Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

0 members and 2,978 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Dirt/Substrate in Mouth Question

So, it's clear to me that I am going to have to start using the cardboard/paper plate/plastic under the feeding method. Rats seem to collect far more substrate than mice did, but anyways...

Right now, there is visible substrate in Sushi's mouth. The post-meal yawn revealed a patch or two of what must be coco husk. Should I rinse it out of there? And if so, do I just use the q-tip stick method of opening his mouth, then flush with clean water in a syringe or something? Seems like the logical way, but I figure it's best to ask first.

Thanks in advance!
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    If it's just the fine granular coco husk stuff, you might first try dipping her mouth to encourage drinking...that might do it, & its a lot more stress to forcefully
    open a snake's mouth, especially since you'll risk a regurge right after a meal if there's too much "handling"...but whatever works, good luck. It won't hurt if
    she swallows this stuff, but leaving it stuck in her mouth/teeth can set up an infection.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-21-2019 at 06:16 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-22-2019),fadingdaylight (04-22-2019)

Thanks

Re: Dirt/Substrate in Mouth Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If it's just the fine granular coco husk stuff, you might first try dipping her mouth to encourage drinking...that might do it, & its a lot more stress to forcefully
    open a snake's mouth, especially since you'll risk a regurge right after a meal if there's too much "handling"...but whatever works, good luck.
    Thank you. It is the fine stuff. I was thinking I would wait 48 hours before trying to rinse it the unpleasant way. Definitely do not want to risk regurgitation, especially since this is only the second rat. I didnt think to try offering a drink though.

Obviously, over a long period of time, dirt in the mouth could cause some problems, and I'm sure wild snakes consume some, and wind up with it in their mouths, but then, wild snakes are prone to a lot of health concerns that captive snakes "shouldn't" have to worry about, if the keeper is doing their part. Will letting things be for 2 days, in order to prevent possible regurgitation, be fine?
    - Jason

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You might try getting her to drink now, IF you can do it without too much handling...just dip her face into a bowl of water- but it depends on her personality too,
    or how much she's been handled previously by you...& if you think she'll be too freaked out? (& yes, 2 days is fine)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-21-2019 at 07:08 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You might try getting her to drink now, IF you can do it without too much handling...just dip her face into a bowl of water- but it depends on her personality too,
    or how much she's been handled previously by you...& if you think she'll be too freaked out? (& yes, 2 days is fine)
    Pretty regular handling. This happened last week also, except there was a piece of cypress mulch sticking out of his mouth, so I carefully held behind the head with one hand and plucked it out with the other, immediately after eating, with no negative consequence. I will try to coax a drink to help for now, then keep an eye out for yawns over the next two days. Worst comes to worse, I will check on Tuesday evening and rinse if need be.

Thanks again, as always, your experience is greatly appreciated.
    - Jason

Thanks

Don't... touch it.

It's not necessary to touch it and stress out your snake.

I have a spider that misses sometimes because of the head-wobble and gets a mouthful of dirt. She spits it out or swallows it and will go drink water herself if she wants to - just leave them alone for a few minutes to gather themselves together. It just takes patience, she'll go after the mouse again in a few minutes. I won't lie, my BP has an air of shame whenever it happens, like she disappointed all her reptilian ancestors, and will shrink for a moment before throwing the shame away because she's hungry.

There are plenty of snakes in the wild that miss their moving prey and get mouthfuls of dirt. They can digest bones in 24 hours. A little substrate won't kill them.

(If it's the aspen chips, that's fine too - unless it's a lot a lot or a huge piece. Again, they normally figure it out themselves, but one time a chip was stuck on her teeth and that is the only time I've ever interfered and touched her to get substrate out)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CCBaer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mine likes to roll her rat in the substrate before eating, no matter what I do to stop it. She gets substrate in her mouth for sure and has never had an issue with it. I would leave it and just keep a watch to make sure he clears it.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

11. The Following User Says Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post: