Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,911

2 members and 2,909 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

In shedding process.

So my guy is going through his first pre shed signs. Here's my question...

is is it alright to handle him during the time between when his eyes return to black ( they are white at the moment) and his actual shed?

Could it it actually help him shed because he likes to wrap around my neck and "message" his body or in other words flex and relax himself repeatedly against my neck...( he was only seems to do this when around my neck).

He is not a timid snake and seems to enjoy hanging out and having back and cheek rubs( I know, I know, they just tolerate it is what everyone says) and does not ever show sign of stress from being handled. I do handle him daily, sometimes two or three times a day. He doesn't ball up, is active, and regularly eats so don't tell me it's bad to handle him that much. If he shows signs of stress or that he wants to hide I put him away immediately. Sorry I got off topic....

his feed day day is this weekend so as long as his eyes clear up I am going to try and stick to his regular feeding and see if he's open to it.

basically, when his eyes get back to normal is it usually okay to handle between then and shed if he seems comfortable?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: In shedding process.

It is generally not recommended to handle a snake during the shedding process. It can possibly cause a bad shed and a lot stress to the animal. However, it is your snake, so do whatever you wish. I just know if that were my snake, I would not be handling during the shedding process period.

Thanks
    mine always eats and handles well during shed but i guess it differs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gplegend11 View Post
    So my guy is going through his first pre shed signs. Here's my question...

is is it alright to handle him during the time between when his eyes return to black ( they are white at the moment) and his actual shed?

I have handled my snakes while in blue but only for short periods of time and if they seemed panicky (flighty), I didn't bother. Actual shed? Usually a short process but I would leave them be while actually shedding their skin off.
    Could it it actually help him shed because he likes to wrap around my neck and "message" his body or in other words flex and relax himself repeatedly against my neck...( he was only seems to do this when around my neck).

Again, I'd leave them be while shedding. They shouldn't need help while shedding.

He doesn't ball up, is active, and regularly eats so don't tell me it's bad to handle him that much. If he shows signs of stress or that he wants to hide I put him away immediately.

Too much handling can lead to stress. While it is okay for a Ball Python to roam and explore, usually a balled up Ball is a happy Ball (also goes "A hiding Ball is a happy Ball). If they are moving fast and away from you, they are stressed and I'd put them back. They aren't really exploring snakes unless out hunting or looking for a new place to hide.

his feed day day is this weekend so as long as his eyes clear up I am going to try and stick to his regular feeding and see if he's open to it.

Feed if they'll take it. If they don't and usually do, I would no longer feed during sheds. Mine seem to take prey items fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PokeyTheNinja For This Useful Post:

gplegend11 (04-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonluvr View Post
    It is generally not recommended to handle a snake during the shedding process. It can possibly cause a bad shed and a lot stress to the animal. However, it is your snake, so do whatever you wish. I just know if that were my snake, I would not be handling during the shedding process period.
    Are you meaning during the white eyes and then the actually process of shedding? Or the 10-14 day period from start to finish. I cannot go that long without handling him. I get not to handle him when his eyes change and when his skin is coming off. But a lot say that there is anywhere from 1-5 days between the eye change and the actual shed. That's the time period I am wondering about?

Thanks

Also to pokey the ninja, thanks for the answers. I do handle him a lot but when I take him out I put him somewhere warm and secure like my sweater pocket or something like that and let him decide when to come out. Every time, wether it's right away or five minutes, he will either poke his head out and chill or come out and slowly wander around for a bit untill he finds another place to hang out. If he is moving too much or stays hidden too long I put him away pronto.

Thanks

Are you meaning during the white eyes and then the actually process of shedding? Or the 10-14 day period from start to finish. I cannot go that long without handling him. I get not to handle him when his eyes change and when his skin is coming off. But a lot say that there is anywhere from 1-5 days between the eye change and the actual shed. That's the time period I am wondering about?
    This is a very strong reason for people getting more than one snake. You are better equipped to accommodate your desire to handle one and their desire to be undisturbed. Stressed snakes eventually become sick snakes.

