeah, I don't know how to post pictures on this thing XD

As for humidity, I might use that towel trick I've been seeing. I hope that boosts his humidity pretty good. Unless adding a sponge or another moist object next to his water dish will help
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Maybe he wants something bigger than a hopper? How many days did you go between feedings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErostheSnake View Post
    Maybe he wants something bigger than a hopper? How many days did you go between feedings?

I feed him every Friday. That's what his feeding schedule was when I first got him

Also, what should the humidity be for him to shed?
    Last edited by Traceur; 10-06-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Forgot question mark
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    I feed him every Friday. That's what his feeding schedule was when I first got him

Also, what should the humidity be for him to shed
    70% is where I keep mine

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ErostheSnake For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErostheSnake View Post
    70% is where I keep mine

Ah, I have it around 80%. I'll let it air out for a few seconds

Also, he's been eating hoppers since they've been his first five meals. Last night, he was doing the same things he was doing last time I watched him eat. Just never actually ate the two hoppers
    My best friend is a cat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast