Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Reptile safe disinfectant out there?

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    I didn't know about crypto since I am only interested in ball pythons I never researched illnesses specifically common in leopard geckos. And common illnesses in ball pythons usually are not incurable and lethal, so yeah I was blissfully unaware. It was unfortunate but happend because of my caring nature. But I have learned good deeds don't pay off so even though it pains me to see mistreated animals I won't "help" again.
    What illnesses are usually lethal? I haven't heard that most are lethal, some, but not most.
    If you follow proper quarantine procedures many rescues are curable. I've seen some where geckos (even ones with rubber-like legs from mbd) are on their deathbed and still recover. However, proper quarantine is a must along with testing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    What illnesses are usually lethal? I haven't heard that most are lethal, some, but not most.
    If you follow proper quarantine procedures many rescues are curable. I've seen some where geckos (even ones with rubber-like legs from mbd) are on their deathbed and still recover. However, proper quarantine is a must along with testing.
    Well crypto is what I am talking about. I have gotten opinions on my situation from other reptile keepers before and most of them basically made clear that cryptosporida is a death sentence and it's uncurable. Most common in leopard geckos (which I didn't know) and apparently transfarable to snakes also.
    Someone even told me I should not touch my snake for two years now since these cryptos are that horrible. It basically made me feel like I have the black death in my home and my snake will be on deaths bed because of it. That's why I am paranoid now about germs with my snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    Here are 2 of the main ingredients in F10, to support your claim.
    https://www.unitedlabsinc.com/conten...msds/64sds.pdf
    https://www.essentialingredients.com...%20070%20S.pdf
    I would question anyone who says these should be inhaled.
    I know- I tried F10 a few years back, & was sorry I did after I thoroughly read the label. (It was shipped to me.) The stuff is nasty, with many product cautions, yet there is at least one "herp guy in business & with a big megaphone" that touts the F10-fogging to treat RI's in snakes. But as I tell people, these are not his personal pets, they're inventory, as far as I can tell. Big difference, at least to me. So I'd be wary of who you (anyone reading here) listen to & believe- we don't all have the same values. Don't be afraid to ask questions & use common sense.

Erie_herps, I'm so glad to know you feel the same way about using F10 as an inhaled treatment for herps after reading the "fine print".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (10-04-2021),Hugsplox (10-05-2021)

Thanks

I will be testing his poop regularly to keep my mind sane but IF in fact I had these parasites somswhere in my home it wouldn't do me much good if it comes out negative since I could still be infecting my snake every time I come in contact with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Crypto is a nasty disease and antiseptics strong enough to kill it are too strong to use directly on your reptiles. F10 will handle everything else and when dry or even just damp on a surface, like if you've wiped it with a dampened paper towel, it won't hurt your reptiles.

It's also not likely that your snake picked up crypto as transmission is fecal-oral. Lizard colonies get it because co-habitated critters run through feces, then they run through their water, and other lizards drink the water. If you washed your hands after cleaning up after the lizard then your snake is likely fine.

That's not to downplay just how dangerous crypto is - I did have a snake I purchased die from it - but because I quarantined her, always worked with her last, and washed my hands afterward, the disease never jumped to my other critters.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-04-2021 at 07:17 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bleh (10-05-2021),Bogertophis (10-04-2021),Hugsplox (10-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

I didn't know about crypto since I am only interested in ball pythons I never researched illnesses specifically common in leopard geckos. And common illnesses in ball pythons usually are not incurable and lethal, so yeah I was blissfully unaware. It was unfortunate but happened because of my caring nature. But I have learned good deeds don't pay off so even though it pains me to see mistreated animals I won't "help" again.
    There's more than just one thing to worry about your snake catching from a lizard- maybe, for example nidovirus (see below), not to mention pathogens that are as yet unknown. Alas, life is never simple or completely safe. Plenty of diseases that BPs might catch, some lethal, but that's not saying they always will either. So for now, think positive & please TRY not to panic right now. On the other hand, when you're mostly a beginner, it would be better to leave the sick herps to those with more experience, unless you have access to a really good herp vet & plenty of funds. I know you meant well, but yes, "good deeds" can bite you, or your other pets.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...21.733404/full

https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/12/11/1329/pdf
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-04-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    There's more than just one thing to worry about your snake catching from a lizard- maybe, for example nidovirus (see below), not to mention pathogens that are as yet unknown. Alas, life is never simple or completely safe. Plenty of diseases that BPs might catch, some lethal, but that's not saying they always will either. So for now, think positive & please TRY not to panic right now. On the other hand, when you're mostly a beginner, it would be better to leave the sick herps to those with more experience, unless you have access to a really good herp vet & plenty of funds. I know you meant well, but yes, "good deeds" can bite you, or your other pets.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...21.733404/full

https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/12/11/1329/pdf
    Yes I know. But I am not worried about curable diseases.
    I only picked the gecko up because I was in contact with a more experienced keeper who said she'd take it. So I considered myself only the middleman. And I didn't really think when I did this. I was just so worried about the animal that I had to act quick since I believed it could die any moment.
    But yeah, lesson learned. Being a stone hearted "don't care" person protects my animals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    It's also not likely that your snake picked up crypto as transmission is fecal-oral. Lizard colonies get it because co-habitated critters run through feces, then they run through their water, and other lizards drink the water. If you washed your hands after cleaning up after the lizard then your snake is likely fine.
    I was about to add something along these lines. So to support what bcr229 is saying here, it's very unlikely the cryptosporidium parasites, even if that is what the unfortunate little gecko suffered with, ever left its body if he didn't have a bowel movement whilst with you.

And all that aside, your basic hygiene steps between handling the gecko and BP should have been safety enough to protect your little BP.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleh For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

But yeah, lesson learned. Being a stone hearted "don't care" person protects my animals.
    I don't think this is the best attitude to have towards the situation. You've had a scare and yea if I were you, based on what appears to be some inexperience and anxiety over your healthy animals, I would maybe forego "rescuing" or fostering anything for awhile. At least until you feel really certain that you have a fail-proof quarantine process in place. Like many others have said, I don't think you have a lot to worry about with your BP.

I don't say any of that to be mean or to put you off from helping at-risk animals, and if you're interested in doing that more often I encourage you to do a lot of research and set yourself up so you can do it safetly. Safe for you and your pets.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-05-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Reptile safe disinfectant out there?

Just use f10
    Last edited by Jamiekerk; 10-09-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast