Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

1 members and 3,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Please help ball python drool

Good afternoon everyone! I have a ball python female named dreya. She just finished a beautiful shed three days ago and i took her out of her enclosure to handle and check on her an hour ago and she drooled on me. Ive never had this happen. It was very clear looked and felt like water i didnt believe it was her until i looked at her mouth and saw it drip. After she dripped about three times it was over and no more drool. I grabbed a credit card and tried to check her mouth i got her half way open and didnt see any saliva so i will check again when my husband is home to help. I listened to her breathing and i didnt hear wheezing bubbling or popping. Since she was in shed i had her humidity between 75%-80% and heating pad set to 89 now that shed is over her heat is still 89 and humidity is back to 60% is this a sign of RI? Do i bumb temp and humidity? Do i call the vet? Im freaking out this is my baby!! Her last meal was august 28th and she hasnt opened her mouth to breath at all so i guess thats good

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salmon26 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (09-05-2019),sur3fir3 (09-04-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any chance she was just drinking prior to you picking her up?
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-05-2019),sur3fir3 (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    First thing, stop freaking out...more than likely she recently took a drink of water that hadn't yet "gone down" all the way. Keep an eye on her but I'm betting
    this is all it is, from what you said. A snake's body is a long tube laying sideways...gravity helps us swallow, since we're vertical, but not much help for snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (09-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: Please help ball python drool

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Any chance she was just drinking prior to you picking her up?
    I havent been in my reptile room all morning so i can not confirm if she drank

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Salmon26 For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (09-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    First thing, stop freaking out...more than likely she recently took a drink of water that hadn't yet "gone down" all the way. Keep an eye on her but I'm betting
    this is all it is, from what you said. A snake's body is a long tube laying sideways...gravity helps us swallow, since we're vertical, but not much help for snakes.
    Im trying to stay calm im sorry. I can not confirm her drinking since i hadnt been in my reptile room pior to checking on her. I hope your right i will just keep an eye on her then

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Salmon26 For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (09-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon26 View Post
    ... It was very clear looked and felt like water...
    Willing to bet it was just water... -you're not the first one this ever happened to, lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (09-05-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Willing to bet it was just water... -you're not the first one this ever happened to, lol.
    Sorry if i seemed like a crazy lady lol i didnt know they could "spit up" water just always hear or read about RI and that seems scary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon26 View Post
    Sorry if i seemed like a crazy lady lol i didnt know they could "spit up" water just always hear or read about RI and that seems scary
    Not only that but if you handle a snake after feeding it, it may also throw up (regurgitate) on you...this is why we suggest no handling for at LEAST a day after feeding.
    What goes down into a snake comes back up & out pretty easily, especially if you don't know to hold their head up (above their body).

It's not crazy to be concerned for your pet's well-being...

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing with RI is that if you were at such an advance stage that mucus would just fall out of your BP's mouth, you would be at a VERY advance stage which means you would have noticed earlier signs such as crackling sound/whisling , open mouth breathing, rubbing etc.

Mucus just does not appear overnight, another thing the consistency between mucus and drool (from an animal drinking and being startled) is very different. Finally you mentioned a clean mouth.

I would keep an eye on the animal over the next few days and if you really have doubt take the animal to a vet and have a culture done.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    The thing with RI is that if you were at such an advance stage that mucus would just fall out of your BP's mouth, you would be at a VERY advance stage which means you would have noticed earlier signs such as crackling sound/whisling , open mouth breathing, rubbing etc.

Mucus just does not appear overnight, another thing the consistency between mucus and drool (from an animal drinking and being startled) is very different. Finally you mentioned a clean mouth.

I would keep an eye on the animal over the next few days and if you really have doubt take the animal to a vet and have a culture done.
    I deffinatly will be keeping a close eye on her thank you all for all the help sorry for my panic lol this is a wonderful forum to help those in need!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast