Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,957

1 members and 2,956 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: BP acts weird when feeding/won't eat

Quote Originally Posted by RyanTheNoodleMan View Post
    Why would a 20 gallon be too big when bps come from the wild? Don't you mean I should add more clutter? I'm going to take the advice but I just want to understand some things.
    And in the wild they do not live in big wide open space either they live in dark tight termite mount and only come out at night (and they don't room around for hundred of miles either at once), more importantly this is NOT the wild this is captivity so it's really comparing apple and oranges here when it comes to behaviour and stress factors.

By being a poor feeder your snake was telling you that some things were not working for him (prey size, enclosure
    are what jump outs immediately could be more issues too) and you fail to understand that because you are a new owner which is ok many have that issue.

Now can it be fix? Yes if YOU are willing to listen.

Now it's not about the next person saying I have kept my BP in a 40 gallons tank since it was an hatchling and it's doing great it's about YOUR snake not doing good in a larger setup that are usually recommended for snake 500 grams and up.

Considering the current size of your snake you need to make those changes and fast 9 months old and 98 grams is not great especially for an animal that at a point was 120 grams.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-21-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-21-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-21-2019),Moose84 (07-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

Now can it be fix? Yes if YOU are willing to listen.

Now it's not about the next person saying I have kept my BP in a 40 gallons tank since it was an hatchling and it's doing great it's about YOUR snake not doing good in a larger setup that are usually recommended for snake 500 grams and up.
    What size gallon tank do you feel he should try? Or are you saying he has to use a small quart plastic tub like Moose84 is saying? Are we now saying on here that snakes have to started out in plastic tubs or are you all allowing people to use glass enclosures? (Or is this special circumstance because of the snakes condition?) If you feel he can have glass, what size a 10 gallon? If not what size plastic tub does he need?
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 07-21-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    What size gallon tank do you feel he should try? Or are you saying he has to use a small quart plastic tub like Moose84 is saying. Are we now saying on here that snakes have to started out in plastic tubs or are you all allowing people to use glass enclosures? (Or is this special circumstance because of the snakes condition?) If you feel he can have glass, what size a 10 gal. if not what size plastic tub does he need?
    Click the link that Deborah and I both posted. This is a temporary thing so the snake can get back on feed and gain weight. It is way too thin at 98 grams and falling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Has prey temperature been addressed yet? You said you go from frozen to thaw in a cup of hot water for 15min, heat lamp if needed.

I think you are underwarming your prey, 15 min is never enough for me. It needs to be about 100 degrees throughout the body. You may be partially thawing and then only heating the surface with a lamp.

I do a minimum of a 1 hour soak, a second hour with a water change, then a quick reheating in fresh hot water for 5 minutes. Even then I still get a frozen brain sometimes.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoatBoy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-21-2019),Craiga 01453 (07-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    Click the link that Deborah and I both posted. This is a temporary thing so the snake can get back on feed and gain weight. It is way too thin at 98 grams and falling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did, so never mind my questions. I decided to follow that link before you posted this but thanks.
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 07-21-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks

What size gallon tank do you feel he should try? Or are you saying he has to use a small quart plastic tub like Moose84 is saying? Are we now saying on here that snakes have to started out in plastic tubs or are you all allowing people to use glass enclosures? (Or is this special circumstance because of the snakes condition?) If you feel he can have glass, what size a 10 gallon? If not what size plastic tub does he need?
    No one is saying anything about starting all of them out in tubs.. Lets not run with that and start any rumors... No one is "allowing" anyone to do anything. This isn't the "ball python police..." If you read the thread, you will see this snake is very underweight (98 grams at 9 months old) and has lost 20% of his body weight since starting a fast.. Once again, if you read the thread carefully this is purely a measure to get the animal back on feeding again and get it to a safe weight.. This is in the animals best interest.. No one is saying tanks are cursed and shouldn't be used.. Lets make that clear..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (07-22-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

None I already posted a link we are not talking about setting up a new acquired animal that is thriving here, we are talking about get back on track an animal that is not doing well. There is a difference between troubleshooting an issue and setting up an animal for the first time, usually speaking when talking to my customer (if this is their first snake I recommend a 10 gallons tank) you can read my detailed recommendation for new owner here https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ips-and-Tricks
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (07-22-2019),Moose84 (07-22-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234