Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

0 members and 2,973 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Re: Morellia Madness

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Me either. Can’t wait until all of my Morelia are big enough for 4’ cages with sky hides, perches, shelves, the whole nine yards
    Maybe that time could be sooner that you think. Isn't one of you female carpets ~3.5' now? If you plan on adding all the hide and perching options you mentioned above, I'd imagine she'd be pretty happy in a 4' cage at that size. It may actually be good to "test run" your plans for your 4' cages with one animal before outfitting the rest of your cages. I know I'm glad it ended up working out that way here!

...all this Morelia talk has had me dust off my plans for bringing one home this season. If the financial house is in order after the next round of Life Stuff and certain individuals are still on the market... maybe.

Oh, who am I kidding, probably.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-20-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-18-2021),jmcrook (01-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Maybe that time could be sooner that you think. Isn't one of you female carpets ~3.5' now? If you plan on adding all the hide and perching options you mentioned above, I'd imagine she'd be pretty happy in a 4' cage at that size. It may actually be good to "test run" your plans for your 4' cages with one animal before outfitting the rest of your cages. I know I'm glad it ended up working out that way here!

...all this Morelia talk has had me dust off my plans for bringing one home this season. If the financial house is in order after the next round of Life Stuff and certain individuals are still on the market... maybe.

Oh, who am I kidding, probably.
    Only two real reasons I haven’t put them in bigger enclosures yet.
    1. My big 4x30x24 enclosures have rather large circular vent holes that my females could probably jam their heads through with determination.
    2. Heat transfer from the panels in those cages heat the floor of the cage above it pretty warm. I could move the rack from that stack to my 4’ stack and center the 6’ cage above the collective 8’ cage below but I think I’ll save the effort for when I have the new cages set up.

Also just not a real big fan of hunting through a giant cage floor for tiny poops. Smaller enclosures makes daily maintenance much easier for me and they honestly still have plenty of space. The Brisbane female will definitely be the next for an upgrade. My rockhampton female still fits in an RBI small hide though.

I say jump on whatever Morelia you’ve got your eye on, good looking critters don’t hang around long. Notice that outstanding WOW line female from Mike Curtin isn’t listed anymore. Wonder who may have snatched her up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-18-2021),WrongPython (01-18-2021)

Thanks

Only two real reasons I haven’t put them in bigger enclosures yet.
    1. My big 4x30x24 enclosures have rather large circular vent holes that my females could probably jam their heads through with determination.
    2. Heat transfer from the panels in those cages heat the floor of the cage above it pretty warm. I could move the rack from that stack to my 4’ stack and center the 6’ cage above the collective 8’ cage below but I think I’ll save the effort for when I have the new cages set up.

Also just not a real big fan of hunting through a giant cage floor for tiny poops. Smaller enclosures makes daily maintenance much easier for me and they honestly still have plenty of space. The Brisbane female will definitely be the next for an upgrade. My rockhampton female still fits in an RBI small hide though.
    Valid points, particularly on the vent and heat transfer fronts. Do the cages you've ordered have some sort of spacer bar/stacking kit you could order if heat transfer becomes a real issue? I've seen more and more cage makers make and recommend them for stacks, to the point they suggest you don't stack without them.

I say jump on whatever Morelia you’ve got your eye on, good looking critters don’t hang around long. Notice that outstanding WOW line female from Mike Curtin isn’t listed anymore. Wonder who may have snatched her up...
    Oh? Are we going to be seeing a new update thread here soon? Not surprised she was snapped up so quick. She is a very pretty, and apparently quite "outgoing"!

Now that I've put some serious thought back into it (and spent far too much time window shopping), I'm back on the Papuan train. No matter how many Morelia I look at, I always come back to them for multiple reasons. I think that's a sign of what the best choice would be. It certainly helps that there are a few high-yellow Papuans out there, a that quite a few individuals who have caught my eye...

Tangentially, I'm thinking it would be better order a new cage for the carpet instead of upgrading Kuzco early and giving the newbie the 20L. A cage would just be much more stable, and maintaining humidity wouldn't be as much of a pain. I've been seriously investigating total acquisition costs (which also include heating, UV, and a new Herpstat) and cage lead times the past few days. It all adds up to quite a bit. My course of action would be to get (read: pay for) all of the new housing first and then go for the snake. If one of the individuals I've been eyeing is still there, maybe it was just meant to be! If not... well, a nice housing set up could always be saved and used for the next snake to catch my eye. Because there's always at least one snake like that out there, and next season is just around the corner!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-18-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    Valid points, particularly on the vent and heat transfer fronts. Do the cages you've ordered have some sort of spacer bar/stacking kit you could order if heat transfer becomes a real issue? I've seen more and more cage makers make and recommend them for stacks, to the point they suggest you don't stack without them.

Oh? Are we going to be seeing a new update thread here soon? Not surprised she was snapped up so quick. She is a very pretty, and apparently quite "outgoing"!

Now that I've put some serious thought back into it (and spent far too much time window shopping), I'm back on the Papuan train. No matter how many Morelia I look at, I always come back to them for multiple reasons. I think that's a sign of what the best choice would be. It certainly helps that there are a few high-yellow Papuans out there, a that quite a few individuals who have caught my eye...

Tangentially, I'm thinking it would be better order a new cage for the carpet instead of upgrading Kuzco early and giving the newbie the 20L. A cage would just be much more stable, and maintaining humidity wouldn't be as much of a pain. I've been seriously investigating total acquisition costs (which also include heating, UV, and a new Herpstat) and cage lead times the past few days. It all adds up to quite a bit. My course of action would be to get (read: pay for) all of the new housing first and then go for the snake. If one of the individuals I've been eyeing is still there, maybe it was just meant to be! If not... well, a nice housing set up could always be saved and used for the next snake to catch my eye. Because there's always at least one snake like that out there, and next season is just around the corner!
    No spacers for the cages on order, but the plan is to use the transferred heat from lower enclosures to provide some belly heat in the enclosures above. I heat the whole room and use the panels as supplemental heat during the day with programmed drops at night, so the heat transfer shouldn’t be much if any issue and will likely minimize the amount of power used by panels in cages higher in the stack.

I could do that all right now with the current arrangement actually, I just don’t feel like dealing with the heat tape on the bottom of my 6’ divided enclosure and moving my rack and having to shuffle thermostats around. At current sizes and growth rates I really don’t even need the three cages I ordered but I’d rather them be here and ready than need them and have to wait 2-3-7 months. Honestly might not even build them up right away.

And yes, once temps are in good order expect a bright yellow and jet black progression thread hah! Hope to see some West Papuan goodness on your end sooner than later too! Are you referring to Nick’s 2020 hatchlings? Eric’s? With unlimited space, time, and resources I’d have at least one of every carpet species if not a pair.

MM4L

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-18-2021),Toad37 (01-18-2021),WrongPython (01-18-2021)

Thanks

And yes, once temps are in good order expect a bright yellow and jet black progression thread hah! Hope to see some West Papuan goodness on your end sooner than later too! Are you referring to Nick’s 2020 hatchlings? Eric’s? With unlimited space, time, and resources I’d have at least one of every carpet species if not a pair.

MM4L
    Wooo! You have fun with that little fireball, mate! In all honesty, the main reason her brother's out of the running over here is the locked-and-loaded vibe he gives off in his pictures. I don't mind a little fire in my snakes, but that looks like too much for me, thank you!

Yeah, I'm hoping things work out this time! How fast things work out comes down to the shipping times for various things, and that's always up in the air given the pandemic. As for whose Papuans I'm looking at... well, I have to leave some element of surprise. I'll leave y'all to speculate.

On the topic of dream Morelia: if size wasn't an issue, my preference would actually be diamond -> bredli -> Papuan -> Darwin/coastal/jungle. The ecological adaptation and evolutionary history of diamonds and bredli fascinate me, but they really run the risk of outgrowing me and becoming too much snake to manage, particularly as I grow older. The evolutionary history of Papuans is also interesting (ie. Australian-not-Australian carpets cut off from the rest of the carpet lineage by the flooding of the Torres Strait), so coupled with their more manageable size, they're first up on the list.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

You da man Crook! Can’t wait to see your new girl!! MM4L
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-18-2021)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hey all. Good to see this thread still going strong.

I don't know if I'll be back on the forum beyond today, but feel free to PM me, I'll check my inbox here and there.

Hope you and your crews are all well. Everyone is doing VERY well here.

Fernie is already pushing 4 feet and looking better all the time. The bulldog head is filling in nicely.

Cornell is growing a bit slower but is 3ft and change and filling out well. He gets brighter and brighter with every shed. His head is unreal, his blacks really pop and the contrast with the yellow is awesome.

Anyway. Hope you're all well.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-22-2021),Gio (01-23-2021),jmcrook (01-20-2021),Reptile$ 4 Life (01-21-2021),richardhind1972 (01-22-2021),Toad37 (01-20-2021)

Thanks

Keeping the thread alive in Craig’s honor.
    Morelia Mafia 4 Life

Zombie Brisbane

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-22-2021),Reptile$ 4 Life (01-22-2021),richardhind1972 (01-22-2021),Toad37 (01-22-2021),WrongPython (01-23-2021)

Thanks

MMFL rip craig

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    🤘!MM4L!🤘

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2021),Gio (01-23-2021),jmcrook (01-22-2021),nikkubus (01-25-2021),Reptile$ 4 Life (01-22-2021),Sonny1318 (02-02-2021),WrongPython (01-23-2021)

Thanks

Late stage shed cycle/zombie Brisbane.

Free Craiga 01453! Morelia Mafia 4 Life!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-25-2021),Gio (01-25-2021),nikkubus (01-25-2021),Toad37 (01-25-2021),WrongPython (01-25-2021)

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast