Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,086

0 members and 2,086 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Hocotate (Hoco) - Anery Corn Snake Progression

So, this was somewhat planned. Wasn't outright expecting to come home with anything from my first reptile show today save if one specific corn morph was there, and, well... Here he is.

After Zebes, this little one feels so small and fragile, yet he's almost a year old already (born last June). Have him living in my bedroom in a QT tub for now. Little stinker pooped on me when I held him at the show. That's how I knew it was meant to be.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022),Caitlin (04-10-2022),dakski (04-09-2022),EL-Ziggy (04-10-2022),Erie_herps (04-09-2022),Homebody (04-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    What a cutie! Corn snakes are great pets- but yes, you do have to be patient for them to get much "size"-also to watch their color changes. It's always nice to feel like you're the "chosen one" too, hahaha!

And just so you know for "next time", if you love snakes, it's nearly impossible to come home empty-handed from a reptile show. Our brains work in wild & mysterious ways, to justify whatever we buy!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-09-2022 at 02:52 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-09-2022),Snagrio (04-09-2022)

Thanks

Re: Hocotate (Hoco) - Coral Anery Corn Snake Progression

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    What a cutie! Corn snakes are great pets- but yes, you do have to be patient for them to get much "size"-also to watch their color changes. It's always nice to feel like you're the "chosen one" too, hahaha!

And just so you know for "next time", if you love snakes, it's nearly impossible to come home empty-handed from a reptile show. Our brains work in wild & mysterious ways, to justify whatever we buy!
    I really tried not to and spent what felt like half an hour holding him at the vendor's table. But the heart won over the mind.

I'm fine with his growth taking time though, gives me leeway for future enclosure plans between him and the future VBB. And it just feels nice to "complete my redemption" after regrettably rehoming my first corn all those years ago.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    ...And it just feels nice to "complete my redemption" after regrettably rehoming my first corn all those years ago.
    See? I knew you could find a "reason"! "Hearts" usually get the upper hand (so to speak). That's why shows are so dangerous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Snagrio (04-09-2022)

Thanks

Is he too small though? Some quick searches say a yearling is typically around 3 feet and he barely looks 2 feet long if that (though it's hard to tell since he's always curled up). Granted I didn't weigh or measure him due to his long stressful day.

I know snakes can grow at different rates and all, plus how much/frequently they're fed, but I'm just curious if it's something to be concerned about.

Thanks
    No, yearlings are often about 2'- don't believe everything you read- some ppl power-feed their snakes too. Yours looks fine & healthy! Corn snakes start off about 8-10" long when they hatch, & they can only eat pinkies for months, so they don't grow very fast normally. Even then, their food goes for energy (activity), not just growth. Commercial breeders do tend to feed on the light side, but either way, once snakes start eating bigger prey, they grow plenty fast.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Snagrio (04-09-2022)

Thanks

No, yearlings are often about 2'- don't believe everything you read- some ppl power-feed their snakes too. Yours looks fine & healthy! Corn snakes start off about 8-10" long when they hatch, & they can only eat pinkies for months, so they don't grow very fast normally. Even then, their food goes for energy (activity), not just growth. Commercial breeders do tend to feed on the light side, but either way, once snakes start eating bigger prey, they grow plenty fast.
    Oh that's a relief. Someone in another reptile group showed theirs at what they thought was around the same age as mine and it was huge, though they evidently misremembered when the pic was taken so the snake was undoubtedly older. Also that's on me for trusting a 10 second Google search.

Thanks for easing my worries. You know how it is when there's a new snake in the house.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022)

Thanks

Oh that's a relief. Someone in another reptile group showed theirs at what they thought was around the same age as mine and it was huge, though they evidently misremembered when the pic was taken so the snake was undoubtedly older. Also that's on me for trusting a 10 second Google search.

Thanks for easing my worries. You know how it is when there's a new snake in the house.
    Yes, I DO know all about that, many times over!

It's also possible that others got snakes that they only thought were hatchlings, or were told that, when in fact, they were a bit older. I've raised quite a few clutches of corn snakes, & some won't even eat, or at least not reliably, for a couple weeks- & even then, only very small pinkies. They can take time to "get going" strong. People buying a "baby snake" tend to think of it as just being hatched from the minute they take it home, lol. In their mind, that's the age they start from. News flash, it wasn't.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Snagrio (04-09-2022)

Thanks

Yes, I DO know all about that, many times over!

It's also possible that others got snakes that they only thought were hatchlings, or were told that, when in fact, they were a bit older. I've raised quite a few clutches of corn snakes, & some won't even eat, or at least not reliably, for a couple weeks- & even then, only very small pinkies. They can take time to "get going" strong. People buying a "baby snake" tend to think of it as just being hatched from the minute they take it home, lol. In their mind, that's the age they start from. News flash, it wasn't.
    There's also the personal whiplash of going from a big, chunky BP to what is comparatively a living piece of string so he just looks extra small to me by default.

Thanks

There's also the personal whiplash of going from a big, chunky BP to what is comparatively a living piece of string so he just looks extra small to me by default.
    Yup- there's "noodles" like rigatoni, & then there's "angel hair pasta". But they're all good.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-10-2022)

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast