Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,455

0 members and 2,455 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question First Time Breeding, What Am I Forgetting?

I plan on breeding this year and it will be my first attempt. I have been doing research and such to make sure everything is ready to go. Unfortunately I suffer from terrible anxiety and don't wanna mess it up, by not doing something right.
    I have a modest collection of BP's and only one normal female at just under 2000g, I am planning on pairing her with a mojave albino or an enchi OD as back up. [I ran the outcomes already on MM, so I know what to expect.] I have been cooling them since November. I have my reptibator, perilite and tupperware for eggs, about 15 6qt tubs, getting in a F/T pinkie order by the end of the month, and here's where I feel like I'm forgetting stuff. I won't pair until I know I got it all right.

Help please? TIA

Thanks

Re: First Time Breeding, What Am I Forgetting?

In my opinion I would upgrade to a better incubator. I’m not saying you won’t be successful but I’ve heard reptibators are not all that reliable. I would also order fuzzys not pinkies. Pinkies are to small for hatchling ball pythons, I would also order a few mouse hoppers to go along with the fuzzies. Sometimes they won’t always take rats right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-16-2022),Bogertophis (01-16-2022),Erie_herps (01-16-2022),Homebody (01-16-2022),MrsNaCl (01-16-2022),SS snakes (01-18-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    In my opinion I would upgrade to a better incubator. I’m not saying you won’t be successful but I’ve heard reptibators are not all that reliable. I would also order fuzzys not pinkies. Pinkies are to small for hatchling ball pythons, I would also order a few mouse hoppers to go along with the fuzzies. Sometimes they won’t always take rats right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you! For now I'm sticking with the incubator just cause hubby got it for me as a present and I don't wanna hurt his feelings. I'm also just dipping my toes in to get a feel if this is something I want to do long term. I appreciate the advice on the fuzzys and hoppers {a good chunk of the stuff I had read said pinkies} I'll be redoing my cart!

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrsNaCl View Post
    Help please?
    Greetings!
    Everyone has their own method of breeding ball pythons. There is definitely a learning curve involved.

Based on your description, a few things I would do:
    1. Not cool my breeders, ball pythons don't need it...and other than saving electricity there is no obvious advantage (however, there are in other species). I would bring my ambient temps back up to a solid 80F 24/7.
    2. Pair NOW. Don't wait. It is not an exact science and you don't want to miss your window of opportunity because your female grew follicles early.
    3. Get a digital thermometer with a probe to eventually cross-check your Reptibator temp. controller (when in use). Reptibators were notorious several years ago for telling you one temp. and having another.
    4. Decide on a place to put the incubator where the temps. are stable day/night vs. heat and cold.
    5. Prior to use: Disinfect your incubator with 70% IPA and paper towels and let it air dry, use only distilled water for humidity (said the Microbiologist).
    6. If you notice your male and female 'squabble' when you pair them together: It would be a good idea to confirm the sex of your female (I recommend probing larger specimens). It would be disappointing to breed only one female and find out at the end of the season that you have been raising an unusually large male.
    7. Start saving fresh sheds from your males and tossing the alternate males shed into the females enclosure prior to pairing.
    8. Mojave Albino Male or Enchi OD x Normal: Using these two males: Be prepared for the possibility to identify split clutch offspring.
    9. Be prepared for the possibility that your female will not lay this year. I have more than one female at 5+ years (4000+ grams) that have not produced a single clutch, it is an exception, but, it does happen and it is annoying.

Best of Luck!
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-16-2022),Bogertophis (01-16-2022),MrsNaCl (01-16-2022),nikkubus (01-16-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    F/T pinkies, whether mouse or rat, are too small for a neonate unless you get a runt or perhaps twins. Either get mouse hoppers or rat fuzzies. You should also have a local reliable source of live feeders as not all neonates will take f/t readily.

Set up and test your incubator to make sure it works and holds temp & humidity correctly.
    Last edited by bcr229; 01-16-2022 at 10:03 AM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-16-2022),Bogertophis (01-16-2022),MrsNaCl (01-16-2022),SS snakes (01-18-2022)

Thanks

Thanks Everyone!! I'll start pairing today!! Both males shed recently so i'm in luck! I'll be sanitizing and getting the incubator in check as well. So nice to get help without heckling like on FB (yikes haha).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsNaCl For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-16-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrsNaCl View Post
    Thanks Everyone!! I'll start pairing today!! Both males shed recently so i'm in luck! I'll be sanitizing and getting the incubator in check as well. So nice to get help without heckling like on FB (yikes haha).
    For sure....this is a "no-heckle-zone"-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

SS snakes (01-18-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    F/T pinkies, whether mouse or rat, are too small for a neonate unless you get a runt or perhaps twins. Either get mouse hoppers or rat fuzzies. You should also have a local reliable source of live feeders as not all neonates will take f/t readily.

Set up and test your incubator to make sure it works and holds temp & humidity correctly.

I'd like to second this regarding the live feeder source. I know of some breeders who have tried to have the patience to get all their hatchlings started on F/T, but needed to use live for the first few meals. I often find that after you have them established and feeding regularly (IMO after 5 meals) thats a good place to start trying f/t.

Good luck with your first pairing, i'd echo what others above have said. Don't be too upset if your female doesn't go this year, as no matter how much research we do or think we understand them, they'll only go when they want to.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SS snakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-18-2022)