Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

0 members and 3,187 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Time to enclose it all

I've been thinking it over and this morning I decided to put 2 more Styrofoam sections on the front of my 40 glass Zilla critter cage tank. It is getting colder now where I am at in SC. (which is kind of nice) I think this will help a LOT with keeping the heat in. I have an acurite thermometer along the front and the temp difference from the back (where the hides are) and the front is getting pretty big. (75 front and 83 back)

I already have Styrofoam on all the other sides top and even the bottom, but I think I'll but 2 more strips on front (and I will leave only an inch gap between them) at the right height so I can peak and keep an eye on her and watch her hides and water bowl. I can always also look down from the trap door or top area, by removing the pieces laid up top. Most the time I don't see her anyway and she will enjoy the extra security and warmth.

Plus it will keep my 2 heat bulbs (on thermostat's) from being on as much. They are 100 watt bulbs so that adds up. I've noticed they are staying on more lately.

All that front glass exposed is bringing in too much cooler air. Anybody else who has tanks thinks that's a good idea, at least for winter.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-18-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Time to enclose it all

I'm up in Northern Va., So it's cool here too. I don't know about styrofoam but I use Reflectix insulation rated at R-21

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/1014123

I put this under my tanks, But not over the UTH. just on any bare glass, haven't wrapped a tank yet but thinking about it if needed

I do have a separate room where I keep my tanks, that I'm going to heat with a Herpstat controlled oil filled heater this winter.

I have CHE's for the top's of the tanks but haven't turned them on yet

I have my house at 73* currently, and find my snakes in the cool side hides still so I believe their still comfortable with the temps
    Last edited by Gocntry; 10-18-2019 at 01:59 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-18-2019),Bogertophis (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Many things work, & many materials are easy to install. Not sure I'd want to look at "foil" but the snake probably won't care if you don't. More expensive but
    cork looks nice too (ie. more natural).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Many things work, & many materials are easy to install. Not sure I'd want to look at "foil" but the snake probably won't care if you don't. More expensive but
    cork looks nice too (ie. more natural).
    I have the tanks wrapped on 3 sides with black construction paper to darken the tanks / block views of other snakes sitting next to each other.

The foil insulation would go on the outside of the black paper, so it hopefully the bright foil wouldn't bother the snakes at all, then in the summer

it could be removed and leave the black paper on.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-18-2019),Bogertophis (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    I have the tanks wrapped on 3 sides with black construction paper to darken the tanks / block views of other snakes sitting next to each other.

The foil insulation would go on the outside of the black paper, so it hopefully the bright foil wouldn't bother the snakes at all, then in the summer

it could be removed and leave the black paper on.
    I do something similar...insulate behind scenery that's installed. Good either way...the scenery is for me, not the snakes, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I insulate all my glass enclosures with 1/2" foam board insulation. It's not the prettiest look, but it is DEFINITELY helpful with heat and humidity retention. It helps with the electric bill too

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm still not sure this is a good idea or not. Time will tell I guess. I have had the back,bottom,sides, and top covered for a while but this is the first day I've covered every side including the front. I use black light night bulbs so it will stay very dark in there day and night. So I am wondering will the lack of any light (especially) day light cause any psychological problems (I kind of doubt that ) but was wondering. I might get a day bulb just for day time.
    I have a thought that BP's know when it is day and when it is night regardless of the light situation that is in the room, from what I have observed.

And the bigger worry is could the lack of light and almost constant darkness cause or accelerate mold. This won't make a difference on air flow just on the amount of day light coming into it. It's basically like putting it in a box as far as light coming in goes. (PS I clean my tank once a month.)

I had the inch space in the middle but moved it to the top that worked better. 2 inches or an inch and a half might have been better too instead of one inch. I will try and post a pic to my gallery.

So what do you all think concerning my concerns? Aren't gray plastic tubs in racks pretty dark 24/7 inside as well?
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 10-18-2019 at 06:13 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    I'm up in Northern Va., So it's cool here too. I don't know about styrofoam but I use Reflectix insulation rated at R-21

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R...5-ft-L/1014123

I put this under my tanks, But not over the UTH. just on any bare glass, haven't wrapped a tank yet but thinking about it if needed

I do have a separate room where I keep my tanks, that I'm going to heat with a Herpstat controlled oil filled heater this winter.

I have CHE's for the top's of the tanks but haven't turned them on yet

I have my house at 73* currently, and find my snakes in the cool side hides still so I believe their still comfortable with the temps
    Just checked out that R 21 from your link to Lowes and it is some good insulation. It has a lot higher R rating than my Styrofoam I was surprised. And at not much more cost. Thanks for the tip, might have to check that stuff out and hopefully get some. Probably a lot easier to work with than Styrofoam too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    Just checked out that R 21 from your link to Lowes and it is some good insulation. It has a lot higher R rating than my Styrofoam I was surprised. And at not much more cost. Thanks for the tip, might have to check that stuff out and hopefully get some. Probably a lot easier to work with than Styrofoam too.
    That stuff is thin and easily cut with scissors, you can cut it to any shape and size needed with no effort.

It's almost like aluminum foil with a thin padding in it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-19-2019),Craiga 01453 (10-19-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

(Up-date.) Last night I decided to pull the front Styrofoam off. Two main reasons. I wasn't able to enjoy the view at night that I love to see. I enjoy seeing my snake come out and look around at night, which I can view in the very dark light of night black light.

The second reason it will be allowing more day light in during the day and that is healthier in my opinion. I still have the back,sides, and bottom (and top even) covered with Styro... just don't want the front (every) side covered anymore. I was only going to do it for winter anyway decided not to cover the front in winter either. My heat bulbs will come on a tad more but that will give me the night viewing I love even more. Isn't that one of the reasons we have snakes is to watch them and enjoy seeing them. Nobody told me to cover the front that was my idea. And I have backed away from it. Next year I plan on using the R-21 instead of Styro..since it insultates so much better.