Then you have no snakes.
    Last edited by rock; 04-20-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

From start of the shed process to finish it is advised not to handle the snake more than you absolutely have to. Needing to move the animal for spot cleaning or something is fine, but handling just to handle can lead to stress, bad sheds, etc...

You can't go 10-14 days (all of my snakes shed in under 10 days, and my BP sheds 4-5 days after his belly turns pink and his eyes go opaque) without holding your snake? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this your first snake? in it's first shed? So I'm guessing you went a lot longer than 10-14 days without handling a snake up until now. Please take the snake's well-being into consideration. Handling just to handle when you are being advised by people who have years of experience is selfish. And frankly, why ask questions if you aren't going to listen to the answers? You basically said in the original thread that you are going to handle him as much as you want regardless of what people say. So why ask?

You're going to have your snake for many years IF you learn from the experienced, knowledgeable people on here and apply what you learn. You care about your snake? Then think about your snake's needs and put your selfish desire to handle the animal on hold for a few days. You'll be ok and the snake will be better off.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    From start of the shed process to finish it is advised not to handle the snake more than you absolutely have to.[\QUOTE]"............

what is considered the start? The opaque eyes and pink belly? The color dimming before the white eyes? Explain please. I read that the dimming can happen a week before the eyes. Then the eyes change for a few days. Then go back to normal for a time frame. Then the skin comes off. So when do I leVe it alone and increase humidity?
    Handling just to handle when you are being advised by people who have years of experience is selfish. And frankly, why ask questions if you aren't going to listen to the answers? You basically said in the original thread that you are going to handle him as much as you want regardless of what people say. So why ask?[\QUOTE].............

I said I will handle him as much as I want as long as it does not induce stress, hence the question of the timeline during shed when he should be left alone, because that is something I do not know.

[/QUOTE] You're going to have your snake for many years IF you learn from the experienced, knowledgeable people on here and apply what you learn. You care about your snake? Then think about your snake's needs and put your selfish desire to handle the animal on hold for a few days. You'll be ok and the snake will be better off.[/QUOTE]...........

I ask very detailed questions and the problem is that, "experienced and knowledgable" people like you respond with a single statement that either does not answer the question, only answers a part of it which leaves more questions, or leaves a rude comment that accomplishes nothing because you feel entitled due to having more experience.

If the "experienced and knowledgeable" members of this forum really care then give me a full detailed answer, an explanation why, and what to expect. Otherwise what experience and knowledge are you really bringing to the table besides making yourself feel smarter than others.

I have made multiple threads with lots of very detailed questions, hoping someone would care enough to give detailed answers with explanations, and have never had a memeber give me a full answer, or an explanation as to the why behind their statement. Also realize that I get opposite info from multiple members and every site I visit. So don't unsult me or treat me like I am ignorant when I have put every moment of my free time to learn more and ask questions, only to find nothing but contradictory info, veterans of this forum who look down on beginners and don't care to instruct and teach but mostly throw around insults, and then the rare response that is actually helpful, but still doesn't explain the whole thing.

If if your so good then teach. Explain. Use detail. Share your knowledge to the full extent that it will help in each situation. That's why you are here correct? Or is it to make yourself feel cool because you can look at other people's questions and think they are silly because they haven't learned yet.?

this goes out to all you "veterans" of this site..... stop judging, educate, be helpful, explain, share wisdom, share knowledge, encourage, answers people's questions to the fullest of your knowledge. They ask specific things for a reason. Most importantly, realize you have influence and can make a difference IF you actually educate people in the subject of their question. That's the whole point of this forum no?

Thanks

welcome to this site. i have learned this same thing you are saying. i stopped asking questions also because of this situation a lot of sarcastic people who think a beginner who is asking questions are either stupid or dont comprehend because we are new to the hobby. but i guarantee that i have asked questions and i received multiple different answers from multiple people so i just wing it the best i can.. so far reese is doing well and thriving.. hope all is well.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deu2e For This Useful Post:

gplegend11 (04-21-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast