Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible Power Outages/ Hurricane Prep

Hello!

I'm a new keeper and I'm having trouble on what exactly to prepare for my little guy. As most of the country knows, Hurricane Dorian is wrecking most of the eastern United States and unfortunately I'm in it's path (Barrier Islands, NC)
    I'm not too sure on what I'll need, or if he'll(ball python) be just fine. I've bought extra batteries for my hydrometer and I've bought some hand warmers in an attempt to keep his hot side the same temp. The temps will be upper 80's to high 60's and humidity will be around 60-70%. Along with this, he's had a pink belly for about a week now and I'm not exactly sure when he'll shed and how long we'll be out of power.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Oh, I'm SO sorry you're in the path! Are you sure you're on high enough ground? If not, please evacuate!!!

You need supplies for yourself as well...bottled water, flashlights, food that doesn't require refrigeration (don't forget a manual can opener), a porta-potty, & plenty
    of hand-sanitizer, etc. Be aware that those hand warmers for keeping your BP warm can run hot enough to burn him...you need to monitor the temperature (temp.
    gun or thermometer) & wrap them in cloth or paper, so they don't touch him.

For best results in emergency situation: keep your snake in a secured pillowcase, then keep that in an "ice chest" (or thick styro-foam box like food & reptiles are
    air-shipped in. It's much easier to keep him warm enough in that confined (& more importantly) insulated space, & your hand warmers will go much further that way.
    If you have to evacuate, better he's packed this way & ready to go.

Please stay safe & let us know you're ok when you can (I'm sure you'll be without power for a while).

And I think you meant to say "hygrometer" (not hydrometer)? I think measuring the exact humidity is the least of your worries in this.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-03-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Possible Power Outages/ Hurricane Prep

My bad on the misspelling, I ment the hygrometer lol!

We're in the further inland part of the islands and we're not thinking that we'll get evacuated. And thank you for your concern!
    Would you suggest keeping him in his normal substrate(cypress mulch) or keep him on paper towels?
    Again, thank you for the help!

Thanks
    As long as he's in his normal enclosure (& you don't need to evacuate) he's better off (for humidity) on cypress mulch.

I've never been in a hurricane, but I've been thru an ice storm that caused a very long power outage. (ice storms topple trees that block roadways, so power
    can't be restored until the roads are cleared enough for crews to fix downed power lines...who knew?)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Tisiphone (09-03-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Bogertophis gave some great advice. I'd just like to add that BPs tend to do better with cooler temps than warmer if optimal temps can't be reached. So if your temps can remain in the low 70s or above you may not need the heat packs. Or at least maybe not during the day?

I wish you the best. Make sure to make sure you're safe. If we don't take care of ourselves first we can't be there for our pets.

I'm further up the coast in MA, I'm hoping the forecasts are true and Dorian blows into the Atlantic before reaching here. Looks like a rainy, windy weekend here. Fingers crossed.

I'm not the praying type, but all my best wishes are being sent your way. Stay safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Tisiphone (09-03-2019)

Thanks

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help!

(Bet that Ice storm was fun lol)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tisiphone For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2019)

Thanks

Thank you!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tisiphone View Post
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help!

(Bet that Ice storm was fun lol)
    Ice storms suck. The last one we had here people were without power for up to 19 days. I was fortunate enough to hit a hotel for a few days before my exes father got power back and we bunked up there.
    My parents were both without power for 11 and 16 days. Mine came back on day 13.
    Luckily this was during the time I "took a break" and had rehomed all my animals.

...and wouldn't you know it, my electric bill was somehow higher the month I went 2 weeks without power than the surrounding months...Then the CEO of the power company took a $1Million performance bonus a few weeks later....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tisiphone View Post
    ...(Bet that Ice storm was fun lol)
    Oh yeah... But at least none of my food went bad...I put refrigerated stuff in the garage (it stayed 40*) and frozen stuff in an ice chest outside on my shaded patio,
    along with some icicles, & all stayed frozen.

I hope you have a lot less "fun" than I did... it's not a contest that you want to win.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    A bit late now but if you know that bad weather is expected and the power might be out, make sure you skip the prior week's feeding. It won't hurt your snake to miss a meal and if it ends up getting too cool it's better if the snake has an empty stomach so it doesn't regurgitate.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (09-04-2019),Bodie (09-03-2019),Bogertophis (09-03-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-03-2019),dakski (09-09-2019),Tisiphone (09-04-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast