Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,014

1 members and 3,013 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Citrus Scented Soap?

Hi guys, quick question here, I washed my hands with a citrus scented soap not long before doing some routine cage maintenance for my skink,(changing water, checking for poo etc..) and was wondering if the citrus soap is safe. The reason I ask is because I've read citrus is bad for reptiles and most pets, and I'm kinda worried that it could potentially be toxic, although it must be pretty diluted in the soap. Does anybody know if it's safe? It has typical soap ingredients along with citrus acid.
    1.0 Northern blue tongue skink
    0.1 Western hognose

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I use a lemon scented hand soap before every time I open one of my enclosures. Never noticed any problems

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Probably safe...you're not soaking the snake in it, or rubbing it on them. The amount on your dry hands is so minimal, I wouldn't worry, honestly. And fyi,
    I'm pretty careful [read: paranoid ] about many many substances used around my pets as well as on myself, and I eat organic produce, etc. etc.

Thanks

Re: Citrus Scented Soap?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Probably safe...you're not soaking the snake in it, or rubbing it on them. The amount on your dry hands is so minimal, I wouldn't worry, honestly. And fyi,
    I'm pretty careful [read: paranoid ] about many many substances used around my pets as well as on myself, and I eat organic produce, etc. etc.
    I get made fun of but I never touch a snake before using hand sanitizer. Not once, and it’s not for me it’s for the snakes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (03-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I get made fun of but I never touch a snake before using hand sanitizer. Not once, and it’s not for me it’s for the snakes
    I'm not a fan of hand-sanitizers...they are now thought to promote resistant germs. Hand washing yes, hand-sanitizers no.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm not a fan of hand-sanitizers...they are now thought to promote resistant germs. Hand washing yes, hand-sanitizers no.
    I only use them after I wash my hands with soap. Then it’s sanitizer and in between snakes I always use hand sanitizer again.

But im the guy that will eat off the ground, hardly ever get sick. I’m an Eagle Scout so I grew up outdoors. So I’m not a always washing my hands try of guy. But I won’t put my snakes or any other pets at risk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019)

Thanks

I've been using a citrus-scented dish soap to clean my BP's water bowl and feeding tongs, would that be harmful?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I've been using a citrus-scented dish soap to clean my BP's water bowl and feeding tongs, would that be harmful?
    Do u leave soap in there after ur done? If not then I say your fine, unless ur using like bath and body works type stuff that’s for extra “smell good stuff”

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019),Luvyna (03-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    I use lemon-scent hand sanitizer when handling my more foody snakes, especially my king snakes in the spring when their appetites start to return after their winter fasting, as the sharp smell helps them realize that my fingers aren't edible.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    No, as long as it's completely rinsed...and you'd want no soaps of ANY kind left anyway. Mostly I clean snake bowls* with full-strength white vinegar- it's both a mild
    germ-killer and it gets out the hard water deposits, plus it rinses clean. I re-use smaller plastic bottles (like dish soap came in) & keep one filled at kitchen & bathroom
    sinks filled with white vinegar that I buy (cheaper) by the gallon in grocery stores. It's good for many other things (sink, shower and toilet). *Dump out the water, let
    bowls sit a few minutes w/ the vinegar...about 2 T. to scrub with, then rinse. It also rinses much easier than soaps/detergents do.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BlueyLover23 (03-01-2019),Luvyna (03-01-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast