Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,836

0 members and 2,836 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Crowley Progression

Crowley ate!!!

I got lots of advice from a good expert that is also open minded to how Crowley is the type of snake that loves to come out and explore and gave me advice on how to feed him accordingly. First I ditched the tub feeding, he now gets to eat in the safety of his hide in his house (enclosure). Using a blow dryer sealed the deal for getting Crowley to eat.

What I did was, I didn't take Crowley out at all last night, didn't even go see him, I changed his water while he was sleeping. I let him remember that he is a snake again. Tonight I fed Crowley in his enclosure, at first he looked interested but didn't bite, I used a blow dryer to warm the rat and he struck it right away. He ate that rat so fast. I have proof on video, I wasn't aiming at getting a good camera angle but was more into getting Crowley fed so the camera stayed in its usual spot. The video starts from right before his strike till he drags the rat into his hide and you can no longer see it but I can assure you that he did indeed eat. I am so proud of my little Crowley and am so happy to get the most wonderful advice from my favorite expert. I will not post this person's name to protect them in case they do not want to be mentioned but if you are reading this and I'm sure you will, feel free to post if you'd like, you know who you are.

Here is the video:

I am so happy Crowley is eating, he still gets to cruise around his room like he loves to do, hang out with me and is now eating with just a few changes. That blow dryer really did the trick, he struck so fast after using it. I'm sure that and him feeling secure in his house is what got him eating. No more eating in a tub for Crowley. I'd also like to mention it is around -4F (-20C) outside though his room and enclosure are the perfect temperatures for him. Now it's time to let Crowley rest for a few days before he gets to do missions again. I'm sure he will be on "turbo" next time he comes out now that he's got a nice big meal in him.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-12-2019),Luvyna (11-12-2019)

Thanks

Re: Crowley Progression

Way to go Crowley!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Yesssss! Woo-Hoo! I knew you could do it, Crowley! Good snake!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    So Crowley ate on Tuesday and took it easy for a bit like he normally does after eating for the first time after a fast. He decided to come out yesterday, Sunday. I had to go do some errands when his light shut off so he was out of his hide basking in his bamboo waiting for me to come home which took me a little over an hour since the time his light shut off. He's a smart snake, he waited for me to come back and open his door before he peed.

He's done this many times, it actually used to be a routine for him where he'd only pee if I was the with him with the door open. He even used to shed and hold in his pee till I showed up whether it was that night or the next day. Normally he'll pee right after a shed, which is what he does nowadays. He used to care more about not having to sleep in a tank with pee back when he had the smaller enclosure. Well he did that today, maybe his old habits are coming back, which I like because I don't have to feel bad for leaving him in pee overnight and all day.

If it happened once or twice I'd call it a coincidence but for how often he's waited for me to show up then pees within 10 minutes then comes out, I call that being a smart and clean snake. His routine a few years ago was that I had to open his door and sit next time him before he would be, did this every time. I was always around for him so he never had to hold it for more than a day.

I am so happy he came out and enjoyed his missions, I really missed him. Watching him roam around and come see me and hang out with me or around my neck is just so therapeutic for me. He's like a son to me, I love him so much and I am so proud of him. Tonight he was at the door of his enclosure shortly after his light shut off and came out right away. I am currently in the room with him, glancing over at him every 10-15 seconds or so, I never leave him unsupervised. I even have my nanny cam feed right under my monitor but I don't rely on it too much and still glance over at Crowley as it can get delayed, never know when the wifi will decide to stop working.

Here's a video of Crowley doing some missions:

I also have a time lapse video I will probably post tomorrow of Crowley after I put him back in his enclosure for the night. He was so active and full of energy and still wanted out. I usually just let him out for 2-2.5 hours. He just went for a pee, time to go clean up, I'm not surprised as he does pee once and then the next day sometimes. He went in an easy spot to clean, such a good snake. <3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-19-2019)

Thanks
    Pee cleaned! That was like the easiest spot he could pee for me to clean. I also would like to mention that my parents are making Crowley 4 new concrete hides that will be heavy so he can't "turtle" around in them (move with them) as he does that with his current hides. They should be ready some time in December or January, lots of curing time for both the concrete and the sealant I will be putting. I also plan on painting them (before sealing of course). This will make it so I no longer have to use his light hides and the ones with the beds. I will probably keep one of his brown hides outside his enclosure as I think he likes them and store the black ones with the beds. The concrete ones will of course be his main ones in his enclosure and I have 2 spares for extra hiding spots outside the enclosure. Can't wait to offer them to him. I love spoiling my little guy so much. My dad does model train stuff and is very good at making stuff like this. Here are a few pictures of the progress:

Cutting the chicken wire to size and making a foam piece to make the entrance:

Putting a layer of concrete then the chicken wire then another layer of concrete (the chicken wire keeps it together in case it cracks):

Finished and waiting for it to cure for at least 48 hours:

The finished product 48 hours later next to his old hide to compare, the hide is the perfect size (they look big but there is a lot of thickness to the concrete), the entrance is also the perfect size for him to love it, big enough to drag a rat in and small enough to still be hidden. There is a bit of cracking but it will hold due to the chicken wire:

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Alien (11-19-2019),Bodie (11-19-2019),Bogertophis (11-19-2019),Luvyna (11-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    So Crowley ate on Tuesday and took it easy for a bit like he normally does after eating for the first time after a fast. He decided to come out yesterday, Sunday. I had to go do some errands when his light shut off so he was out of his hide basking in his bamboo waiting for me to come home which took me a little over an hour since the time his light shut off. He's a smart snake, he waited for me to come back and open his door before he peed.

He's done this many times, it actually used to be a routine for him where he'd only pee if I was the with him with the door open. He even used to shed and hold in his pee till I showed up whether it was that night or the next day. Normally he'll pee right after a shed, which is what he does nowadays. He used to care more about not having to sleep in a tank with pee back when he had the smaller enclosure. Well he did that today, maybe his old habits are coming back, which I like because I don't have to feel bad for leaving him in pee overnight and all day.

If it happened once or twice I'd call it a coincidence but for how often he's waited for me to show up then pees within 10 minutes then comes out, I call that being a smart and clean snake. His routine a few years ago was that I had to open his door and sit next time him before he would be, did this every time. I was always around for him so he never had to hold it for more than a day.

I am so happy he came out and enjoyed his missions, I really missed him. Watching him roam around and come see me and hang out with me or around my neck is just so therapeutic for me. He's like a son to me, I love him so much and I am so proud of him. Tonight he was at the door of his enclosure shortly after his light shut off and came out right away. I am currently in the room with him, glancing over at him every 10-15 seconds or so, I never leave him unsupervised. I even have my nanny cam feed right under my monitor but I don't rely on it too much and still glance over at Crowley as it can get delayed, never know when the wifi will decide to stop working.

Here's a video of Crowley doing some missions:

I also have a time lapse video I will probably post tomorrow of Crowley after I put him back in his enclosure for the night. He was so active and full of energy and still wanted out. I usually just let him out for 2-2.5 hours. He just went for a pee, time to go clean up, I'm not surprised as he does pee once and then the next day sometimes. He went in an easy spot to clean, such a good snake. <3
    I'm sorry but this post strikes me as delusional. The attachment you have to this animal I think is beyond unhealthy and at this point I might consider talking with someone about it. The post you made when he was "spazzing out" where you were sobbing and panicking and now this really connect the dots of extreme anthropomorphism. Coming from someone who works in medicine I would really re-consider the attachment you have to this animal or ANY animal for that matter. I would be concerned about your well being in the unfortunate case that something happens to the him.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

cincy (11-19-2019),Craiga 01453 (11-18-2019),GoingPostal (11-20-2019),jmcrook (11-18-2019),Kira (12-19-2019),wnateg (11-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    The way you say you dont want him to sit in pee all day and that he's your son, makes me think that you actually believe this animal is your baby child.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-18-2019)

Thanks
    Would like to clarify, He's like my son but I don't mean that like his a human son. I don't have kids so I consider my snake to be my reptilian son, I call myself mommy to him. I still treat him like a snake, sure he has a large room to roam around in but otherwise I treat him like a regular snake. I don't bring him around town or anything crazy like that. I also have a bird I call my baby brother/adopted son (he was my mom's) but I still treat him like the parrot he is.

On another subject I will explain why I am so convinced Crowley can show love and affection with a couple stories and why I will never be convinced otherwise.

Love can be interpreted so many ways, so understandably some won't believe it and some do, I like to keep an open mind about both and respect those who don't believe it as much as those that do. By definition when googling the word love, it simply means:
    1- an intense feeling of deep affection for something. "Babies fill parents with feelings of love"
    2- a great interest and pleasure in something "his love for football"
    3- feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone) "Do you love me?"

Alright so it's not number 2 or 3 but 1 is a maybe. I find (and probably just really want it to be this way) that Crowley does love me and also my husband. I've had so many experiences with him not to believe it. One time about 3-4 years ago, Crowley was doing his fasting for the winter and didn't really come out much. Well I was having a really bad mental breakdown and Crowley came out to comfort me even though he wasn't likely to come out that night as it was late, passed 11pm, so if he was gonna want to come out he would have usually asked by then. I was crying next to his enclosure (the computer was next to him at the time, small apartment problems) and he must of known how I was feeling as he came out to comfort me and that he did. My sad tears became happy tears instantly.

Another example of why I believe Crowley can show love, I think I've said this story before in my last thread, well it was when my first apartment flooded and I had to leave Crowley at my parents place till we found a new place to live, which took about a month. I visited him every opportunity I had when he was at my parents and cried every time I had to leave as my parents went to bed early (early for a nocturnal). Once my husband and I finally moved and got Crowley settled in, that night I took him out and he immediately went up to my nose and gave me like a 5 minute hug, resting his head on my nose. My heart melted and that was when I was convinced Crowley can love and really can show affection. He wasn't cold so when people say he was probably just getting my warmth and warm breath I don't believe it for a second.

Sorry for any confusion I've cause by calling my snake my son. He is a snake and I know that, he is eating and is a happy snake. I know a few people that also call their pets "their kids" but they treat them like the animals they are. It's more just how I say something and not how I treat something. I will work on getting my time lapse up soon so everyone can see what Crowley does overnight after I put him back.
    Last edited by Valyndris; 11-19-2019 at 08:30 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (11-19-2019)

Thanks
    Here is the time lapse of Crowley after I put him back from his first time doing missions after eating in his room/enclosure, he ate Tuesday and came out Sunday, this footage was from Sunday night. He does a lot of smushing (riding the glass) asking to come out but he also has a lot to do in his enclosure and isn't just wanting out the whole time. He goes in his bamboo a lot. He was very active now that he had a nice meal to eat. This snake loves to cruise around.

Thanks

For a forum that touts being non-judgmental and open minded, there seem to be a lot of people on here who have the mind set that their way is the only way. I will probably get blasted for this post but I have been following this whole thread about Crowley and some of the things people have been saying are down right cruel. If Crowley was a dog and she said that he was like her son (which many many people say about their pets) nobody would be calling them delusional. I may not agree with some of the ways this snake is kept but she did make improvements to help get him back on track. If you can't be nice about your opinions maybe they should just be kept to yourself. I don't agree with keeping an animal in a tiny plastic tub with nothing but a water bowl but people do it every day. So really, if the way she keeps her snake bothers you so much, quit reading her posts. I can't stand see someone being bullied over and over. You guys already got the other thread shut down, so just leave her alone.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (11-19-2019),Bogertophis (11-19-2019),Luvyna (11-19-2019),Shayne (12-28-2019),SilentHill (11-19-2019),Valyndris (11-19-2019),wnateg (11-19-2019),Zincubus (11-19-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast