Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

1 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Juvenile ball python weights

I'm curious about others and how quickly your baby ball pythons grow. My boy is about 13 weeks old and he weighs 81 grams. He eats great for me, well once he got used to living with me. We had 2 weeks he wouldn't eat but now he eats great. He's got a healthy body structure and he constantly is gaining weight.

However everything I've read about a 3 month old ball python is they should weigh more. I'm not concerned about mine since he's eating and growing but I wanted to know others experiences. Ever had a slow grower or fast grower?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I wouldn't be concerned! I got my girl when she was two months old, and she only weighed about 90g. Now, she's eight months old and is still small for her age at 180g. She came to me from a rough situation, so I chalk her slow start up to that. Now, even though she's an amazing eater and, like your boy, has healthy body proportions and is always putting on weight, she'll probably always be a slow grower.

So yeah, I don't think it's anything to worry about! Some ball pythons are slow growers (like mine and yours), and some grow faster. One of my good friends has two bps from the same clutch, and at a year old one of them was twice the size of the other.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-23-2021)

Thanks

Re: Juvenile ball python weights

I don't think there is any set "rule" on how fast or slow they grow. As long as the husbandry is spot on and they are eating regularly, they will grow at their own rate.

We got Autumn on July 11, she was about 4-6 weeks old 75g, and Jasper we got on August 6, he was about 6 months old at 230g. I started weighing them about once a month, to make sure they are getting an appropriately sized feeder and track their progress, but going forward we will probably only weight them after the shed & poop:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Like the others have said, every snake is different. My male was hatched 7/19/20, came to me at about 90 grams and weighed 135 the next month. He's sitting probably right around 800g now and is little over a year old. As long as the body shape is healthy and they're putting on weight you should be good to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Mine was 95 grams when he arrived this month last year (and was born a couple months prior). Last weighing a couple weeks ago saw him at 636 grams.

Thanks

I have a hatchling I purchased in March and she hatched in January. She was 100g when I got her and she's now almost up to 500g! I also have a boy who hatched in December of 2020 and I purchased him in June at 175g, he is currently just past 500g and still pounding food like a champ. They're all different, just enjoy watching them grow!
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-23-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Was he a twin? Some snakes start small, first time breeding female or bred too young or who knows.

He’s growing an eating be happy with that an enjoy your noodle.

Good luck!

Thanks
    This is one of them topics that could go on forever...

I sometimes wonder if certain genes, or gene types influence rate of gains?!

But something I do feel is observable is when they're ready for the next feed size up and are then fed the bigger feeds, they can often get little growth spurts.

As the feed for babies is already small, there's only small gains to begin with and it can feel like it's happening really slowly, but it's not.

The 3 month old hatchlings I currently have here have more than doubled their 'weight' in a short space of time when you think of it that way, that's quite an achievement for the little guys.

Your little dude sounds like he's doing all its baby snake things just fine
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks

It does seem very interesting to look at. I wonder if there's a genetic components.

He's a pastel piebald. He eats well and is growing so I'm definitely happy with my little noodle. I purchased him at 7 weeks old so not sure if he was a twin or just small when he started. He's just about doubled in weight since I've had him which is amazing to me.

I was just curious how other ball pythons grow. This is the first baby snake I've taken care of so curious about others experiences.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk